Favorite primers for oily skin

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm looking to get a new primer for my oily skin. The last one I had was the Tarte Clean Slate Poreless primer, which felt super nice at first but would last me about 1-2 hours before I was oily again. Mind you, I also live in a super humid city.

I want something that keeps me either matte or somewhat dewy (not shiny) for a long time. Between my oily skin and the humidity, it's gonna need to be pretty hardcore. It also needs to not be horrible for my skin/cause breakouts. My skin is relatively pale and my skin tone is neutral. 

I don't wear much foundation on a normal day if any, so it needs to be a good stand-alone too! Money isn't a concern - as long as it's not like $300 for a small tube, I'm good. 

Any other tips for managing an oily face in humidity are also very much appreciated.

Thanks guys! <3

Have you tried Elf Primer? It's available at Wal-Mart and is good as the more expensive brands. Good for oily skin!!

As far as foundation goes, Younique Mineral Touch Foundation offers great coverage! If used with Younique Glorious Primer (or the Elf Primer) this foundation (gentle to the skin) will not sweat off or wear off until you take it off!

(link removed)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was exactly like you I tried so many products/foundations that were supposed to control oilyness that never ever worked.

It's not so much a primer but Murad oil control mattifier with spf 15 is honestly the best product ever. My skin stays matte all day in school with no need for me to re apply it or blot. I use No7 stay perfect foundation with it and I never go out without makeup so I'm not sure how the murad cream would last on its own but these 2 products are honestly lifesavers

My favorite primer is the one by Ben Nye. Ben Nye Neutral Set Setting Powder works well for me, and its cheap and cheerful

I have extremely oily skin and I've found that Laura Geller's spackle is quite helpful. Still will be a bit dewy at the end of the day but helps keep the foundation on at least! The price is not bad either. 

@@Wildishy I love the Murad Mattifying Primer, and the Laura Gellar Spackle Primer for Oily Skin. Those are both great suggestions. Definitely stay away from any silicone based primers, like the Smashbox Foundation Primer, as the humidity will cause your makeup to slip and slide all over the place, not to mention a silicone based primer will clog your pores and give you breakouts, if you're not careful.

Another good tip, is to make sure you're not over-stripping your skin in the morning, before you put your makeup on. If you're exfoliating and cleansing really well at night, and then applying an oil-free moisturizer, then you don't need to scrub and strip your face again 8 hrs later. I always tell my clients with extremely oily skin to use a cleansing toner in the morning to wipe off excess oil, residue, or residual bacteria from your pillow/sheets, and then proceed with your routine as usual. Over stripping your skin of it's natural oils can sometimes make the skin dehydrated, which causes your glands to go into oil-producing hyper drive in an attempt to balance it's own PH. I really like the 3-in-1 Micellar Cleansing Toners from Ren (organic vegan skin care company) and Boots Botanicals (Available at Target). They cleanse, tone and remove residue/makeup without stripping your skin.

As for makeup, make sure you're not using too much foundation, and that it's the right type of foundation for your skin. I would also highly recommend a setting spray, to keep your makeup locked in place. Urban Decay De-Slick is an excellent one! I also suggest a loose, translucent setting powder, as loose powder will soak up more oil than pressed. And make sure you're not applying your face makeup with your fingers, as your fingers produce oil and can cause your foundation to break down faster.

I'm not saying any one of these tips is the culprit, but they are some common causes of why girls with oily skin have issues, in my experience. Good luck!

When it comes to face primers i use the L'oreal magic perfecting base. This stuff works well and i buy two jars of it each time i need to stock up because it literally works really. 

The Tarte Clean Slate Poreless primer is the only thing working for me right now.. I don't know what happened to my skin, I used the Garnier and Loreal magic , and they were pretty good to my skin, but now the Tarte is my only solution. 

For oily skin I just suggested Alovera & herbal products . its really work . I have used this cream for my oily skin its really work in my face and also now my skin gorgeous.. thanks.

Skin Base Visage is an extremely light-weight gel-based primer that neutralizes the redness on the face, and at the same time, adds radiance to it. It instantly minimizes the visibility of pores and dark circles while mattifying the skin. It also has optical diffusers that blur out the imperfections and make the skin look even.

I've hate when a product stops working for me <_< . But I've noticed that if I change something else in my routine it shifts everything around. I was using the Smashbox primer without any issues and then I switched cleansers and noticed that the primer just wasn't lasting as long as before. The cleanser didn't dry out my skin as much as the old one but that meant the primer was now too oily for my skin. I tried the Shiseido matifying moisturizer and the primer finally stayed on my skin! I also really like Benefit's Porefessional primer, it's great on dry skin and lasts fairly long, especially with a setting powder/spray over it. 

This happens to me all the time! I find instead of using a primer which makes my skin oiler in the end I use a liquid foundation that dries to a powder. Hourglass' is amazing and I travel to Florida a lot so it definitely works. Talk about humid.

Back