Products for keeping lips soft and moisturized?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a baaaad problem with my lips getting dry and sometimes they literally get to the point of flaking

I do sugar lip scrubs occasionally, I wear natural chapsticks, I used Vaseline, you name it

Lips still get disgustingly dry

Any tips or products that work for you?

@@TabethaRose - You need Bite Beauty's Agave Lip Mask. You should always be sleeping with something on your lips, like a lip balm or treatment. Of course, I love Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment, but it is quite pricey and lasts about as long as a regular chapstick. I've never been a fan of Chapstick in general, bc it's really just petroleum jelly that sits on top of the lips, and doesn't really sink into the lips and hydrate them like you need it to. Sure, it protects your lips from harsh pollutants and UV rays, etc. And it may hold in some moisture, but that doesn't really help if there is no moisture there to begin with. There are a few drugstore lip balms and oils I've found that are nice. My favorite is Blistex Soft & Lush, bc it lasts all night and I wake up with my lips still saturated by morning. Yes To Coconut Oil Lip Treatment is also very hydrating and all natural as well.

Bite Beauty Agave Lip Mask is also all natural, and will run you $26 at Sephora, but this stuff will last you a good year, at least. Put it on your lips before you go to sleep every night and you wake up, gently wipe it off, and you will have the most moisturized pillowy-soft lips of life. Seriously. It's every makeup artist's life saver.

I definitely second the use of Bite Beauty's Agave Lip Mask. I live in Las Vegas where the heat and dry weather are brutal on my skin, especially as a recent transplant from Florida (whoa boy- such a difference). Anyways, this lip mask has been my savior for the past two years- and I've only gone through a total of 1 tube. It's fantastic.

I would also like to suggest maybe switching to Lush's lip scrubs. I use their Mint Julips and it's fantastic. It's super simple to use and you literally just lick it off once applied, which makes it really convenient. Because of this convenience, I actually found myself exfoliating my lips quite often, whereas in the past, I did it far less than I should have. Once I started exfoliating more often, I have found that my lips are in the greatest condition ever. Especially when you wear matte lipsticks/ lip stains, I've found it's really important to put emphasis on the lip scrubs. 

@@missfawnie I just moved to OK from Las Vegas, and we were stationed with the AF in Seattle before that! From a rainy forest, to the desert! Lol it was such a shock to me too! I had to bump all my moisturizers up to the "rich/butter/intense/drench" kind, lol.

I looooooove Lush and everything they do, seriously! But my very first product from them was the Bubblegum Lip Scrub! Haha it's still my favorite, to this day. What could be better than all natural sugar on the skin?? And edible?? Yassssss please! 

Drink water. Mint and or menthol is super drying. Something with shea butter is better. Coconut oil is great. Lush lip scrub or the new Clinique lip balm scrub thing is nice.Btw all good lip products sit on your lips. They don't sink into your lips lol. The point is to provide a protective layer to keep moisture in. Petroleum jelly like vaseline esp at night is actually a good option. To keep lips from being dry, I often wear something heavy like Vaseline and haven't had dry lips in years. Avoid alcohol, citrus, rose , menthol. They are perfume and can be irritating thus drying. Apply something with spf during the day. I have one from Loccitaine.

Hello there, the The Body Shop has this amazing product called lip scuff it helps with dried lips. Its made of some sort of seeds which are used as an exfoliator and oils that help with mosturising the lips. I use that in combination of there lip balm. I found that combo worked best for the winter months. I hope this helps :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Lately I've been using Kari Gran lip whip and it's really moisturizing and seems to last. I like Fresh Sugar lip balm too and I want to try the Bite agave lip mask.

So, a good lip balm needs to have two types of moisturizers in it: humectant moisturizer and occlusive moisturizer. A humectant moisturizer actually does sink into the lips, and then pull moisture from deep within the skin. An occlusive moisturizer then creates a barrier on top of the lips to hold moisture in. So, obviously, you need a lip product with both. A lip product with only one of these isn't going to work and will actually make your lips more dry. Petroleum jelly was originally used as a medical salve, and it is a great occlusive. I'm assuming that most women who only use an occlusive, are doing pretty well with keeping their skin moisturized at all times, and that makes it really effective, as it locks in all that great moisture you have. But, if you really want to heal your lips, I would recommend replacing any lost moisture deep in the skin with a humectant, like hyaluronic acid or glycerin, which will concentrate moisture and pull it to the surface of your lips, and then sealing it in with an occlusive, like petroleum jelly, shea butter or beeswax.

There are definitely women out there that have medical issues, or severe chronic dry skin, that lack moisture deep within the skin. Sometimes, it's due to medication, or medical conditions, and sometimes it's just genetic. Just because using an occlusive only, works for someone you know, doesn't mean it will be all you need. Granted, it will work for a lot of women, but if you are still having issues with your lips, check the ingredients of your lip product to make sure they have both these types of moisturizers in it.

There's this product Vaseline Lip Therapy Color & Care. I've been using it for 2-3 weeks and it has really made my lips softer! Check out this video

Latest posts

Back