Help rebooting makeup bag

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am a 30year old woman and so far have got through life on minimal make up. I'm talking a decent foundation, cover stick for circles, bit of blush and mascara (I splash out on lippy forna night out). I have no idea about make up really but think it's high time I grew up a bit and broadened the boundaries of my makeup selection. I like it natural so although I really admire some people's beautiful contouring and fabulous eyes it's probably a bit overdone for myself. Anyway, I am planning on a shopping spree to get in the essentials, I know it's a vague question but what are the essentials to help me look a little more polished? I have lately been experimenting with liquid eye liner and love the flicks so I want a little more. Also include please brushes etc as at present I use my fingers...

IMG_20160907_161335533.jpg

Hi @! Welcome to MUT! Are you looking to shop at Beauty stores or drugstores? NO7 has great foundations and L'oreal True match is great too. If you are not quite sure about foundations, BB creams are great. I prefer BB creams for quick daytime makeup especially if I'm pressed for time. BB creams are just a lighter version of foundations but still gives you some coverage and evens out your skin. Your skin is beautiful in the picture so you really don't need that much coverage. You could use a light colored or coral toned blush to add some warmth. Here are a few pictures for color ideas

revlon blush.jpg

revlon coral blush.jpg

For eyes you could do neutral eyeshadows to bring out the blue in your eyes. Many cosmetic lines have neutral eyeshadow palettes that are a good way to start. You can just apply it as a quick all over color on your lids and combined with a liner and a mascara. Once you get more comfortable you could start playing with different colors, using a darker colour in your crease and lighter on the lid and also using the darker color as an eyeliner to further frame the eyes. For brushes Sonia Kashuk and Ecotools are good. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ I was like you, I had a very basic routine but then went hardcore into contouring, bronzing and highlighting, never leaving the house without a full face of makeup. One thing I'll always remember when I first started is that a good set of brushes make a world of difference, so I went out and bought three sets from Sigma and one from Sedona Lace. The Sigma ones have held up better than any others and they really do a better job, but my Sonia Kashuk ones have held up really well too. Not just the face brushes but the eye brushes as well. Sedona Lace is sort of hit and miss for me but their Vortex set is pretty awesome.

And you have beautiful eyes, I would play them up very lightly, Urban Decay now has the Naked Ultimate Basics palette that would be great to start off with. Even one of the regular Urban Decay Basics palettes would be good too. If you want to try to polish your eyebrows a little bit more, although you really don't need to cause they're perfectly fine now, benefit just came out with two eyebrow kits that come stocked full of eyebrow stuff you can play with. Hope this helps!

Thanks guys that's a really good start. I'll probably go with beauty products. I quite my illimasqua foundation just will purchase the brushes to apply it properly.

I do want a brow kit so is benefit the way to go? I'm getting HD brows done this week and an VERY nervous. I hate hate hate the overdone crayoned look of some HD brows but the girl assured me she can give me a delicate arch so fingers crossed.

I like the sound of starting with neutral shades for eye shadow. Maybe a make up lesson to teach me how to apply it as I really haven't a clue. Especially for daytime wear.

What about setting powders on top of foundation are these essential?

For brushes I really like Morphe and Sigma brushes. My latest favorite is the Sephora pro foundation brush. It makes a huge difference in how the foundation looks. http://www.sephora.com/pro-press-full-coverage-complexion-brush-66-P404231?skuId=1768647&icid2=products%20grid:p404231

Setting powders are definitely essential and help to keep the foundation in place longer and look fresher. One of my favorites is the Laura Mercier translucent powder. It sets the foundation but doesn't change the color. http://www.sephora.com/translucent-loose-setting-powder-P109908?skuId=870618&icid2=products%20grid:p109908

For blushes I wanted to mention that the NARS orgasm is pretty much an universal shade and is a really great blush if you are looking for a one go to blush and don't mind spending a bit more vs drugstore blushes. http://www.sephora.com/blush-P2855?skuId=248930&icid2=products%20grid%3Ap2855

First I wanna say you skin is flawless.  Always have a good base (facial cleanser, toner, moisturizer, primer) For everyday makeup I'd only suggest a dark brown or black mascara (L'oreal Voluminous Million Lashes is my fav) and a tinted lip product in the nude, coral, pink or berry family (Milani, NYX, Revlon).  Maybe a coral or pink blush.  And L'Oreal Infallible Pro Glow or Matte foundation.  L'Oreal true Match foundation.  A dark brown kohl pencil for tight lining and your waterline.  And a rose gold or bronzey eyeshadow you can just apply to your lid with your fingers (Colourpop shadows are best for this...Amira, La La, Sequin, Amaze, Plunge, Onai)  Hope this helps!

Back