Advice for 2-toned skin

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am new to makeup and have yet to really master finding the right foundation. I think a major part of my problem is that while my body is tan with gold undertones, my face is much lighter and doesnt have the undertone.

My question is: When buying foundation, do I pick a foundation to match my body even if it darkens my face? I feel like I would be embarrassed if anyone noticed how much lighter it is if I were to start wearing it, then remove it.

It's usually best to match the foundation to your neck. You don't want a dark line at your jaw line. The rule of thumb is that you want the foundation to disappear in your jaw line when you are looking at your neck from the side. You can add more dimension to your makeup by adding a bronzer/highlighter/blush to add some color and blend your makeup more so that it doesn't stand out as being so much lighter then your body. 

I agree with @Reija. Blending will be key. I would opt for a foundation maybe one or two shades darker than your face, tops, and then use bronzer & highlighter to add dimension and blend down onto the neck. When I used to tan in a tanning bed (gasp! I know, so bad. I was young and naive lol), I would always put a towel over my face so that it wouldn't cause wrinkles. So, of course, my body was a lot more tan than my face. People get that you're not going to be the same color all over. It happens. Sometimes you fall asleep in the sun and your front is more tan than your back, or you've been walking around all day and your shoulders are tan, but your chest? Not so much. Skin can be "ombre" in the summer, fading from tan to porcelain in various areas. So don't worry too much about being the exact same color all over. The center of your face should be lighter anyway, if you're contouring at all. Lots of people get darker foundations for the summer when they're tan, so just ease into it with less concealer or highlight as the days go on, and no one will notice the more tan complexion, other than, "Hey, @@Anju got a tan! She looks like J-Lo!!" lol 

@@Anju go to any local beauty store and they can give you a brief rundown, or just go to YouTube and watch some tutorials. YouTube is the best for self-teaching all these trends that are constantly coming up lol. You'll do great, and remember, practice makes perfect! Do some trial runs before you take your makeup off at night. After all, it washes off!

Back