Play! By Sephora - June 2016 box *spoilers*

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There's a new teaser video on the Play! page at Sephora. 

The theme for June is "the minimalists."

Screen_Shot_2016_05_25_at_10_26_33_PM.png

They says it's full of "easy-to-use, high-performance, must-have products for you to achieve that effortless look."

Last edited by a moderator:
I read some of the comments from last month and for June on MSA and people keep saying they wish it had bigger samples. I never received a large sample from Birchbox and for me they are the exact same price, I had to pay taxes on both boxes. Am I missing something? The brands I receive from Sephora are better to me than what I received in Birchbox or what I see my cousin getting in Ipsy, but people keep saying those are better. I'm trying to figure out what they expect from a $10 box.

I read some of the comments from last month and for June on MSA and people keep saying they wish it had bigger samples. I never received a large sample from Birchbox and for me they are the exact same price, I had to pay taxes on both boxes. Am I missing something? The brands I receive from Sephora are better to me than what I received in Birchbox or what I see my cousin getting in Ipsy, but people keep saying those are better. I'm trying to figure out what they expect from a $10 box.
I totally agree with your comment.

I've had Birchbox for nearly three years. I can count on one hand the number of boxes that had the same diversity and quality of products compared to Sephora Play. 

In addition, Birchbox is typically five samples, which often includes a tiny perfume vial as one of those five. Sephora Play is always six samples, with the perfume considered a bonus. 

The larger samples that I've received in my Birchboxes are typically dry shampoo, shampoo/conditioner or black eyeliners. All of these are things I like, but they are also the cause for a LOT of complaints on MSA. 

The "frequent repeat" brands from Sephora Play are broadly a higher quality than the "frequent repeat" brands from Birchbox. 

I think this is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. That, and people seem to love to complain. The value for Sephora Play is great. It's a $10 box, so expecting the type of items you get in a $20 box is very confusing to me. 

I'm interested in the Becca. I've never tried anything by them but I've heard good things. The mascara is nothing new. I seem to get it as a sample in something almost monthly but I'll use it. It's not awful but I wish they would send me newer items to try. I'm interested in the description of the perfume but doubt I'll be able to use it. Too many scents trigger my migraines but at least in this box it's looked at as an extra (I'm looking at you Birchbox). I use SPF so the Tarte will be useful. Then again all the subscription boxes are sending me sunscreen now and I can only use so much before they expire.  I like hair products so I look forward to the Bumble and Bumble even though I haven't had much luck with them as a brand. Finally the BareMinerals I am super iffy on because I've had allergic reactions to their products before. Overall it's not a terrible box but I won't lie, I liked last months much better. I hope Sephora sends me more lipsticks. Lipsticks and mascara are always things I want/need.

I'm excited for the Becca and the Tarte products. I like the Benefit mascara, but this is like the third time I get sent that product from different places. I don't like perfumes, don't wear bronzer, and don't find hair product samples too exciting.

Still, this is a good box for a $10 price. I'll probably include the products I don't use in future lots to sell on ebay.

It's been a while since I've been on the online beauty scene - what is MSA, exactly? 

Oh, MySubscriptionAddiction - figured it out. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm actually SUPER excited for this box, just because there's a lot of things I haven't tried, and products seem like good choices for sampling. (I always have mixed feelings on skincare samples... it's nice to try, but you usually don't get enough to see the results.)

My only concern is that the BB Don't Blow It looks a litttttle small, but it's hard to tell from the picture. Regardless, love the value. 

It's been a while since I've been on the online beauty scene - what is MSA, exactly?
My Subscription Addiction. It's a great site and helped me pick my favorite sub boxes. The comments section can be great or awful though. Don't get me wrong, I like being able to express why I love or hate a box and we should all be able to do so, but some of the Play comments on MSA seem to want items that would not make sense for a $10 box.

Oh, MySubscriptionAddiction - figured it out. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm actually SUPER excited for this box, just because there's a lot of things I haven't tried, and products seem like good choices for sampling. (I always have mixed feelings on skincare samples... it's nice to try, but you usually don't get enough to see the results.)

My only concern is that the BB Don't Blow It looks a litttttle small, but it's hard to tell from the picture. Regardless, love the value. 
I have been using the tiny sample of don't blow it (came as a bonus from a Bumble and Bumble direct order) for a while in my travel toiletry bag- I've gotten at least 12-15 uses out of it and still have product in it! However, I have fine hair, so I don't need very much- I'm sure people with thick hair may use it up a lot faster.

Got my shipping notice today! I think I'll like this one more than May (that Tarte crayon was hard!), I'm one of the few people who has never tried that mascara.

Got my shipping notice today! I think I'll like this one more than May (that Tarte crayon was hard!), I'm one of the few people who has never tried that mascara.

I purchased the fullsized tarte and it is so different from that sample.  I love the color, but that sample was awful

Latest posts

Back