First timer interested

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, 

For someone who has never been a part of a subscription box, I need some advice. 

I'm looking to get into it, but there are so many options to choose from. My favorite stores are Sephora, MAC, LUSH, and Ulta, so I guess that's a start. I would be looking for products that would be sold at those stores. Makeup, skincare products, hair products, miscellaneous items, etc. Any suggestions for me? 

My favorite is Birchbox because of the cost and their point system that can be used on their online shop. I shop at those stores that you mentioned too and I love different subs because I end up getting different things I wouldn't get at those stores although sometimes it's the same things that you can buy at Ulta or Sephora. Fortune cookie soap seems to be great for soap and body items. I'm trying to get on the Sephora and Macys subs but I'm still on the wait lists. :angry:  

If you aren't super picky about what you get I like Ipsy. I feel like I get the most value for my money there. They send out full size products and things like brushes frequently for ten dollars a month in a cute makeup bag. 

There is a quiz you take that is supposed to help them decide what to send to you. It is also supposed to be helpful to do your reviews monthly to give them a better idea of what you do and don't like. That being said many people say the quiz is pointless and they never get sent what they want or could use. I've never had this problem and generally get one of my top choices out of each sneak peek. I'm not sure why this is compared to most people. Did I answer the quiz more honestly, are they overly picky, am I not picky, or am I just lucky? Who knows. 

They often send brands I haven't heard of though. For instance I'd never heard of J.Cat Beauty but now I love them! They are a very inexpensive brand but makes some good products with cute packaging. I'm now in love with their Lipitude 24/7 Hydrating Lip Stains. 

The points system is meh. You review your items and get points in return. You can then cash in those points for extra items in your next ipsy bag. However items tend to sell out quickly and you have to wait for them to post something you actually want. They seem to add a few items at least once a week though if not more. 

The other downside is there's a wait list and ipsy is very social media driven. I have a facebook account just for ipsy. 

Many people like Birchbox but I think the actual sampling program is lacking in comparison to ipsy. The samples are tiny and almost never full size. They often put in perfume vials as one of your five samples. You know those free little vials you get at Sephora online in the sample section. To me that really sucks. 

Birchbox also seems to send out less makeup compared to ipsy. 

The only good thing I have to say is the points system for Birchbox is good and why I'm still subscribed. You get ten points for each sample you review. Every one hundred points equals ten dollars to spend in the Birchbox shop. I don't really look at it as free money so much as my box is really only costing me five dollars a month instead of ten because I'm going to use those points eventually. 

My favorites are Ipsy, Birchbox, and Boxycharm. I'm also on the waitlist for Macy's and Sephora's monthly boxes which sounds like two that you would be interested in based on the stores that you like to shop in. My personal favorite is Boxycharm because you get full sized products. For example this month, subscribers are getting a full sized coastal scents palette, three full size brushes, a full size blinc mascara, and a full size liquid eyeliner pen.

I also like Ipsy and Birchbox because they are only $10/month and you get travel size to full size items. I really like Birchbox's point system too because you can exchange points for things in the Birchbox shop which are name brand products. The last time I cashed in my points I got a full size Peter Thomas Roth mask and a full size pack of make up remover wipes for free. Sometimes I don't care for the things that I get in my Ipsy and Birchbox, but they are each only $10/month.

You may also like Allure Sample Society, FitFabFun, or Popsugar Must Have box. Allure usually has a good mix of products and the other two have other lifestyle items in addition to makeup.

Latest posts

Back