Starter Kit Foundations

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, 

I have just completed my MUA course and I'm looking for a really good affordable foundation to start my kit with. 

I've heard that the Bourjois mixing serum is really good, however it's not one I've tried myself so I just want to know if anyone has suggestions on a good foundation that will be good on all skin types?

Thanks,

Michelle. 

@ What I used in my kit is RCMA foundation palettes. They are highly pigmented, it's easy to match a client because of the amount of colours and they are good value for how much product you get as you only need a little bit as the foundation is highly pigmented. I wouldn't advice buying DrugStore foundations for clients and other Makeup Artist Jobs. The reason being, clients expect to be spoiled and if they see that you're using stuff they have or could easily afford then they won't have as much respect for your work - I KNOW IT'S RIDICULOUS but it's actually pretty accurate ahah!

@ What I used in my kit is RCMA foundation palettes. They are highly pigmented, it's easy to match a client because of the amount of colours and they are good value for how much product you get as you only need a little bit as the foundation is highly pigmented. I wouldn't advice buying DrugStore foundations for clients and other Makeup Artist Jobs. The reason being, clients expect to be spoiled and if they see that you're using stuff they have or could easily afford then they won't have as much respect for your work - I KNOW IT'S RIDICULOUS but it's actually pretty accurate ahah! 

I am considering buying the RCMA Foundation palette.  I'm wondering how does this foundation hold up with people who have dry and/or flaky skin?  Would adding some lotion or argan oil to the foundation help?  I live in a dry climate and most clients have dry skin and getting even and smooth looking skin is tough.  Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I agree. I work with a lot of A and B list actors and they are used to having other MuA's across North America using good to high quality make-ups on them. And if they see that you don't have any, they will begin to question to your ability, in-other-words, they become difficult in your chair. 

However, in my experience, I find that newly popular actors, (their previous status was up-and coming) usually young, are a bit more open to the variety of make-ups being used on them, for example drug store brands, this is due to media coverage ads in social media. But with their continued exposure to top notch union film MuA's across North America, they will be introduced to more and more high-end products. Why? Because we as MuA's like to boast by impressing them by applying high-end make-ups on them.

But the old-timer A-listers or previous A-listers, are a bit more finicky, typically men, and women actors that are 55 and over. Only high to luxury end make-ups for them. And despite them being actors playing a different character, they always like / want their hair styled the way that they had it in their heyday when they were once popular household names. I believe it's a psychological thing, that they believe people will recognize them by their hairstyle they had on TV twenty years ago or so.

I don't know why this quote can't be seen... But here's my response to it...

No, I wouldn't add any moisturizer or oils to the RCMA foundations, as the product will begin to ball up on you, and then it may begin to separate (break down). These foundations are high performance and are formulated and tested as such, so they don't need anything added to their ingredients.

You may need to add said ingredients to cheap drug store brand foundations, but RCMA is not a low end brand.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back