Clueless male on makeup

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a smaller birthmark on my cheek.Port wine stain.I was wondering if make-up can be applied partially to one area of the face.I see tutorials and everyone covering the whole face.This would be to much hassle  :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Any thoughts ? 

Hi Inherited! Welcome to MUT! You can apply makeup (foundation or concealer) to just one spot on the face but blending is the key. You don't want the spot to be obvious. MAC Cosmetics have great foundations and concealers that are worth checking out.

Hi Inherited! Welcome to MUT! You can apply makeup (foundation or concealer) to just one spot on the face but blending is the key. You don't want the spot to be obvious. MAC Cosmetics have great foundations and concealers that are worth checking out.
Thank you.Have to start experimenting with those 

You could always give it a try. I suggest using a real techniques expert face brush to stipple the concealer on and help blend if you are covering a larger area. I cant believe how much natural coverage this technique provides. I find stippling to be the best for coverage because you dont end up wiping away product.

@ is close, but everyone is throwing the word concealer around. You're all jumping the gun a bit here, but you guys are almost close...

@ would need to start with a corrector first, applied to the port wine stain, powder, then mix a tiny bit of concealer with a foundation, apply, then set with a powder.

If you use just a concealer then a foundation, you will still see the port wine stain over tone showing through. If you were to apply more concealer or foundation on to cover it, then it will start to look like a thick make-up patch.

The purpose of a corrector is to cover the 'over tone', or "correct" the over tone of the port wine stain, then you need to cover or "conceal" the under tone of the new layer of "skin tone" on the port wine stain, then you would apply your foundation as per usual, and of course powder to set between each layer.

This same technique was use on Robert Downey Jr. on Tropic Thunder (2008) turning him into a realistic looking African American male. The same technique can be used in reverse to turn an African American into a realistic looking Caucasian. A similar technique was on Keanu Reeves for Little Buddha (1993).

At any rate, all make-up artists have to do this corrective based make-up technique as part of their timed practical union make-up exam to become a union make-up artist. We don't use this application technique very much in fim / tv, but the point of this particular exercise is to know your over and under tones and your colour theory. 

Anyways I digress... Remember, you don't have to do this all over your entire face, just over your port wine stain to make it look like the rest of your skin tone. And no, you don't need to be a pro MuA either, just practice, be patient with yourself and you'll nail it down.

Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back