Should I Just Chop It?!?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am so frustrated with my hair! have tons of fly-always/breakage/frizz through out it as you can see by the photo I posted. The photo was even taken AFTER it had been covered in coconut oil over night. I can't wear it down and never do because of its condition. Should I just chop it? I'm not opposed to short hair, I've had it before and it looked cute. I wanted to keep it long but what is the point when it looks like this? Will cutting it even work? HELP!

​[/size]

image1.JPG

I think your hair looks beautiful! I wouldn't cut it unless you absolutely want to. I did that before and regretted it. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20"> What hair care products do you use? I've noticed that the products I use make a huge difference on my hair. I love L'oreal mythic oil line for smoothing hair and making it fuller. Do you blow dry your hair? If you do, you want to make sure you use a heat primer on your hair before blow drying. Also using a smoothing cream after will help with the fly aways. 

Thank you so much for the reply! I honestly thought everyone would tell me to cut it. I keep up with regular trims. I do blow dry it maybe 2 times per week. I also straighten it a maximum of 2 times per week. I use a blow drying spray from kenra. I use a hair streightening serum from garnier fructis. I deep condition with organic coconut oil. For shampoo I use herbal essences and for conditioner I use neutrogena triple moisture.

I have no idea what to use on it at this point because I feel like nothing really works! What are those little hairs poking out anyway? Are they breakage or fly-aways?

Thanks again for your help.

I think the little hairs are fly-aways resulting from breakage possibly. I wouldn't worry about them too much. It might be that the products you are using right now might not be the right fit for your hair. It tooks me years to figure out what products work for my hair and give me the best results. My hair still isn't perfect but I stopped worrying about it long time ago. Maybe it's part of approaching my 40s. I just don't care as much anymore. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">

It's a 10 spray hair conditioner is great. Target carries the line now if you are interested in exploring other products. Also L'Oreal advanced hair care products have products for strengthening hair. Here is a link to the shampoo http://www.target.com/p/l-oreal-paris-advanced-haircare-triple-resist-reinforcing-shampoo-25-4-oz/-/A-14337655#prodSlot=medium_2_60

Also you might want to try a mousse for styling. Mousses are back in hair care and and are very different from the old fashion, crunchy mousses of the 80s. For example Tresemme has a smoothing mousse http://www.target.com/p/tresemme-extra-hold-mousse-10-5-oz/-/A-13075329#prodSlot=medium_1_6&term=smoothing+mousse

Last edited by a moderator:
i think you have use a lot of hair straightener !
As per the image you have enclosed , it seems that u over burnt your hair because of which you might be sufferring from split ends and dryness.

I recommend that try and avoid hair straightening if you do it frequently.
Moreover, apply almond oil everyday for a week before you go to sleep and massage your scalp as well.
Use hot oil to fetch better results.

Then next morning you should shampoo your hair and apply some conditioner as well.
Stop worrying and follow this routine at least for a week and feel the difference yourself !

:) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

if you want suggestions about some good hair oils i can also help you with that .

I am very particular about my hair and my hair is naturally curly.
So i prefer coconut oil and almond oil both alternately.

Do not chop all of that hair off!

I agree with @@Reija, what goes on your hair really makes a difference! Coconut oil is great, but sometimes you just need something else as well. I would suggest different hair oils and masks.

Also try to keep the heat styling away! Less heat means happier hair! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Do not forget to use heat protect products too

Good luck!

I don't see any point cutting it as that breakage seems to go all the way up the hair shaft.

You could have a tiny trim to make the ends blunt at the bottom then work on the length.

Intensive conditioners and anti breakage serums are to be your friend  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  OGX have a Brazilian keratin straightening anti breakage serum which really restores shine to the hair and prevents further breakage. If you blow dried your hair straight section by section using that it would conceal the look of the fly aways.

I would also give JOICO Intensive hydrator a go .It is about thirteen pounds in the UK  :rolleyes:  which is expensive I know but it really quenches dry damaged hair inside the hair shaft and out. This is what it says about the product which seems perfect for your hair

INTENSE HYDRATOR (LINK- http://www.joico.com/products/k-pak-intense-hydrator-2/)

There’s dry hair… and there’s hair that’s so parched, so thirsty, so starved for moisture that only a serious drink could bring it back to life. Intense Hydrator is the cocktail of choice: a profoundly nourishing treatment (at a gentle 3.5 PH level), offering immediate hydration to hair that’s gasping for air.

Lastly I think your hair is beautiful and with a little tlc and shine products to seal the shaft it will be looking lovely in no time! :wub:

Do not chop all of that hair off!

I agree with @@Reija, what goes on your hair really makes a difference! Coconut oil is great, but sometimes you just need something else as well. I would suggest different hair oils and masks.

Also try to keep the heat styling away! Less heat means happier hair! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Do not forget to use heat protect products too

Good luck!
I agree with Reija and Queennie. My hair was similar to yours, but it was short and the damage was due to 15 intense radiotherapy sessions. My hairdresser did chop off about 2" all over before telling me to use Pro Naturals, a hair repair system. I started using it in 2014 and to be honest I was very skeptical but after the first day I felt that maybe Becky knew something that I didn't. It is now almost a year since I started following their regime and I can honestly say that I don't have ANY split ends and no heat damage, no flyaways and definitely no frizz. I wash, blow dry (on a cool setting) and heat style my hair every 3 days.

My hair was damaged like yours. I chopped it, and it was similar to this one

medium_length_hairstyles_for_thick_hair.jpg

Image downloaded from here. Now I have grown my hair out, and it looks much healtheir.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back