Need Help! Dry, rough textured skin.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've just gotten into makeup, and i'm finding a really hard time trying to get my skin to be smooth and not roughly textured.

I have extreeeeeeeeeeeemely dry skin and acne. I have tiny little bumps on my forehead and quite a lot of blackheads on my nose. I've tried masks, exfoliating, moisturising (i use coconut oil for moisturising and this works tremendously for me) My entire T-zone is rough textured, and bumpy. I have no idea how i can combat this because all i strive for is smooth skin. I'm 16 years old and i understand my acne can be hormonal and because of puberty, but is there any way at all i can fix my rough textured skin problem? Anything all would help,

Thankyou!!

Hi! Welcome to MUT! Hormones can play havoc on your skin but it will pass. Eating a healthy diet is important too. Coconut oil is great. The best thing to do is to not over dry the skin. The more you exfoliate and wash it the more your skin will try and produce oil to balance it leading to more breakouts. It's best to just wash your face at night or right after sports etc or use a makeup remover wipes if you use makeup (Neutrogena is the best) and then use a toner to balance the PH of your skin (you don't need a toner if you use the makeup remover wipes because the toner is built in) and the coconut oil. In the morning you can just use water and apply more coconut oil if your skin is dry. I used to have a lot of skin problems from over washing. It took me a long time to figure out it really was the over washing. It might take a few days/weeks for your skin to balance itself but it's worth it. Exfoliating is good but only about once a week. My son used to have teenage skin problems too until he cut back on the washing and his skin got so much better. I highly recommend trying it.

Last edited by a moderator:
When my kids were your age and suffering as you are this is what I suggested for them. My daughter's skin was bad. I did not interfere until they asked for help, I must admit I had to bite my tongue hard! Anyway, for Samantha & Gordon I got Optima Tea Tree Oil and Organic Tea Tree soothing antiseptic cream 1 for each of them.

Every evening before bed I suggested that they use each use

3 drops of Tea Tree oil in 1 pint of warm water, soak their own facecloth in the water, gently squeeze but keep quite a lot of moisture in the facecloth & place it on their face for a while, gently pressing it so that a little moisture flowed on their faces. After around 10 mins they would rinse their face with cool water. Use a clean towel to pat dry their faces.

Wash their hands thoroughly and apply the Tea Tree antiseptic cream on any acne spot using a clean cottonwool bud for each application.

It took them one month but it was worth it because after that as soon as a spot appeared they knew exactly what to do. Remember to use clean face cloths, towels, cottonwool buds and above all CLEAN HANDS. If you touch a spot and don't wash your hands immediately you will contaminate another part of your face.

It is tedious but worth it I promise you.

Incidentally my granddaughter is suffering now but she is using the Monsia Acne Treatment System, her acne is very mild and she thinks this will work for her. She only started a couple of weeks ago and it seems to be working but she is also washing her face with the Tea Tree oil with water they way her mum did who incidentally did not offer advice until asked.

Hydrate Hydrate Hydrate!  Make sure you are drinking atleast 8 cups of water a day.  Also, a healthy diet without too many starches or sugar and processed foods.

Do you use a cleanser or face scrub at all?  I use a natural one (least likely to bother your face) called Ora's Amazing Herbal face powder scrub with charcoal in it.  I switch back and forth between extra virgin unrefined organic coconut oil and ora's face oil serum for moisture.  Also, remove all makeup at night and wash your face every morning.

Try using turmeric face masks this will purify your skin (you can remove the excess yellowing color with sesame oil) after face mask you can moisturize with coconut oil or you can also break vitamin e capsules and put the oily stuff on your skin. For the pimples and black heads the turmeric will do wonders if you want an extra kick try tea tree oil.  

I have the same problem. I wash and moisturize my skin daily. Don't exfoliate too often. My holy grail product that helps me with smooth makeup application is the Too Faced Hangoverx primer. It has coconut water and probiotics that keep your skin hydrated and makes makeup application go on smoothly.

If you have acne problems, dilute some tea tree oil with coconut oil and apply to your acne, it will help a lot.

Also try using the Revlon Color Stay foundation for dry skin.

My t-zone was very dry and flaky with makeup until I started using these products, it helps out a lot. Moisturize before you go to bed and before you do your makeup especially.

When my kids were your age and suffering as you are this is what I suggested for them. My daughter's skin was bad. I did not interfere until they asked for help, I must admit I had to bite my tongue hard! Anyway, for Samantha & Gordon I got Optima Tea Tree Oil and Organic Tea Tree soothing antiseptic cream 1 for each of them.

Every evening before bed I suggested that they use each use

3 drops of Tea Tree oil in 1 pint of warm water, soak their own facecloth in the water, gently squeeze but keep quite a lot of moisture in the facecloth & place it on their face for a while, gently pressing it so that a little moisture flowed on their faces. After around 10 mins they would rinse their face with cool water. Use a clean towel to pat dry their faces.

Wash their hands thoroughly and apply the Tea Tree antiseptic cream on any acne spot using a clean cottonwool bud for each application.

It took them one month but it was worth it because after that as soon as a spot appeared they knew exactly what to do. Remember to use clean face cloths, towels, cottonwool buds and above all CLEAN HANDS. If you touch a spot and don't wash your hands immediately you will contaminate another part of your face.

It is tedious but worth it I promise you.

Incidentally my granddaughter is suffering now but she is using the Monsia Acne Treatment System, her acne is very mild and she thinks this will work for her. She only started a couple of weeks ago and it seems to be working but she is also washing her face with the Tea Tree oil with water they way her mum did who incidentally did not offer advice until asked.
I suggest a natural remedy for that first, like drinking a lot of water. It is advisable especially if it needs to moisturize and if it looks dry. Personally, I also have some vitamin supplements like vitamin c and vitamin e. I noticed that it helps a lot. For other possible treatments, I suggest a prescription from a dermatologist already especially if she has a very sensitive skin.

Well there are a number of ways to get rid of dry and rough skin, but I prefer the natural ones. They works wonder on my skin. Sharing a few ideas from my blog post on get rid of acne using cinnamon.

Get rid of acne with Honey and cinnamon Face Mask Ingredients

How to apply

• Mix all the ingredients to make a smooth paste and apply on cleaned face and neck. 
  • Keep it for 5-10 minutes and wash it off.
  • Repeat it for 2-3 times in a week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I had really dry desert skin and eczema. which would flake and have dry patches. I used every moisuriser you could imagine and a few hours later it was like it was never there all those eczema creams were useless for me and prescription creams just did nothing.. I now have no eczema which is another story. but what I do now and would recommend is to get a TCA peel or do it yourself as long as you really look into it and are careful that will sort out the texture and bumps. I will do a 25% tca peel at least once a year. then I use a 10% AHA that you leave on overnight and wash off in the morning as my main exfoliator. then of course for moisturiser I use rosehip seed oil and nivea q10 anti wrinkle cream on top I always use an anti wrinkle as they just hydrate the skin more and thats what i need. and some nights i will coat my face in rosehip seed oil and then coconut oil on top just to really nourish the skin. you can always mix some essential oils in there too as long as you are not sensitive to them like lavender, Geranium, Neroli, Frankinscense,Sandalwood. never use them neat always mix with a carrier oil like coconut oil. you might be able to use lavender on its own just depends on your skin.. 

You should change your skincare routine, I suppose. Try finding some exfoliating products that suit best for your skin type, and make sure you use them consistently.

Latest posts

Back