DoctorToaster

Birchbox September 2015 (Spoilers)

For those who have not been picking a sample lately, have you still received one of the monthly samples or do you usually receive something altogether different?  I'm not feeling the samples this month so thought I might skip it.  But, if they usually send one of the highlighted items anyway, I'd at least like to get the one I dislike the least.  Definitely don't want a curated box with a fragrance sample!

For those who have not been picking a sample lately, have you still received one of the monthly samples or do you usually receive something altogether different?  I'm not feeling the samples this month so thought I might skip it.  But, if they usually send one of the highlighted items anyway, I'd at least like to get the one I dislike the least.  Definitely don't want a curated box with a fragrance sample!

I think I've received one of the sample choices if I remember correctly. Overall the boxes seem to be better for me if I leave them up to chance vs if I pick make the pick myself.

I completely spaced out and missed the upgrade email until now. The brush set and the charger are already sold out. I ended up reserving the makeup organizer because my desk is a mess with so much makeup on it. :) (subs are not included in my current no buy) :D

What did everyone end up selecting? Anything catch your eye this month?

For those who have not been picking a sample lately, have you still received one of the monthly samples or do you usually receive something altogether different? I'm not feeling the samples this month so thought I might skip it. But, if they usually send one of the highlighted items anyway, I'd at least like to get the one I dislike the least. Definitely don't want a curated box with a fragrance sample!

Yeah I'd like to hear more about people's experiences with this too! I remember shortly after they first started sample choice (before I realized I needed to review stuff to to become an ACE) I didn't pick because two of the sample choices were going and I didn't want either of the things left. Of course I got the choice that I wanted the least when I received my box. So ever since then, I've picked, even if I didn't love something, because I didn't want to risk getting the worst (for me) thing. But I gifted myself a sub a few months ago so for a couple months I had two boxes coming, and last month my second account never received a sample choice email. And when I got the box on that account it had none of the sample choices in it, which I didn't even realize was possible! It wasn't a great box, but bygones.

I'm back to one box this month (my ACE account) and I think I will probably leave it to chance, as I don't want the curated box and none of the sample choices wow me (two would be repeats anyway) so I'll be interested to see what happens. It's funny, I think I'm more interested in what I get versus others, and how they manage to not have repeats (most of the time), like the behind the scenes stuff, than I am in trying my samples most months now.

• Like 2

@@Miccarty2 and @@cpl100

Here is my experience= I have been with BB for quite a few years now and any time I didn't pick a sample choice since they've been doing the sample choices, I almost always got a box with one of the PYS, and trust me, they were never the decent samples! It is one reason I finally quit my subs- my boxes were just getting worse and worse even though I had the Beta version that was more detailed and suppose to help improve your boxes.

I had pretty much said I didn't want any more than 5 throughout the year everything except makeup stuff and guess what?? Many of my boxes I wasn't getting any makeup, definitely LESS makeup than I was getting than before I had the beta version. Prior to the beta version, I was getting shampoos and conditioners and hair styling products (I only air dry!!) in my boxes and I have a brand I am already loyal to so I was soooo tired of continually getting 3 out of 5 items in haircare. But, because I was promised the beta would make it better, I stuck with it for several months but it never got better, in fact, it was worse than ever, so I finally quit.

I would love to be able to go into a store and just pick 5 samples of things for $10 at their store than do a sub every month and be disappointed time and time again.

Edited by H_D
  • Like 2

@@cpl100 and @@Miccarty2 They're have been times when I haven't picked a sample choice simply because I forgot and I always got a sample choice (usually it was the item I would have picked anyway though, so that's a win). I feel like picking a sample won't even nessacarily mean that you won't get an item that you want least, because it seemed like this month a lot of boxes contained more then one sample choice, so if your feeling meh about all the sample choices then it might be better to just leave it up to chance because I know from looking at box pages that there are some boxes without sample choices.

• Like 1

Random, slightly off-topic question, but also related to September; Does Birchbox do anything for birthdays? It's my birthday month and I'm just kinda curious because I've been saving points for these items in my cart and I'm wondering if they give some amazing codes or anything to celebrate?

Random, slightly off-topic question, but also related to September; Does Birchbox do anything for birthdays? It's my birthday month and I'm just kinda curious because I've been saving points for these items in my cart and I'm wondering if they give some amazing codes or anything to celebrate?

There is a coupon code: "BIRTHDAY". Subscribers get $10 Off $50 while logged-in during their birthday month. This code is valid on full-size products and can only be used once per year.

Hope this helps.

Happy birthday in advance :) 

• Like 4

There is a coupon code: "BIRTHDAY". Subscribers get $10 Off $50 while logged-in during their birthday month. This code is valid on full-size products and can only be used once per year.

Hope this helps.

Happy birthday in advance :)

That's cool! May be better to use a 20% code instead though. It all depends on how many items I get in my box to review in this box. And thank you!! 

• Like 1

Hmm I wait and have no problems getting any sample I've wanted.

I've only had problems when I didn't wait and used the link prior to emails being released. 

• Like 1

Hmm I wait and have no problems getting any sample I've wanted.

I've only had problems when I didn't wait and used the link prior to emails being released. 

I've never had that issue before.  My problem is that I will forget if I don't do it right away.

I was going to leave it to chance, but I ended up choosing the eyeshadow. Everyone seemed to like it last time, despite being doubtful about the brand, so why not? Plus, purple shadows make my eyes look amazing so I can never have enough purples. 

• Like 1

Davines on two accounts (love that stuff), and ABH on the third. I know, I know I need to drop a box or two, lol!

• Like 1

I received my email today, but I am not an Ace and I didn't have anyone sign up. Not complaining, just thought it was weird. I went with the Dr. Jart.