10 cosmetic ingredients to avoid

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For those of you who read labels, and would like to avoid toxins in your mu and skincare, here's another interesting site I came across.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/bodycare/toxic_cosmetics.cfm

I just purchased a new facial moisturizer, Complex 15, that received rave reviews online and when I looked at the ingredients I noticed there were several of these toxic synthetic ingredients in them. I am having such a hard time finding a moisturizer that doesn't have toxins or parabens in them. And, the "natural" moisturizers I've tried, like Aubrey's Organics, don't agree with my skin because of the coconut oil they use in them.

Anyway, it doesn't hurt to check out the ingredients in your products that you use daily.

It is hard to find products without harmful ingredients. Thank you Nicole for the link.

Thank you so much Nicolet for posting this! I'm all for natural stuff and enforce that in our house with organic food and such. I just haven't looked at the skin care items as carefully but I will do now. Thanks! You might want to check out saffronrouge.com. They sell organic and natural skin care and body care items and list the ingredients on their website. I've looked at their website before but haven't purchased anything. The article made me think of this site and I'm looking at the moisturizers right now. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">

Well,if there was only 10 ingredients harmful...and also natural doesn't always mean good-lots of irritants come from plants for example...

Nicolet, thanks for the post ...and .....BTW......EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!

Notice the author? .....Aubrey Hampton???

That's Right......of Aubrey Organics!!!!!!!!!!!!

I truly don't work for them, but since you posted this wonderful thread, Nicolet, I will say that Aubrey's main goal has been to MAKE A PRODUCT LINE OF COSMETICS, SHAMPOOS, ETC. that contain NONE of these ingredients.

He/His company have not done a bad job at all, if I say so myself. A strictly High-End everything girl, I had tried "natural" and "organic" stuff (a lot of which has this stuff in it) before and not liked it. After some trial and error, many visits to their website, etc. I'm really happy with the majority of their stuff. I still supplement it from time to time with the other toxic stuff (like foundation) ...so I'm not that *angelic* or anything.

Oh, you are right, Zoey, there are far more than just 10 harmful ingredients used in cosmetics and skincare, but I think the list was just naming the top ten. Or the most used. And, yes I am also aware of the adverse effects of "natural" ingredients.

So much to look out for....

Naturally (Kim) is an Arbonne consultant, I believe. She should be able to let you know..hopefully she'll see this thread!

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of asking which ingredients are bad etc, so thanks again.

Melissa, thanks for the Enviromental Working Group link....excellent info! I've got to spend more time on there...

I've becoming more and more obsessed with what the heck is in stuff!! What the govt allows, just amazes me...

Kim and Melissa thanks for those links!

I find it really difficult to determine which sites are good and which ones are just propaganda.for exapmle:with comedogenic ingredients there are quite a few and they have pretty different lists...

Product with SLS I would never use in a face care product,cause there are lots of other products with gentler cleansing ingredients,but would with no hesitation use it in a shampoo.

hi nicolet, my name is ivette. i'm new to makeuptalk. i joined

just recently. did you ever hear of Paula Begoan?? she's a consumer advocate.

kind of like Ralph Nader. She's very knowledgable about cosmetics. she's published

books on the subject, has her own website called cosmeticcop.com, and has her

own cosmetic line. You might want to go to her website. she's has at least 20

years experience

Latest posts

Back