Struggling to Cover Dark Undereye Circles!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My undereye concealer looks good in person, but in flash photography I have mad white circles! It's to the point where I've been avoiding photos because of it. I've experimented with lots of different concealers and stayed away from the light-reflecting type, but I still get this problem.

It improves a bit if I apply less, but I need more for good coverage. Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm starting to wonder if I should get a darker shade, or wear a colour corrector underneath? I really want to avoid having to wear foundation or even BB cream, but maybe it's necessary with heavier concealer.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
My undereye concealer looks good in person, but in flash photography I have mad white circles! It's to the point where I've been avoiding photos because of it. I've experimented with lots of different concealers and stayed away from the light-reflecting type, but I still get this problem.

It improves a bit if I apply less, but I need more for good coverage. Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm starting to wonder if I should get a darker shade, or wear a colour corrector underneath? I really want to avoid having to wear foundation or even BB cream, but maybe it's necessary with heavier concealer.

Thanks!
It's not your concealer. It's the automatic red-eye reduction flash mode setting on your camera / smart phone. If you can, adjust the flash setting to it's lowest emitting brightness, or turn off the red-eye reduction setting.

If you can't adjust your flash settings, and to minimize the under eye white out, tilt your head slightly down, up or even to the side until you don't see the white out factor happening. This will take a few tries to figure out which angle will work.

The make-up route won't work. (In terms of a total change up in products or brands). Remember, lighting will always make or break your make-up. That's why we Pros always do make-up tests for film and print, so that the photographer / DoP can adjust their lights to our make-ups. Yes there are some tweaks on our end too, but it's all lighting at-the-end-of-the-day.

Sounds like you're already tweaking your concealer which is good, now it's just a matter of re-positioning yourself in front of the camera.

I think with bb cream it should be good.
:blink2: Clearly you didn't comprehend or understand her post.

Do you even know what BB, CC, DD creams are??? And what their purpose is???

A little bit more research on your end before you post advice will help you out quite a bit here. Just sayin'...  :satisfied:

If you don't know, just ask! There is no shame in that.  ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

>>> This is a general statement below for whoever reads it <<<

* My whole thing on giving advice on a forum, is that if people give wrong advice or wrong information, you can seriously injure someone if they use that incorrect advice / information. C'mon these are people's faces we're talking about here!

You can also try the triangle shape for applying your concealer instead of a circle. Granted, then you have a white triangle instead of a circle, but it's a little less obvious. Or take it down a little further and fade it out as you go down so it's more of a gradient effect instead of a harsh line.

You can also try the triangle shape for applying your concealer instead of a circle. Granted, then you have a white triangle instead of a circle, but it's a little less obvious. Or take it down a little further and fade it out as you go down so it's more of a gradient effect instead of a harsh line.
Yeah, but then there's that flash photography problem she's still having... Any solutions?

Yeah, but then there's that flash photography problem she's still having... Any solutions?
I guess I don't take pictures very often because I never really worry about that. The gradient application was my solution. In theory, it should make the white area seem less obvious and looks more like a bright under-eye. 

Other than that, just try to match your concealer to your skin tone as best as possible and try not to use a brightening concealer.

I guess I don't take pictures very often because I never really worry about that. The gradient application was my solution. In theory, it should make the white area seem less obvious and looks more like a bright under-eye. 

Other than that, just try to match your concealer to your skin tone as best as possible and try not to use a brightening concealer.
Congratulations you've figured it out! :wizard:   But based on @@AllyBread's first paragraph, she tried all that, hence my suggestion. And I didn't want to sound redundant... So...

At any rate, definitely a combination of concealer tweaking and facial positioning in front of the camera will work. Hopefully @@AllyBread will post back with her results.

However there is the reverse of this white under eye syndrome called the Vanity Syndrome. I know this is off topic, but I can see where this thread might be going...

Hi!!

I know the struggle!

I had this problem for a long time two.

But i went to the MAC store, and the advice was not to use a light toned concealer but a slightly darker. 

As you can see on my pic i have dark circles to that will never change but it's a lot less!!

Thanks and i hope it has been helpful

Back