is counting cals a healthy way to lose weight????

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Because I think yes and no.

Yes because you can never be over the top with food and lose control. If you know what are the best quality of food and whats real food (like fruits veggies legumes potatoes etc) you will be able to lose and maintain.

But.

Counting calories messes up your mind. Its overwelming frustrating confusing exhausting and bad.

So what can you do?

Oh and please dont tell me to build habits and exercise. I already do this.

If you want to lose weight a little faster ,not super fast,habits are not the way to go. These are slow and you dont always have the courage to be the same weight again.

I agree, counting calories can be good and bad. I used to count calories and watch my weight all the time. I would always have cravings and wanted to quit every diet I ever tried after a couple of days into it. I used to exercise every day and eat small portions. I was a lot skinnier than I'm now but getting older I just don't care to watch it that much and having an auto-immune disease to deal with makes some days so hard that I just can't bother with calorie counting and watching everything so closely. A few years ago I quit going on a scale, started eating real foods with some candy or other sweets as desserts and didn't count any calories. I've been around the same weight for about few years now and how I know is from how my cloths fit. I don't weigh myself, I just go by how my clothing fits. If my jeans get tight I know my portions have been too big or I've eaten too many sweets. I cut back on the sweets or food portions for a while and the jeans fit better again. I don't obsess over what I eat and what are diet foods etc. I eat whatever I want but in moderation and mostly home cooked regular food. I have to be gluten free which makes it harder but I just try and listen to my body and whatever it craves I eat. Some days I only want to eat healthy and eat salads etc and other days I crave pasta and meat so I cook gluten free pasta with steak. I eat whatever sounds good each day so my diet varies a lot day by day with exception of breakfast and lunch which are usually about the same foods every day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Οh very interesting Reija.

Thats so nice that youare not restricting on your eating.

I have +20kilos to lose. I didnt put them all in one night. It took me 2 years to put and since then i maintain them.

Im not into counting and weighting food. But I ll have to find a way,you know........to lose the excess weight.

I'd like to be a little thinner than I'm now. I know I need to cut back on my portions of food if I want to lose weight but I like food so it's harder to eat less but I don't change what I eat. I just eat less of it. I've found that the foods you eat and especially the amount of food matters more than exercise. I used to exercise almost every day and it didn't really help me lose weight. It just made me gain more muscle which made me weight more.

Oh i understand.

I know do freeletics 3 times a week. And pre workout some minutes on treadmill .

I think exercise is more helpul with body shape and not kilos. So if you want to burn fat in certain areas and to re shape your body in order to not look lose or flubby,exercise is tge best way to go.

I used to restrict my self with portions but crazy little amounts of food and i was been skinny. Yes i put it back.

But i was acting like crazy back then.you know after a while you re getting used to small portions and eating less so i made the mistake to eat even less.

So another good option are these plates for portion measurement.

Oh excuse my english i feel bad.

I will search these. Maybe they will help me. And i will have my own personal plate?!!!!!yes. Or i can make a diy!!it will be fun. What about you?do you want to try this method?

I m not good in counting calories so this plate would be so nicer for me.

A special plate is a good idea. I've used smaller plates before and it seemed to help. Eating foods that taste really good to you are helpful too. I choose foods that might be high in calories but taste really good so I'm satisfied with eating smaller portions.

20160726_134739.jpg20160726_134744.jpg

So i bought this today. This is my lunch. I just ate it.

Im so happy that I have this.

Well okay every each one of choice I have to go healthy,but even I won't I will still be able to control the amount of what I eat. Even if its chips I ll still be able to not overeat/binge. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />)

Looks like a great meal @@makeupilove! If you are still hungry after you could add a small salad with olive oil. Adding some olive oil on the tomatoes would also help. The little extra healthy fat helps to keep you from getting too hungry and you won't crave carbs as much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just ate another meal. Watermelon in the bigger part and 2 small plums at the small part of the plate.

Its funny and I enjoy using this plate. Its just like kid's entertainment.haha

Btw because I dont want to wash it 4 or 5 times a day,or as many times I eat,I would like to take 2 more exact plates. They have it on a store like..in my neighborhood so its very cheap. 1euro. And its very solid plastic. Not light. So its good.

Ps i thinknit will help me to lose weight. At least i hope

In the spring I started a diet of mostly fruit with eggs and jerky for protein.  It was sort of working but temptation was everywhere.  Each time I'd make progress I'd want to cheat on my diet or skip exercising for a few days.  Honestly the only thing that has helped was downloading pokemon on my phone. I hate treadmills.  My kettle bell bores me to tears.  But since I downloaded this app, all I want to do is walk around until the battery dies. During lunch I walk around outside the office.  As soon as I get home I put on my sneakers and walk around my neighborhood. All weekend long I'm walking around the park. It's only been 3 weeks but all my clothes fit better.

In the spring I started a diet of mostly fruit with eggs and jerky for protein.  It was sort of working but temptation was everywhere.  Each time I'd make progress I'd want to cheat on my diet or skip exercising for a few days.  Honestly the only thing that has helped was downloading pokemon on my phone. I hate treadmills.  My kettle bell bores me to tears.  But since I downloaded this app, all I want to do is walk around until the battery dies. During lunch I walk around outside the office.  As soon as I get home I put on my sneakers and walk around my neighborhood. All weekend long I'm walking around the park. It's only been 3 weeks but all my clothes fit better.
I thought Pokemon would help me get off the couch but I failed. LOL. I do not have Pokeballs anymore so I could not catch any Pokemons. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

On the topic, a month ago, I motivated myself to eat healthy because I want to go back to my pre-pregnancy weight. I got so obsessed with calorie counts, sugar and salt content of each food that I take. Until recently, I felt it's not doing good for me. I step on the weighing scale and see that it is working! Aside from that, I took bootcamp classes and walk my kid around the neighborhood so I could get 6000 steps per day.

IDK what happened to me but it went downhill a few days ago. My weight fluctuates. I lost 5lbs then two days after, I gain 6lbs. I do not have anyone to motivate me in my fitness journey so I ditched that calorie obsession.

What I just did for the past few days is to get hydrated in between meals. It makes me feel full and eventually I eat less. I use a small plate too and control myself not to take another serving of food. Fruits and trail mix for snacks are good too. I eat whatever I like as long as I drink plenty of water. Absolutely no junk food in our household. Though sometimes, I drink soda once a week.

No its not healthy but you probably already know that .I know a girl who does it and she even takes pics of what she eats its pretty much a different type of eating disorder only instead of straight up saying you have a problem its masked by food diarys and food instagram pics and counting calories / health / fitness talk 24/7 .Its in no way going to work out because on those apps the amount of calories per a day would have you passing out unless you stay at home 24/7 dont work or anything you need energy throughout the day and your not going to be able to function properly otherwise.Its mainly for people with way too much time on their hands.Join a gym or start exercising eat salad do it that way the old fashioned way.

The counting calories / food diary thing has been done by anorexics / bulimics before instagram even existed.I see a girls food diary and she is an actual anorexic and she took a picture of a slice of pizza saying on her instagram how hard it was to eat the pizza like I'am sorry but b*** you need help if you are having a nervous breakdown over eating 1 slice of pizza and your 5 pounds lol.

Last edited:
Oh i agree so much barbie.

Ps. I feel sad for these girls who have eating disorders. They need help.

Thats it. Im just using a small plate.

Nothing more complicated.

Yeah it is sad but at some point they need to focus on something other than themselves and how they look 24/7 and  do something for someone or think about someone other than themselves all day long thats how they  become that obsessed to the point of a mental breakdown its constant  thoughts about their apperance I think its almost like a self absorbed way of thinking its all about thyself .People with problems always tend to dwell on their own issues all the time instead they could be focused on many other things or other people around them.

At the end of the day everybody needs food everyone has to eat whether your fat or thin if thats how people define themselves and their self worth thats where you know you need to do something about your life because they dont love themselves your gonna be you regardless of your weight or apperance .

Last edited:
Im speechless now. Thank u for these words.

You are ypu regardless of your weight.

Yeah sometimes we get stuck with improving appearance and it gets super annoying.

All I have to do is be more healthy just with eating vlean and exercise. No restrictions. Thanks. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Im speechless now. Thank u for these words.

You are ypu regardless of your weight.

Yeah sometimes we get stuck with improving appearance and it gets super annoying.

All I have to do is be more healthy just with eating vlean and exercise. No restrictions. Thanks. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Yeah food diarys are cray .This one girls dont know her personally but well you will get the idea....literally everything she puts in her mouth she has to take a pic of what she ate in her lifetime.

https://www.instagram.com/embers.recovery/

Latest posts

Back