Makeup/Skin Care Opinions??

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are some recommendations on foundations for really oily skin? Now, when I say I have oily skin, I don't mean shiny. I mean I wash my face and ten minutes later, you can see your thumb print on my forehead. I've tried astringent, oil free makeups, even some homemade "remedies". Nothing has worked. My makeup always looks and feels really sticky, even when I'm not wearing a lot. It's embarrassing and annoying. Any opinions, besides going to a dermatologist? 

Thanks! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Welcome to MUT! Have you tried skin care oils? I know it sounds weird to use oils on an oily skin but it helps adding moisturize to the skin which in turn helps with the oiliness. If the skin gets too dry it will cause it to be even more oily. A heavier moisturizer might help too. Clinique makeup is good for oily skin. I used to use it when my skin was more oily.

Hey, for foundation you can a mattifying primer the only one I have tried is the one heck of a blot from soap and glory which is good then apply a small amount of powder to your face before foundation then for foundation I think Benefit hello flawless foundation should work really well and a bit more powder on top. I dont think you can get oily through that. also make sure its a good powder.

You definitely want to make sure you have your skin care routine down pat before you try to fix any makeup issues you have. This is what I usually recommend to my oily skin clients:

1. At night, wash your face really well with a gentle cleanser, making sure to exfoliate at least 3 times a week to unclog pores and remove dead skin cells. Follow with either a mattifying or PH balancing toner, one that won't strip the skin of it's natural oils. Over stripping the skin will only cause your glands to go into oil producing hyperdrive, making your skin even more oily, as @@Reija said. Follow with an oil-free moisturizer to replace any lost hydration.

2. In the morning, wash face with water only, and then instead of a cleanser, use a cotton pad soaked in a 3-in-1 micellar water/cleanser/toner and run over the face. This will remove any residual bacteria from your pillow that may have gotten on your face while you slept, or any oil built up throughout the night. There is nothing you are doing during the 8 hrs you're asleep that should warrant you scrubbing the crap out of your skin with a cleanser all over again after you just did it the night before lol. During the day, you wear makeup, you touch your face, you come into contact with food, oils, pollution, dirt, wind, etc. What are you doing at night? None of that. Trust me! This is what we do in Europe. I spent half my life there and the 3-in-1 is all you need. Over stripping your skin is over rated. Squeaky clean isn't always a good thing! Be gentle to your skin and it will love you back lol. Follow with an oil-free moisturizer with an SPF and begin your makeup routine for the day.

Disclaimer: This does not go into serums, eye creams, face masks, etc. This is a very basic skin care routine for oily skin,

Makeup for oily skin:

1. Begin with a mattifying primer. There are a few drugstore ones out there, but many more high end ones that are good. I personally don't like silicone based primers, bc they tend to clog your pores, but as long as you are cleansing really well each night and exfoliating on a regular basis, you should be fine. Silicone based primers, like the Smashbox Foundation Primer, give you a very smooth, velvety feel to the skin, but make a lot of people break out. They do help with keeping the shine at bay, though. I really like a non-silicone version, like the Laura Geller Spackle Under Makeup Mattifying Primer, or the Murad Oil Control Mattifier, which also has SPF 15, which is nice. Those are non-comedogenic and won't clog your pores and I think they work really well. They feel lighter on the skin to me.

2. Go with a foundation to match your primer. If you do choose to wear a liquid foundation, choose a silicone based foundation with your silicone primer, or a cream based foundation with your cream based primer, etc. Personally, I like using a full coverage loose powder foundation on clients with oily skin, bc the loose powder soaks up the most excess oil. I really love Tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Airbrush Foundation. It really does give you a flawless, airbrushed look to the skin, and as long as you don't use too much, and are blending it out well, it's not going to cake on you. I think women shy away from using powder foundations bc they use too much and apply it with sponges, when they really should try using a buffing brush. The Buffing Brush from Morphe Brushes, the M439, I believe, is around $14 and is one of my favorites. This powder has a really long wear too, so there is very little need for touch-ups.

3. If you do need to touch up throughout the day, I would suggest using something that won't wipe away any product from your face, but won't add much either, like the Mally Poreless Face Defender, which is a clear balm that simply mattifies your skin without messing up any color placement. Genius!

4. Blotting papers are always a good thing to have on hand, just remember to always blot, never wipe, or you'll displace the makeup on your face and wipe it away, causing it to break down and remove color.

5. Just as a rule, I always put all my liquids on the face, and then set them with powders. When I try to put liquids on top of powders, it will start to get cakey. Others may have had different experiences, but that has been mine.

6. Always end your routine with a good setting spray. I like Urban Decay's All Nighter or De-Slick.

I hope some of these tips help you@@Sarah Potter!!! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:
I wash my face and ten minutes later, you can see your thumb print on my forehead

I would recommend you to use “Coconut Oil”. It will solve all the oily skin problems. When you regularly use it your makeup will look great and you don’t feel sticky at all.

Welcome to MUT! Have you tried skin care oils? I know it sounds weird to use oils on an oily skin but it helps adding moisturize to the skin which in turn helps with the oiliness. If the skin gets too dry it will cause it to be even more oily. A heavier moisturizer might help too. Clinique makeup is good for oily skin. I used to use it when my skin was more oily.
You are right. Clinique makeup is good for oily skin.

I can agree on that! I was pretty sceptical about how to use oils to overcome oilness but when I tried I realized how beneficial it is! I recommend it!

[SIZE=12pt]Sometimes your eyelid becomes so oily due to the excess production of oil in the skin. But this issue can be fixed with some natural remedies or you there are some makeup tips you can follow. Some makeup tips will also help you hide oily eyelids if you seen uncomfortable to go out with such oily eyelids. To know what the makeup tips are that can be applied to the oily eyelids, you can go through the below link:[/SIZE]

(link removed)

What are some recommendations on foundations for really oily skin? Now, when I say I have oily skin, I don't mean shiny. I mean I wash my face and ten minutes later, you can see your thumb print on my forehead. I've tried astringent, oil free makeups, even some homemade "remedies". Nothing has worked. My makeup always looks and feels really sticky, even when I'm not wearing a lot. It's embarrassing and annoying. Any opinions, besides going to a dermatologist? 

Sarah Potter, on 11 Oct 2016 - 02:21 AM, said:

@@Sarah Potter

I also have very oily skin so I am struggling with the same problem :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I agree that Clinique makeup is good for oily skin, but it is also important what kind of face moisturiser you are using. For example, I think for your skin type it is best that you use some kind of cooling cream, such as Ayurda Ayurvedic Skincare Magic Touch For Oily Skin. As for the foundation, my friend (professional makeup artist) says that, besides Clinique, Napoleon Perdis and Bare Minerals are the best picks.

I was wondering is there any good DIY face mask for this skin type? I recently wrote this guest post, so I am not sure whether or not to experiment with DIY skincare :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
(link removed)

For extremely oily skin I don't recommend any heavy foundations, just some light coverage foundations or BB/CC/DD creams. Your skin will be thankful! You can use concelears for problematic spots, but not on the whole face.

For extremely oily skin I don't recommend any heavy foundations, just some light coverage foundations or BB/CC/DD creams. Your skin will be thankful! You can use concelears for problematic spots, but not on the whole face.
But what about the skin with rosacea? It think in this case you need to put much heavier foundation in order to cover well.

Back