What's the book that influenced you the most?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always enjoyed The Jester by James Patterson and Andrew Gross. I'm probably biased though because I love the time period.

Edit: I don't know that this book ever influenced me, but it's the first book that comes to mind when I think of my favorites.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to love reading Patricia Cornwell books. They were fascinating. Not sure if they really influence me but they were a good read and at the time I was really interested in anatomy/medical schooling type of stuff. My other favorites were John Grisham books because they talked about being a lawyer and what it was like etc. I loved reading them. I was into law at one time too.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20"> My professional life has had nothing to do with either medical or law subjects however. 

I love to read.  There are so many books I've read and loved and recommend.  While not necessarily my favorite book, probably the one that has affected me most recently is Omnivores Dilemma.  That being said, I loved the series that began with A Woman of Substance and also loved the series that started with "The Immigrants".  Some of my favorite 'standalone' books:  "Colony" by Anne Rivers Siddons, "The Witness" by Sandra Brown, "A Separate Peace" by John Knowles, "Flowers for Algernon" by Daniel Keyes, "Coming Home" by Rosamunde Pilcher, "Honor Among Thieves" by Jeffrey Archer, "Forever Amber" by Kathleen Winsor and oh so many, many more.

I, too, have read all the Patricia Cornwell books and all the early Grisham ones.  Also have read all of the books by David Baldacci, Maeve Binchey, Iris Johansen, James Patterson, Richard North Patterson, Jodi Piccoult, Jonathan Kellerman, Janet Evanovich, Barbara Taylor Bradford, Tami Hoag, Jack Higgins, Sue Grafton and too many more to recite!

I hope we all can find some new books and authors to try via this thread!

Yes Omnivores Dilemma is great! I didn't finish it yet though.  I need to soon. I love to read also but I'm always so tired at night that I don't get further than a few pages.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">  Lately I've been reading just books about anything to do with my children (education/brain development etc) and cookbooks. I need to get back to reading other books as well. I just joined a neighborhood book club and the next book to read is Glitter and Glue by Kelly Corrigan. I'm looking forward to reading it to see what it's all about. 

I love to read.  There are so many books I've read and loved and recommend.  While not necessarily my favorite book, probably the one that has affected me most recently is Omnivores Dilemma.  That being said, I loved the series that began with A Woman of Substance and also loved the series that started with "The Immigrants".  Some of my favorite 'standalone' books:  "Colony" by Anne Rivers Siddons, "The Witness" by Sandra Brown, "A Separate Peace" by John Knowles, "Flowers for Algernon" by Daniel Keyes, "Coming Home" by Rosamunde Pilcher, "Honor Among Thieves" by Jeffrey Archer, "Forever Amber" by Kathleen Winsor and oh so many, many more.

I, too, have read all the Patricia Cornwell books and all the early Grisham ones.  Also have read all of the books by David Baldacci, Maeve Binchey, Iris Johansen, James Patterson, Richard North Patterson, Jodi Piccoult, Jonathan Kellerman, Janet Evanovich, Barbara Taylor Bradford, Tami Hoag, Jack Higgins, Sue Grafton and too many more to recite!

I hope we all can find some new books and authors to try via this thread!
Oh, I forgt about Flowers for Algernon. That was a great one!

Another (older) book that I highly recommend to anyone who likes a very good story is A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith.  I had forgotten about it when I made my first post.  I ordered 'Outliers" from my library and it's ready for me so I hope to start that one soon.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Just remembered another great book from (fairly) long ago:  Captains and Kings by Taylor Caldwell.

Is anyone still on this thread with me?  Would love to get some recommendations.

I just read Glitter and Glue by Kelly Corrigan as being part of a neighborhood book club. It was a great book.

I don't really do much reading any unfortunately :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> how do you all find the time?

I used to love anything by Haruki Murakami, especially the strange sense of surrealism and sadness that flowed through each of his stories, it really drew me in. I'd my favourite is Kafka on the Shore, followed closely by South of the Border, West of the Sun.

I don't really do much reading any unfortunately :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> how do you all find the time?

I used to love anything by Haruki Murakami, especially the strange sense of surrealism and sadness that flowed through each of his stories, it really drew me in. I'd my favourite is Kafka on the Shore, followed closely by South of the Border, West of the Sun.
I read IQ84 by Murakami.  I found it very memorable and moving.  I'm going to put Kafka on the the Shore on my reading list.  

My favorite author is Margaret Atwood.  I enjoy anything she writes.  

Glad you enjoyed it @cpl100. Lately I haven't read any other books other than child development books. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20"> Once I'm done with those, I'll get back to reading other kinds of books.

I read a new book about every two days. I am a highschool English teacher. However I like ya dystopian novels, strong girls,easy to read, a break from real world scenarios. Between teaching 11th and 12th and a 3,4,5, and 9 year old, not to mention my 5 year old is on the autistic spectrum, I need books where I don't have to think too hard. I just read red queen and loved it.

I just saw these books being listed on the Instyle must reads list for January:

The restaurant Critics Wife by Elizabeth LaBan

Spark Joy by Marie Kondo (to be used with her first book)

The Longest Night by Andria Williams

My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabet Strout

Just wanted to pass the list on in case anyone is looking for new books to read.

Summer Sisters is a wonderful read. I think just about a female can relate to this book, everyone had a friend like the ones mentioned in the book. I also enjoyed the shadowhunter series.

Latest posts

Back