Extremely sensitive skin pls read!!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay my skin is RIDICULOUSLY sensitive. Almost everything breaks me out. I'm only 16 so I do understand that pimples are not something out of the ordinary but my skin is fairly clear for the most part. I have tried certain skin care routines and I always break out but when I do nothing to my skin, it's clear. I've tried tons of face washes, moisturizers, creams, masks; whether they be high end, all natural, drug store, I've tried so much and it's to the point where I can't even wash my face or moisturize without my skin freaking out. I need something to wash my makeup off and my skin is very dry so I need something to moisturize as well but that's really the minimum for me right now. Right now I'm using baby magic brand baby soap and baby magic brand lotion but I don't know how well it is for my skin, I'm not sure if it's giving me what I need. Even when I was a baby my mother would use Johnson and johnsons baby stuff and it would make me have rashes. Almost anything thing from bath and body works gives me a rash. I've tried all natural products from the health food store and it made me break out worse than ever. I'm just wondering if someone could help me out, could I be allergic to an ingredient found in lots of skin care stuff? Do I need to get something without that ingredient? Does any brand make something for ultra sensitive skin??? Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you so much.

Hi! Welcome to MUT! Your skin sounds similar to my teenage son's face. The less he washes or uses different products on it the less breakouts and other irritations he has. My skin used to be sensitive and oily at the same time when I was a teenager. I found that Clarins and Clinique worked for me. The Clinique 3step process is great. The Clinique dramatically different moisturizer is great as an everyday moisturizer. My skin is still kind of sensitive and I really like the Neutrogena makeup remover wipes. They might be a great option for you for makeup removal. A little moisturizer after the wipe (no rinsing needed after the wipe) and you are set for night time. In the morning you can just use water or some really mild face wash to wash (Clinique face soap is great) and a toner and then moisturizer. Hope this helps and hope others have suggestions for you too.

Another thing that helped my son's skin is taking multivitamins every day. He uses a multivitamin geared for teens. (The package says teen vitamins) maybe something to look into if you are interested. I just ordered them online but they might be available at drugstores or Target etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there Gwyn.s 

You sound just like me! The only difference is that I don't get breakouts, instead I get red, itchy/stinging or burning. I used to react to almost anything. The only time my skin really settled was when I used nothing but plain water. 

Slowly over time I've been able to narrow it down to certain ingredients and I am slowly able to use more and more products as long as they don't contain certain ingredients. For me, anything that contains color or fragrance (natural or synthetic) just causes havoc for my skin. Even Clinique and Clarins (as mentioned in the above post) cause me no end of grief. Clarins is particularly awful because it contains a lot of fragrance. 

My recommendation is to try very basic  products that contain minimal ingredients and irritants. Cerave, Cetaphil, QV... you're still young so you don't need any anti-aging elements in your skin care. If those products seem to work well for you I would look at fragrance and/or color as a potential trigger.

If they don't work, my next advice would be testing out different preservative systems to see if you can nail the culprit. Even more "natural" preservative systems can be quite irritating to some people. Try paraben vs paraben free (I know parabens get a lot of negative feedback but honestly, for some people they work incredibly well. Natural preservatives sometimes contain frangrant/potent plant extracts that can be very irritating). 

One thing that I found really effective for me was using a very basic cerave/cetaphil/purpose face wash and using oil as a moisturiser (I know that Apricot kernel, Argan, Baobab, chia seed, jojoba, rose hip are generally ok for reactant skin). Then slowly I would incorporate a new product and if my skin didn't like it, I knew immediately which product had caused it.

Hope this helps and good luck  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Oh and by the way, products that work for me (that may or may not work for you - if you find that you react to the same things) are Olay Sensitive, Paula's Choice Hydralight series, Cerave. And for acne, try Paula's Choice BHA 1% Lotion

I'd also recommend going as basic as possible, preferably to the extent where you don't use products. Instead try oil cleansing, which only requires two oils. You could also use raw honey to cleanse, though occasionally people react to it, if they're sensitive to plant-based things. And then use for example a different oil as a moisturizer or pure aloe if you want something lighter.

You're most likely reacting to ingredients in all the products you've tried, so the easiest thing is just cutting them all together and using pure things instead.

Hormonal issues if you are 16. =) I would just recommend you to use an organic product for your skin because from this big companies they are really not as advertised. Maybe you read the law problems baby and johnson had and still has for causing many different skin problems. This is the main reason why I use almost all of my products which are organic. www.madefromearth.com is one of those which i buy from. 

I was so sick of itchy skin that I would try anything but I now use the Aloe & Jojoba Therapy from Made From Earth. It has calmed my itchy skin it has a nice smell not over powering. 

Gwyn my granddaughter has very similar problems to you and she has found that a nightly wash with Optima Tea Tree oil (a couple of drops in 1 ltr of cool water) used as a nightly face wash followed by applying jojoba oil as a moisturser has settled her skin.

You should make distance as much as you can from exfoliation. Rubbing hard product on your skin can cause redness on the skin which in turn can cause your skin to grow pimples on your face and further lead to acne. 

Latest posts

Back