New to Makeup. Need Serious Advice!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone :)

As the title states, I'm very much so a makeup newbie! I'm 26-years-old and currently trying to find ways in which to take better care of my skin. I have a very oily T section, with pores visible in the mirror, and at the same time it's rather dry and flaky. When I've put on foundation in the past, it becomes rather powdery and flaky! This has always put me off wearing more than just some eyeliner and lipstick.

In the past couple of years, I have noticed my face has hollowed out a fair bit. I had some surgery a while back as I had an infection in one cheek, so I've always had a bit more of a dimple there than in the other cheek, not to mention the skin is a lot weaker there, so I have a few more smile lines on that particular side. I noticed my cheeks are uneven, and I'm quite insecure about it, not to mention the hollowing out to begin with! I Have a very small face, so it's like it's shrunk even further, which looks very strange in photos taken from the distance.

I'm just wondering first of all if there's anything at all that can help with cheek plumping, even just a little bit, any product or anything. Secondly, I'm quite into cosplay! And the characters I cosplay as generally have a lot fuller faces than I do, so I'm wondering what kind of makeup tips you might have for me to give the illusion of having a fuller face, rather than these visible hollows every time a shadow is cast upon it. Please tell me there's a solution to this with makeup! :)

I shall attach some photos. As you can see I'm quite young looking for my age (people ask if I'm still in school). The first two are pretty raw from just now - tired, bed hair, terrible eyebrows, bad lighting! so don't judge me :) haha. I feel it just shows the cheek hollows quite well, and the slight dimple from the surgery. The other is at a friend's wedding, where I had makeup professionally applied, and was really pleased with the result! I'm just not so certain about the process.

If anyone has some tips for me on skincare and/or makeup, some helpful video tutorials even to really help me learn, please let me know. I really just need some help here, and I'd really love to learn how to do this properly.

Thank you very much :) I appreciate it.

Forum01.png

Forum02.png

forum03.png

Hello everyone :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

As the title states, I'm very much so a makeup newbie! I'm 26-years-old and currently trying to find ways in which to take better care of my skin. I have a very oily T section, with pores visible in the mirror, and at the same time it's rather dry and flaky. When I've put on foundation in the past, it becomes rather powdery and flaky! This has always put me off wearing more than just some eyeliner and lipstick.

In the past couple of years, I have noticed my face has hollowed out a fair bit. I had some surgery a while back as I had an infection in one cheek, so I've always had a bit more of a dimple there than in the other cheek, not to mention the skin is a lot weaker there, so I have a few more smile lines on that particular side. I noticed my cheeks are uneven, and I'm quite insecure about it, not to mention the hollowing out to begin with! I Have a very small face, so it's like it's shrunk even further, which looks very strange in photos taken from the distance.

I'm just wondering first of all if there's anything at all that can help with cheek plumping, even just a little bit, any product or anything. Secondly, I'm quite into cosplay! And the characters I cosplay as generally have a lot fuller faces than I do, so I'm wondering what kind of makeup tips you might have for me to give the illusion of having a fuller face, rather than these visible hollows every time a shadow is cast upon it. Please tell me there's a solution to this with makeup! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I shall attach some photos. As you can see I'm quite young looking for my age (people ask if I'm still in school). The first two are pretty raw from just now - tired, bed hair, terrible eyebrows, bad lighting! so don't judge me :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> haha. I feel it just shows the cheek hollows quite well, and the slight dimple from the surgery. The other is at a friend's wedding, where I had makeup professionally applied, and was really pleased with the result! I'm just not so certain about the process.

If anyone has some tips for me on skincare and/or makeup, some helpful video tutorials even to really help me learn, please let me know. I really just need some help here, and I'd really love to learn how to do this properly.

Thank you very much :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I appreciate it.
Wow ! you look soo different with makeup on you look like a completely different person.Unfortunately Other than botox I dont know of any fillers that could have that same effect as far as cheekbones go.You could try to do contour and highlight it makes your cheeckbones more visible / stand out more you might like that but it doesnt make your face fuller I think it makes you look thinner so that might not work the way you want it to either.I dont think your cheeks look hollowed out or think  anything  is wrong with them its probably just your way of thinking they look.

Last edited:
Hello everyone :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">

I'm just wondering first of all if there's anything at all that can help with cheek plumping, even just a little bit, any product or anything. Secondly, I'm quite into cosplay! And the characters I cosplay as generally have a lot fuller faces than I do, so I'm wondering what kind of makeup tips you might have for me to give the illusion of having a fuller face, rather than these visible hollows every time a shadow is cast upon it. Please tell me there's a solution to this with makeup! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">

I shall attach some photos. As you can see I'm quite young looking for my age (people ask if I'm still in school). The first two are pretty raw from just now - tired, bed hair, terrible eyebrows, bad lighting! so don't judge me :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20"> haha. I feel it just shows the cheek hollows quite well, and the slight dimple from the surgery. The other is at a friend's wedding, where I had makeup professionally applied, and was really pleased with the result! I'm just not so certain about the process.

Thank you very much :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20"> I appreciate it.
You are pretty! I don't think your cheeks are too hollow or anything like that. Using a highlighter/contour can lift cheeks and bring light to the face. Kandee Johnson has some tutorials on contouring.

Latest posts

Back