Make up brushes - Cheap vs Expensive

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have never really had a set of nice, expensive make up brushes, but now I have a new better paid job I have been considering investing in a good set.

But are the more expensive ones really worth it?

I have always bought ones that don't feel horrible and the hairs don't fall out as soon as you touch them, but what other benefits are there for the more up-market ones?

Brushes are not one thing that I splurge on. I use brushes from ELF. They are super cheap like $1 a piece and I think they work just fine! I have expensive brushes and I use the elf ones way more. I use the expensive ones for special occasions lol

Love looking at yourself in the mirror? You will with this set from W3LL PEOPLE. The Narcissist foundation stick helps cover imperfections and balance skin tone, and the light, all-natural formula is packed with premium ingredients that nourish and soothe. Use the deluxe brush to apply as an allover foundation or spot concealer.
Hi 

make up brushes- though an expensive brand like MAC might reassure you of good quality.

I also like elf brushes. Avon also has some really good brushes for cheap (not to promote my business, it's just a fact!). I imagine there are probably some expensive brands that are incredible, but you can definitely do really well with some cheap ones too. If your budget is tight, maybe pick a favorite brush you'll use all the time and get an expensive brand for that to try out.

@ that's a really good suggestion, it is probably best that I invest in one that I will use a lot and if I do see a big difference I will grow my collection!

Thank you everyone for the advice, it's been really helpful as usual :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hi, @@DisneyDisaster! Brushes are definitely an investment but you have to see value in purchasing them. My honest opinion is this: If you're a professional makeup artist, it is important to have professional brushes because you will need these for years to come for clients. Also, it makes you look a little more professional when you use them. If they're well taken care of, they should last you for years and years. Brands like MAC Cosmetics and Sigma come to mind. 

If you're just a makeup lover who only uses brushes for him/herself, while you could benefit from expensive brushes, I don't know that I'd say it's a need. Cheap brushes can work just great and if you actually take care of them, some could last you several years. That has been my experience with many of my cheaper brushes. 

Over the years I've accumulated brushes that are both expensive and cheap and I love having both. I will say, though, from my experience, the cheap brushes are the only ones that have faltered; some over the span of a couple months, some over the span of years. 

When it comes down to it, you have to know whether or not you see value in purchasing expensive brushes. If you do, then its a great investment and you'll likely not regret it provided you take care of them.

MAC has great valuable brush sets they sell at the end of every year during Christmas. I'd say those are safe because for a great price, you'll get a mini size version of about 5 brushes instead of paying 20-40 bucks on just one brush each time you buy one. Also, they're great for travel and your daily makeup bag. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hope that helped!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's luck of the drawer. I have some great brushes that do the job well and they were from a department store.

I'm trying the Eco brushes I picked up from walmart, and so far so good. The eyeshadow brush is a little more corse than I'd like but the powder brush is fantasticly soft and zero shedding from any of them so far.

Over the years I've had a combination of cheap and expensive brushes in my collection, and the cheaper brushes always got pulled because of poor quality, for example, they become fluffy and / or shed.

Now I only have expensive brushes because I find that no matter what style of brush it is, the bristles are all refined for very fine delicate work, even with repeated cleanings the bristles always keep their refined shape. In other words, they don't fluff or splay outwards.

For my S F/X brushes, I purchase "expensive" art store paint brushes, because the bristles can stand up to the rigors of the various make-up mediums and removers and they still retain their refined shapes. Also "expensive" art store brushes are way cheaper cost-wise than make-up brushes.

Dont buy brushes made from animal hair...except of theyre cruelty made, the smell bad!

Choose brushes by aliexpress, dyna on youtube has some good recommendations!

Jessup brushes etc.

I use styling brushes from ELF. They are extremely inexpensive like $1 a part and I think they perform just fine! I have costly styling brushes and I use the elf ones way more. I use the costly ones for unique occasions

I have never really had a set of nice, expensive make up brushes, but now I have a new better paid job I have been considering investing in a good set.

But are the more expensive ones really worth it?

I have always bought ones that don't feel horrible and the hairs don't fall out as soon as you touch them, but what other benefits are there for the more up-market ones?
I think MAC makeup brushes quality is very good, price also is high, affordable is for Bh cosmetics.If you are beginner,I suggest e.l.f, it is more cheap.

There are so many drugstore brushes that are good like ELF and Real Techniques.

I think that MAC brushes are good for the price although some of them are a little bit scratchy.

MAC do some holiday sets at the end of the year and they are great for the price so you can check them out.

Tarte also do some nice brush sets in the holidays.

And if you want to splurge a lot , wayne goss brushes are really very soft and nice .

Latest posts

Back