HELP w/ recently dyed hair... blonde to brown

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently decided to go from my blonde/salon kept and styled hair to brown and did it spur of the moment with box dye. 

So I have naturally dark blonde/light brown hair that was died with light blonde all over highlights. The box color of choice I used was medium golden brown. It came out slightly darker brown than I had expected and with a reddish hue. It's not THAT BAD.. but as my hair is growing and the color is fading/settling in (for lack of better knowledge of wording) my natural hair color is showing through at my roots and it looks almost like gray hair bc of the difference in the darker colored hair vs my natural color. 

I went to a beauty supply place and the lady that helped me suggested using a blonde wella toner (not sure of the exact color or selection toner she chose, she just suggested the cool/blue blonde toner) she said it would help pull out the reddish tone. She told me that doing this would be more beneficial now also as opposed to trying to dye my hair again. 

Does this sound right? Is the option of stripping all color and starting over with a lighter brown/darker blonde an option that may be better or worse? I DO like the idea of having brown hair again or more closer to my natural hair color. 

The slight hint of red isn't even that much of an issue to me, what I really am trying to get at is trying to find the best options I can do at home without destroying my hair, whether that be toner or dying my hair again. 

Thanks, in advance 

Hi! Welcome to MUT @@Sarah30! Toners are typically more gentle and a better way to go to correct a hair color than actually redying the hair. The toner won't hurt your hair like dye would. You can give it a try and see what you think. If it doesn't work, then you can always go the re dying route.

Back