Do you wear makeup when excercising?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do you wear makeup when you exercise or do you go au naturel? Is it bad to wear makeup when exercising? Thoughts?

I usually work out early in the morning so I usually don't wear makeup. I have heard that it is bad to wear makeup because it can clog up your pores and make you more prone to break outs, but I'm not sure if that's entirely true lol

I feel like I am going to get so much shame for this, but yes I wear makeup when I work out.

I don't wear a full face of glam, but just things that I would wear to make myself fell confident, without wearing them I don't even want to go out of the house!

These are under eye concealer, concealer for blemishes, eyebrows, and a little bit of mascara.

I work out in the evening after work, so yes I wear makeup.  

I feel like it would be more damaging to my skin to wash my face twice, both before and after working out, than to leave the makeup on and just wash after my workout.

If I workout on the weekend or in the morning I don't bother with makeup  Besides, no makeup is more attractive than makeup sweating off during a heavy workout.  If I don't have sweat running down my face, I consider it recreation, not exercise.

Last edited by a moderator:
I work out in the evening after work, so yes I wear makeup.  

I feel like it would be more damaging to my skin to wash my face twice, both before and after working out, than to leave the makeup on and just wash after my workout.

If I workout on the weekend or in the morning I don't bother with makeup  Besides, no makeup is more attractive than makeup sweating off during a heavy workout.  If I don't have sweat running down my face, I consider it recreation, not exercise.
I agree. I workout after work and I barely have time to throw on gym clothes let alone wash my face before getting to class.  

I don't think it's "bad" but it's also probably not great for your skin either. My makeup is pretty durable and usually will stand up to crossfit classes, it only runs or gets messy if I intentionally wipe my eyes.

Also I don't wear makeup to my weekend morning classes. But i do spray my hair down with dry shampoo.

I'm an ultramarathoner, and never wear makeup to run/work out. I don't look down on anyone who does, I just don't think I could stand the feeling of sweat and make up on my face at the same time haha

I wouldn't suggest to use makeup during running.. Skin needs to breathe more than normal when exercising and it is not good that you block its ability to do that.

No. I rather save my skin and spare my vanity. Working out equals sweating. If I have makeup on that is just risking clogged pores and acne. I do carry makeup for after though

I work out in the morning and don't wear makeup. But I don't go to the gym, I work out at home. I go running or if the weather is bad I'll jump on the treadmill. Running outside in the summer it's way too hot and humid for makeup, it would just run down my face. I figure no one's looking at me anyway so who cares what I look like!

As I go to workout in morning so usually I do not prefer to wear makeup, some I used to wear when it seems necessary to me. 

If you've already got makeup on, then it's fine to leave it on and work it on out, as long as when you're done, while you're still sweaty and your pores are open, you wash (and maybe even exfoliate) reallllllly well. 

When we sweat, our pores open. So, anything on our face will get sucked into them. That's why the best time for a charcoal mask is in the shower! The steam and heat from the shower will open your pores and allow the mud to penetrate deep into the pores, allowing it to give you the deepest clean imaginable.So, as long as you're cleansing thoroughly while your pores are still open from the sweat-a-thon, you should be able to avoid a breakout.

I would suggest an exfoliating cleanser post workout, bc not only will it give you a deep clean, but it will also take advantage of that post workout glow by brightening the skin after removing all those dead skin cells and bacteria that can cause dull, lack luster skin. My favorite is Suki Exfoliate Foaming Cleanser. It has a scintillating sweet lemon scent, and is gentle enough to use on sensitive skin. Plus, the lemon scent really invigorates me after a tiring workout!

exfoliate_foaming_cleanser_120_ml__28490.1440168248.1140.900.jpg

Only if it's still on from earlier in the day. I may rinse it off but sometimes I don't.

I will put on mascara though, I always wear mascara even if I'm not wearing any other makeup.

I tend to go to classes in the evening so I take my make up off before I go so there is one less thing to do when I get home and just want to collapse on the sofa

Emma x

I wouldnt suggest wearing make up while at the gym because it definatly will clog the pores. The most i have ever worn is mascara but even that not a lot. Like suggested by others. Let your skin breathe

I would not recommend wearing a lot of make up when exercising with high intensity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never wear makeup while working out, I sweat a lot, and I always use a towel or wash my face if it's very hot during my exercise.. Maybe it's just me, but it looks dirty when a girl has a full face makeup, and then she is all sweaty and it slides down her face.. Not cool.

Latest posts

Back