Question & Answers by Bobbi Brown

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Q: Can you really shrink the size of your pores with certain treatments?

Bobbi Brown: No. The best way to make your pores look smaller is with an oil-free foundation. And a loose powder applied with a powder puff. There's no skincare treatment that will actually shrink pores.

Q: Can you give me some tips for hiding under eye circles?

Bobbi Brown: The best way to hide under eye circles is with a concealer one shade lighter than your foundation layered over eye cream and applied up into the lash line and the inner corner of the eye next to the nose. Then add a yellow-toned powder to keep it on longer and blend into the skin better. I never leave my home without one.

Q: What is the best way to apply lip color for maximum staying power?

Bobbi Brown: The long-lasting lipsticks might last all day, but they really look bad. The way to get your lipstick to last longer is to apply it to clean lips (a matte formula works best.) Then take lip pencil, outline your lips and fill in entire lip with pencil. This will keep lipstick on for hours. You can touch it up with a bit of gloss on top for freshness. I find that the drier the lips, the less lipstick stays, so I suggest using a lip balm when not using lipstick to keep lips moist. Also, drink a ton of water.

Q: Is there anything one can do to reduce the appearance of blackheads? My friend has a bunch of them on the ball of her nose. She uses cleanser every day but hasn't been able to get rid of them.

Bobbi Brown: I definitely suggest you visit a dermatologist. With at-home skin care, it's better not to pick them yourself because you could cause scarring. But any kind of exfoliation will help keep blackheads away. But I do suggest seeing a professional.

Q: I use a retinol cream, and sometimes my foundation doesn't go on smoothly over it, any suggestions?

Bobbi Brown: Retinol creme might improve texture of skin, but is not for smoothing the skin for foundation. I suggest using a lotion or a creme that is free of any active ingredients, like AHA, on top of the retinol creme and under foundation. So, you're basically layering with the two to make the retinol work.

Q: What are the benefits of cream or gel blush vs. powder?

Bobbi Brown: All three formulas of blush do different things. Creme blush gives a dewy, soft look; gel blush is transparent and almost looks wind burned, and powder blush is actually the easiest and longest lasting. If you're going for the most natural, I suggest powder, because its application is mistake proof, where gel and creme take a little more skill to blend properly.

Q: Could you tell me what extra-soothing balm does?

Bobbi Brown: Extra soothing balm is an all-over treatment for very dry skin that can be applied without makeup, under makeup or over makeup; it creates very pretty, dewy cheeks. It could be used on the face, hands--everywhere.

Q: I've got naturally red (closer to strawberry blonde), curly hair, blue eyes and fair (but not too fair) skin. Can you recommend particular colors of lipstick, shadows I should use?

Bobbi Brown: My suggestion is to choose soft, pastel colors with a little gold tone to them. For example, try banana and camel, which are warm tones, with a pale pink blush. For lipstick, as long as it's sheer and soft you can wear anything.

Q: What is the difference between dry skin and dehydrated skin?

Bobbi Brown: There's not a lot of difference. Dry skin cannot be dehydrated if you drink a lot of water; it's just surface dryness. But sometimes, dehydrated skin needs water desperately. I recommend drinking a lot of water and using a very rich moisturizer.

Q: What color mascara is best?

Bobbi Brown: I really like black mascara. You can use brown for weekends or when you desire a softer look. I am not a fan of colored mascara.

Q: What can men do to soften their skin? Are there any good products out there?

Bobbi Brown: Men have it easy because men shave which exfoliates skin. I suggest washing your face with a cleanser instead of soap and using a moisturizer. It's very simple when you're a guy, you don't need many products. Though some men do use eye cream and all should use sun protection in their moisturizer.

Q: I use a cover stick, followed by light applications of cream foundation and powder to cover the dark circles under my eyes. My question is how can I prevent the makeup from creeping into fine lines under my eyes? Are there any specific products that you recommend?

Bobbi Brown: It's all about formula. Make sure the formula of the concealer is creamy, but not greasy and also make sure that your eye cream absorbs quickly and isn't too greasy. Lastly, use a sheer powder with a puff on top of concealer; it will make sure that the concealer doesn't move from where you applied it.

Q: What's the most important thing that you can do for your skin when you are in your fifties?

Bobbi Brown: The most important things are not smoking, wearing sunscreen, drinking lots of water, and wearing moisturizer. And don't forget about the benefits of exercise; nothing makes your skin look better.

Q: Are all-in-one products as effective as sun block by itself?

Bobbi Brown: I like to use a moisturizer with an SPF of between 15 to 30 for daytime. You need to choose one that works with a foundation. For beach, ski, golf, or any outdoor activity in the sun, I recommend a sunscreen that you buy with high SPF but that is also waterproof. My favorite is by Bullfrog--it's what surfers use--but it's not great under foundation.

Q: How can you apply make-up so it lasts throughout the day?

Bobbi Brown: Layering powder on top of foundation will keep foundation on longer. Using gel eyeliner will make sure you have eyeliner on when you get home in the evening. Waterproof mascara lasts longer than regular, and layering powder and cream blush will keep it on longer than using just one blush.

Q: Is loose face powder better than pressed?

Bobbi Brown: Loose face powder is better only that it is more natural because it can be very sheer. Pressed is best for touching up.

Q: Is there really a difference between $10 skin care products and $50 products?

Bobbi Brown: That's a tough question because you can get great skincare products in your drugstore and in the department store. Sometimes there's more technology in the higher priced products and sometimes they just smell and feel better.

Q: What kind of face powder should you use when you have larger pores?

Bobbi Brown: I suggest an oil-free powder in a skin tone color that is close to your skin and use a powder puff when applying for best coverage.

Q: You've seen and worked on a million faces. What is the most effective treatment for smoothing fine lines? Are there any that don't work?

Bobbi Brown: What works for me, personally and on other people, is a very, very dense rich creme. I make one that's called "Extra." It's very dense and rich and makes skin as smooth as possible. So look for a creme that is super rich and full of great oils.

Q: I've tried all brands of waterproof mascara, but my mascara is still smudging by midday. Is there any way to keep mascara from smudging and giving me raccoon eyes?

Bobbi Brown: Make sure you don't have too much moisture around your eyes--an eye creme that is too heavy for daytime or a concealer that you didn't apply powder to. I'm guessing that a powder is needed around your eyes if you've tried many mascaras and none worked.

Q: Can you suggest a "5-minute" makeup plan for hectic mornings?

Bobbi Brown: Be organized and prepared. You can put on your makeup in seven steps: concealer, foundation or tinted moisturizer, powder to set it, blush or bronzer on cheeks, eyeliner in a shadow around eyes, mascara, lipstick.

Q: What are some tips to looking fresh in the office? Are there any "must have" items that I should keep in my desk drawer?

Bobbi Brown: It depends what your needs are. If oily, keep pressed powder in your desk. If your blush fades, then keep a blush on hand. If you rub your eyes, you'll probably need a little bit of eye shadow. And for everyone, lipstick. That definitely needs to be touched up often. I also keep a rich cream for my cheeks.

Q: Do you recommend using lip-glosses? And if so, do you put it on over regular lip color, or use it alone or with a pencil?

Bobbi Brown: Any way you use lip gloss is ok. You can layer it, wear it alone or wear with pencil. Depending on your mood, they all work.

Q: When should I apply sunscreen? Under my moisturizer or over my foundation?

Bobbi Brown: Sunscreen gets applied to clean skin under makeup. But sunscreen is always good when it's in a moisturizer. I don't recommend using two separate products.

Q: No matter how little concealer I apply, it cakes. Why?

Bobbi Brown: Probably the formula is either too greasy or too dry. It sounds like you need a little bit of eye cream to keep the area smooth. Check formulas and make sure everything is very creamy.

Q: My eyebrows are going crazy! They are curling and growing in different directions. Are there rules for shaping and taming brows?

Bobbi Brown: I like to go to a professional. Then I just do monthly upkeep. To groom, use a brow grooming gel, which will keep brows in place. Brows can also be trimmed with cuticle scissors, but I like to leave that to an expert.

Q: Is your concealer for use all over the face, or just for the eyes? Is it better to cover other facial areas with a foundation stick?

Bobbi Brown: Concealer is to be used only for dark areas under the eyes It should not be used on your eyelid. Nor should it be used on skin, because to be effective it has to be one shade lighter than your skin and your foundation.

Q: Should face powder be pressed on the skin or stroked on like foundation?

Bobbi Brown: Face powder should be gently pressed; I like to use it only on parts that are oily or need long-lasting coverage. For dry skin, I sometimes apply it only under the eyes and around the nose, skipping the rest of the face.

Q: I have very short eyelashes. How can I get them to look full?

Bobbi Brown: A great trick is to use eyeliner brush with mahogany shadow applied close to lash line and smudge with Q-tip or fingertip. This gives an illusion of fuller lashes and works for women who have lost lashes due to chemotherapy.

Q: I've tried using eyebrow pencil to fill out my brows, but it ends up looking fake. Any tips on creating a natural look with pencil?

Bobbi Brown:I can't get a pencil to look natural. I believe that filling in brows with a matte shadow that matches brows is the easiest and most natural application for the eyebrow.

Q: What is the best way to control shine?

Bobbi Brown: With a shine control gel applied under foundation, an oil-free foundation and oil-free powder applied with a puff. I envy women with oily skin as they rarely get wrinkles.

Q: How long can I keep a tube of mascara before it has to be replaced?

Bobbi Brown: Mascara is the fastest turn around for any makeup product. Six months is average. Nine is pushing it. As soon as it starts having a funny odor or starts to dry out, it's time for it to go.

Q: How do you find out what is the best lipstick shade for your skin tone?

Bobbi Brown: Find a lipstick that works when you have no makeup on. Could be skin tone or bright red or orange depending on your style.

Q: What do you think of the makeup tattooing? Is it safe?

Boobi Brown: I'm not a big fan of tattooing because it's permanent and I've seen lots of cases where the results are unnatural and unflattering. If you can do it with makeup, why take a chance on anything that's permanent.

Q: Do you have any storage tips for makeup?

Bobbi Brown: I keep all my makeup at room temperature. Make sure to avoid heat. For example, don't leave it in your car in the summertime.

Q: What's a good shadow color for deep-set brown eyes?

Bobbi Brown: Brown shadows because they will not fight your eye color; they will make them stand out.

Q: What soft shadow brings out blue eyes?

Bobbi Brown: Blue eyes look good in brown shadows too, but they look amazing in grays, slates, and navies. I don't recommend green shadows for blue eyes. For green eyes, yellowy brown shadows can make the eyes pop, and for evening, charcoal and gun metal work great for all three eye colors; they give the eyes a smoky effect.

Q: How can I emphasize my eyes without drawing more attention to droopy eyelids?

Bobbi Brown: The best way is to line your eyes close to the lashes, top and bottom, using a soft, medium-toned shadow on the lid, mostly the outer corner, but gently blended toward the nose. This will create depth and make your eyes pop out.

Source

What type of powder do you put over liquid foundation? She mentions powder, but I don't know if she means loose powder or pressed powder. In fact, what is the difference?

I'm guessing loose because loose is what most people use to set foundation. There's a thread about powders that was made only today. Here it is

Thanks for this Mel,I love some of her tips,but some I don't like at all-I'm totally not for black mascara for example,but that's just me,lol

Thanx for this useful info. Straight up answers to straight up questions.

Tann

Great thread, I actually learned a few new things. Thanks for posting. I really like Bobbi Brown, she seems sweet. Her makeup is very natural looking and the Fall season line looks really nice.

Latest posts

Back