New to eye makeup

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi! I've never worn eye makeup, but I'm wanting to start wearing eyeliner and mascara. I have no idea what colors would best suit me, though. I have light brown eyes, blonde hair, and my skin is as pale as a vampire's... I thought you ladies might know what color eyeliner and mascara I should buy? I'd prefer neutral colors if possible.

Thank you in advance :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Welcome to MUT! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20"> You could start with wearing dark brown mascara and eye liner so it's not as dark/noticeable as black would be and then try black and see what you think. You could also play with navy colors (they are the opposite of brown so they would really bring out your eyes).

Hey there! Welcome to the forums. I cannot really say anything until and unless I see a picture of you. This is because not every type of make up suits every type of 

individual. Other than that, I agree with Reija. You should test with different styles.

Hope I helped.

Its going to be so much fun when you venture into eyeshadows. One of the best things about brown eyes is that you can get away with wearing almost any colors, more so than any other eye color. I would suggest something like clinique naturally glossy mascara. And a taupe eye pencil. I dont have any color suggestions for that, all my favorites were limited edition. 

Thanks everyone! @Reija- I'd love to wear black eye makeup, but my face is so pale that I'm afraid black might make it appear even paler. I already look like a ghost in outside lighting... What do you guys think?

@Haya- Here's a picture of me:

Also, my eyes are a lot lighter off camera.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go with neutrals for your eyes @Jellypop27. Black might be too harsh. Dark brown mascara would look pretty, brown eye liner and a neutral eye shadow too. Add a little lipgloss and you are good to go.  Target has a NYC Demi Lovato (Lovatics) palette that has pretty natural colors. The Maybelline Blushed Nudes palette would be pretty too. You can use the darker shadows to line your eyes instead of an eye liner so that the look is softer.

I read that you shouldn't wear eyeliner and mascara that are the exact same color, because it looks silly and unnatural. Is that true? And if so, can I wear a dark brown mascara with a charcoal colored eyeliner? I read that charcoal eyeliner looks good with brown eyes and pale skin...

I read that you shouldn't wear eyeliner and mascara that are the exact same color, because it looks silly and unnatural. Is that true? And if so, can I wear a dark brown mascara with a charcoal colored eyeliner? I read that charcoal eyeliner looks good with brown eyes and pale skin...
You can wear the same color eye liner and mascara you can also wear charcoal with brown. You can really wear any combo that you feel comfortable in. If you are only wearing a liner and mascara with no eye shadow then it might look odd to have a black liner and black mascara. You can just start with mascara and a neutral wash of color over the whole lid and see how you like it. If you want to add a liner you can add the liner on top and then use an eye shadow to line the bottom of your eye so that the look is softer. You can also add eye shadow on top of the liner on your top lid to blend it and make it look more natural vs a strong black line for example. Bobbi Brown is an excellent makeup line and she is a great makeup artist. Here is a quick video on proper makeup application by Bobbi Brown. If you fast forward to 7 minutes, she goes over eye makeup and the steps to achieving a pretty and natural look. You wouldn't have to do that many steps as she is doing but it's just a great reference point on how to apply eye shadow and a liner. She uses a cream liner but you can just use a pencil and don't need to do the double lining like she does. For eye shadow you can just use one shade wash all over the lid if layering/blending seems like too much to do. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHeTE1Fd4tA

@Reija- That was a huge help, thank you! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'd also like to add color to my cheeks, so I'm thinking about buying some blush, but my face is so pale I'm afraid of looking like a clown. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'd also like to add color to my cheeks, so I'm thinking about buying some blush, but my face is so pale I'm afraid of looking like a clown. Anyone have any suggestions?
You could go with a very light pink and/or a light peach color. Both would look pretty applied with a light hand. You could also try cream blushes which you can just apply with fingers and blend really well until it looks natural.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back