How do you deal with dry/flaky patches on clients skin?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I always try to ask my clients to exfoliate the night before I do their makeup but many still show up with dry, flaky patches especially around the nostrils, and between the brows. I'm wondering if there is a way to gently exfoliate dry patches on a client's skin prior to makeup application without asking them to wash their face. Does anyone do this? Sometimes I put on a heavier moisturizer and let it soak in for a few minutes then try to gently exfoliate the flaky areas with a tissue but it's not always super effective. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I always try to ask my clients to exfoliate the night before I do their makeup but many still show up with dry, flaky patches especially around the nostrils, and between the brows. I'm wondering if there is a way to gently exfoliate dry patches on a client's skin prior to makeup application without asking them to wash their face. Does anyone do this? Sometimes I put on a heavier moisturizer and let it soak in for a few minutes then try to gently exfoliate the flaky areas with a tissue but it's not always super effective. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
I've had this happen to me a few times on set. For me I get day players and they are due on set within the hour, and like you I use a rich moisturizer, let soak in and use a primed foundation and set with minimal powder. (The tissue exfoliating thing I find makes it worse as the now the flaking skin are like tiny hairs that won't lay flat).

Unfortunately this band-aid technique doesn't hold up and their skin between their brows and around their nostrils begins to flake. What I do between each take is I use a pair of tweezers and gently lift off the flaking skin, touch up with foundation and no powder.

For larger pieces of flaking skin that won't remove easily, I use a bit of foundation (either on a brush or spatula) to lay the skin down again, and again no powder.

I used to use powder to set it, but it makes it look too dry on camera, and the area flakes even more, hence I don't use powder to set it.

As the flaking skin begins to lift again, I just lay it flat again without using any product, as too much product will show as too much product in one area, I've tried using setting sprays, (spray some in a shallow container) and dip a concealer brush and just place it on the flaking skin, but in certain lighting conditions it looks either like a dull or shiny plastic area. But I think for street make-ups it will work just fine as a band-aid trick.

I found that there is no quick solution to resolve flaking skin within an hour, just this band-aid trick that is very temporary and requires constant touching up like every 10 min or so for film. But for street make-ups,the setting liquid should do the trick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back