Makeup tips to look older - help!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this thread is appropriate for this sub forum, so I apologize if not! I was wondering if anybody had any makeup tips for baby faces. I'm 22 and am constantly told I look 15 ( I know everyone says I'll be thankful when I'm 40 and look 30, but I don't think aging works that way haha). I was wondering if anybody had any tips/tricks for looking more mature, or even just picking the right colors, or even just opinions on what I could do differently in my makeup routine.

For my eyes, I stick mostly to neutral shades, on the bronze/gold/taupe side, but lately have been experimenting with more copper and burgundy, so I'm not very adventurous lol. I usually stick with neutral, pouty shades on my lips, but sometimes rock Browns, reds, berries, and sepia tones. I love liners and lipstick. I am not a foundation aficionado so I pretty much but what the Sephora associate suggests but don't like cakey makeup and try to get away with as little as possible. I'm experimenting with contouring and highlighting but am a novice, so maybe it's in the way I do it haha.

My eyebrows drive me crazy, lately I haven't waxed them in a while (saving money lol) and am wearing a fuller, natural brow. No idea what to do with them - keep them natural or wax and tidy them up. Sometimes I like them natural, sometimes I think they overpower my face. Maybe getting them shaped would age me a bit? Ah I don't know!

I know this thread is a but self gratuitous so I apologize but maybe some other baby faces are struggling with the same questions and this will open up a discussion for others haha. I attached some pictures with various makeup looks, any tips are so appreciated! So tired of being asked what colleges I'm looking at ugh image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

You should embrace the way you look. If you feel you must do something to look older you could try a different hairstyle, no bangs though, cause then you might look 12yo.

I agree and think that looking very youthful is like hitting the genetic lotto. Enjoy it and embrace it! Although if you really want to look more mature here are a few tips that I would recommend....

Shoulder length or just below the shoulder haircuts with a bit of layering always can make anyone look more grown up....if you are willing to make the snip;-)

It sounds like you are open to experimenting with different makeup looks and you also have such a pretty complexion so no need for a heavy makeup look. I think a clean looking eye (wash of light neutral color on the lids, a few coats of mascara, softly lined eyes) paired with a berry colored lip always looks so classic and modern. 

As for contouring, simply sculpting a foundation or matte powder 2-3 shades deeper than your skintone just underneath your cheek bones (blend in a back and forth motion from the edge of your ear halfway down the edge of your cheek). This will create more dimension to your face so that it appears more angular.

I hope these suggestions are helpful! Xx

@@non_sequitur and @@JoLevyMUA thanks guys! I love what I have and embrace it, but sometimes I wonder if maybe the way I do my makeup is making me look younger lol (I swear it's the brows). I definitely love experimenting so I'm due for an update with my hair soon! I will definitely try a more clean eye - I have a tendency to be a little bold/shimmery, so it sounds like a good idea keeping it more simple and drawing the focus to the lips! Sometimes when I do my makeup, I have a hard time keeping it concise. I feel like it can be a lot going on at once because the brows, eyes, and lips all tend to be competing with each other.

JoLevyMUA's suggestion of contouring for a more angular look was what I was thinking also but imo it's not for an everyday look although some people certainly rock it.

I do appreciate it, but sometimes I want a more angular look but my face looks soft even with the heaviest contouring job haha. Ah it's just something I have to come to accept. Gigi has a baby face and we all love her!

@@AmourAnnette aw thank you! I love your hair and that shade of lipstick in your avatar (MAC Stone??)

Contributing to my own thread but I read that opting for matte lips rather than glossy and going for darker richer colors helps one look more *puts pinky in air* sophisticated. But that's a pretty obvious tip haha

@@AmourAnnette aw thank you! I love your hair and that shade of lipstick in your avatar (MAC Stone??)

Contributing to my own thread but I read that opting for matte lips rather than glossy and going for darker richer colors helps one look more *puts pinky in air* sophisticated. But that's a pretty obvious tip haha
Posh Spice by Jeffree Star =)

Back