Need Help! Acne spots and dull, darkened skin :(

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ladies,

I am a 35-old gal of Indian origin, brown skinned. I have oily/combination acne prone skin. I was doing ok till I had my first baby and then now after 5 years, my skin started breaking out as hell. Below is my skin care routine:

Morning:
Paula’s Choice skin balancing Resist toner
Paula’s choice 2% BHA exfoliator
Serumtologie Vit C serum
Paula’s Choice sunscreen spf 30

Night
Dr Dennis Gross daily Alpha-Beta peel
Insta Natural Retinol serum
Paula’s Choice hydrating light moisturizer

When things break-out bad, I use Dr. Dennis Gross acne clearing treatment pads and sometimes 10% Benzyl Peroxide gel. I also use weekly, Ren Radiance peel.

My issue is this -

While I am able to get rid of the acne in or 1 or 2 days, they leave brown spots. I just don’t seem to be able to get rid of these spots
My skin is dull and lacks brightness. The brightening serums I use obviously don’t seem to be working

Any helpful advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Hey Zia

Do you have a naturopath near you? It sounds as though your hormones are out of wack. I have had skin issues in the past and have been able to resolve them through diet and supplements. Quite often what happens to our skin is a symptom relating to something that is happening within our bodies.

Sorry, I know you were probably looking for some product suggestions! But seeing a naturopath might get to the root cause.

Hey Jen

I spoke to both my doc and a Naturopath. Doc put me on antibiotics for 2 months and that did not help.

Naturopath recommended supplements: Turmeric, Pantothenic Acid - which I took. It does reduce my acne but the spots from older ones are my big issue, as also dull, darkened skin.

I wonder if the products you are using are over drying your skin. I have a combo skin that used to be more oily and during and after pregnancies it definitely changed. What I noticed with mine though is that I needed a really good moisturizer. I use a heavier moisturizer at night and it seems to do wonders for my skin and my skin is less oily since I've been doing this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reija, I never considered that! I will use a thicker moisturizer starting tonight, and see how it goes!! Thank you :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I think Benzyl Peroxide is what is causing my brown spots, not sure what will fix exisiting spots though.

Reija, I never considered that! I will use a thicker moisturizer starting tonight, and see how it goes!! Thank you :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">

I think Benzyl Peroxide is what is causing my brown spots, not sure what will fix exisiting spots though.
Hope it works for you. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20"> Have you tried a serum or moisturizer meant specifically for brown spots? Usually things like retinol, vitamin c, and liquorice are used in spots reducing moisturizers/serums to lighten the skin. L'oreal has dark spot reducing serum ((I haven't personally tried it) as do many other lines depending on your budget. It takes a while for products like that to work though. It's not an overnight fix. I also highly recommend looking into Korean skin care. I can't believe how well Korean skin care products work compared to their Western counterparts, especially the masks and exfoliators. My skin is so much better than it was before I started using Korean skin care products. The Asian/Korean beauty section of MakeupTalk has great information in case you are interested.  https://www.makeuptalk.com/f/forum/384-k-beauty/

[SIZE=11pt]Acne is a problem that affect the majority of population since it is triggered by the hormonal changes that occur during this stage of life. [/SIZE]The body's master antioxidant glutathione is small protein produced naturally in our cells when certain requires elements are present. [SIZE=11pt]Recently I read review on Zeroblem a acne riding innovative skin care treatment which helps to get rid from acne and give soft skin and helps to fading redness and all above problems. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.3333333333333px]photodynamic therapy is one of the best ways to keep our skin clean and amazing.You can easily get rid of acne by this thearpy.  If it is done with the help of an expert, then the result will be double. I had  this therapy last month in Beautimed, a laser skin care centre in BC. My skin looks amazing after the treatment and I loved it! [/SIZE]

I also have an olive complexion and I am originally from Singapore.  I have an age spot that covers approx. 1" x .25" on my left cheek bone.  I have been using Monsia Skincare since December 2014 and the age spot has greatly reduced in color and size, by approx. a qtr.  Monsia have a new product line that I have decided to try, I've added the link which I hope is allowed in order for you to access it 

http://www.monsiaskincare.com/monsia-skin-lightening-cream-with-hyaluronic-acid.html

Please do your own research and don't just accept what I say. For me I think it is the Hyaluronic Acid that has helped lighten my age spot.  I hope this information helps you, there is an answer but you have to be patient one thing at a time.

I use Rejuvi D Clearing Gel it's for dark spots on the skin.  I'm from Hawaii so I used to have a lot of sun spots but after about two weeks of use I saw good results compared to other products that I've tried.

Retinoids are a powerful form of vitamin A proven to speed up cell turnover - which you need to get rid of dark spots. It helps your complexion looks smoother and diminishes the appearance of fine lines. The most potent form I use is in the Lady Soma Renewal Serum - I buy it online. Anything stronger, you will need a prescription from your dermotologist - but anything stronger will make your skin flake. The Lady Soma Renewal Serum does not make my skin flake, and in about 3- weeks, I have way less dark spots. 

mimmalipa I looked up the Lady Soma Renewal Serum and read http://www.ladysoma.com/hyaluronic-acid, I have an age spot on my left cheek that has gradually lightened and I put it down to my use of Monsia Skincare as this product line contains hyaluronic acid. I was corrected by a lady on another forum who told me that hyaluronic acid only locks in moisture, she did not mention that it did anything else, but having read the website mentioned above I am convinced that my age spot is slowly disappearing due to the hyaluronic acid in Monsia Skincare. Mind you it has been a slow process (started in Dec 2014) but it is safe.

look at this, my friend's skin...great change

October 2015 

13087686_10154136953134320_2427619490661800040_n.jpg

December 2015

13087835_10154136953979320_8517274313936342241_n.jpg

April 2016

13094118_10154136954339320_1069923253346251523_n.jpg

Watch what you're eating, maybe it's something in your diet. I agree with the person here who said to take vitamin E. That does wonders for the skin. Also, have you considered maybe going to get a facial or a deep skin profesional treatment? I don't know where you live but here in London I get the laser skin resurfacing from Nuriss every now and then and it does wonders for my skin. Maybe you can find something similar where you live. 

Ladies,

I am a 35-old gal of Indian origin, brown skinned. I have oily/combination acne prone skin. I was doing ok till I had my first baby and then now after 5 years, my skin started breaking out as hell. Below is my skin care routine:

Morning:

Paula’s Choice skin balancing Resist toner

Paula’s choice 2% BHA exfoliator

Serumtologie Vit C serum

Paula’s Choice sunscreen spf 30

Night

Dr Dennis Gross daily Alpha-Beta peel

Insta Natural Retinol serum

Paula’s Choice hydrating light moisturizer

When things break-out bad, I use Dr. Dennis Gross acne clearing treatment pads and sometimes 10% Benzyl Peroxide gel. I also use weekly, Ren Radiance peel.

My issue is this -

While I am able to get rid of the acne in or 1 or 2 days, they leave brown spots. I just don’t seem to be able to get rid of these spots

My skin is dull and lacks brightness. The brightening serums I use obviously don’t seem to be working

Any helpful advice is greatly appreciated!!!
Well, I use Albolene for my skin and it actually works quite well. I don't use combination of products especially for nighttime because my skin is very sensitive and either I would break out or my skin would burn and turn into a rash. The thing I like the most about this product is that its also a cream makeup remover which was traditionally invented to take out industrial makeup at the theater and board way shows. Another plus is that its a moisturizer cleanser as well that is cream based. Gets in deep into my pores and actually has helped with my break outs even though not meant to do that, It really is the best product out their for your skin. You should check it out. 

Hi

Usually, this is normal after pregnancy. But I recommend you to avoid all the beauty products and try this...

(link removed)

Try avoiding all beauty products for at least one month and do as described in the article. I hope this will help you a lot in solving your problem. But, if after a month nothing happened then contact me again and we will try something other.

Hope it helps!

Latest posts

Back