Stila Eyeliner Pen OK to Share Between Clients?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am a makeup artist who typically uses gel pot eyeliners for my clients. I scoop out product onto a sterilized stainless steel palette for each client, and I use different scoops of product and different brushes for each client. In this way, I follow sterile technique protocols.

My next client is a bride who loves the Stila All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner, and she wants me to use this eyeliner pen on her and all five of her bridesmaids. Obviously, I don't want to purchase six $20 eyeliners to use a different one for each woman.

My question is about whether or not one Stila All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner pen can be shared between multiple individuals? I have actually seen a licensed makeup artist at a salon use this product (one pen) on multiple clients, but I want to make sure that if I do this, I will not be making my clients susceptible to eye infection.

I am not a licensed makeup artist (my state doesn't require licensure to do makeup), but I have a Bachelor's degree in Biology with extensive laboratory training and experience, so I am sterile technique trained, and I follow sterile technique when doing makeup. In another forum, I read that there is a "[SIZE=12.8px]70% alcohol rule" - If a product has 70% alcohol, it is the ideal amount to eliminate the transfer of microbes between clients. I'm not sure I believe this, but if this is true and the Stila eyeliner pen is 70% alcohol, it would make sense why I saw a makeup artist using the same pen for multiple clients.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12.8px]... I get grossed out when I see a makeup artist dipping her brush into the same eye shadow well for different clients, but I guess this is normal in the industry? [/SIZE]

For anyone who is a licensed makeup artist, please let me know if I can share the Stila eyeliner pen among my clients.

This is the product: https://www.stilacosmetics.com/products/stay-all-day-waterproof-liquid-eye-liner?color=Intense+Black+%28Jet+Black%29&via=560aaeae69702d72b500000f%2C560aaeae69702d72b5000011

Latest posts

Back