What am I doing wrong with my foundation

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I can never get my foundation to look nice, it always looks bumpy/cakey.

My skin is normal/oily but mostly normal it's quite smooth with the odd breakout but however or whatever I do it always looks bad, I have tried every application tool from drugstore brushes to high end ones and beauty blenders, same for primers/setting sprays/powders and foundations. I get colour matched with my foundations and moisturise and and wash/exfoliate regularly.

What am I doing wrong!

Thanks in advance for any tips

Hi! Welcome to MUT! Have you tried applying the foundation directly without primers? The primers and the foundations you have tried might not be a match. Silicone based primers don't work with water based foundations and vice versa. The same with moisturizers. If your moisturizer is silicone based and the foundation is water based, the foundation will slide right off when you try to apply it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't had a problem with the foundation coming off it just doesn't look good I've tried different foundations with different primer/moisturiser and without it just won't work.

Haven't had a problem with the foundation coming off it just doesn't look good I've tried different foundations with different primer/moisturiser and without it just won't work.
Finding the right moisturizer is the key. I've tried hundreds of moisturizers over the years and they all behave differently especially combined with a foundation. Without knowing your skin type it's hard to say exactly but for example if your skin looks dry once you put the foundation on, you need a heavier moisturizer and regular exfoliating. Exfoliation is the key for a smooth foundation application otherwise the foundation can cling to the skin's dead cells, highlighting problems. Have you tried BB creams? They are like tinted moisturizers but better and greater coverage. They are easy to apply with just fingers and usually look great giving your skin a nice even tone without much of a fuss.

Finding the right moisturizer is the key. I've tried hundreds of moisturizers over the years and they all behave differently especially combined with a foundation. Without knowing your skin type it's hard to say exactly but for example if your skin looks dry once you put the foundation on, you need a heavier moisturizer and regular exfoliating. Exfoliation is the key for a smooth foundation application otherwise the foundation can cling to the skin's dead cells, highlighting problems. Have you tried BB creams? They are like tinted moisturizers but better and greater coverage. They are easy to apply with just fingers and usually look great giving your skin a nice even tone without much of a fuss.

I also have a hard time getting foundation to look nice on me! I generally just use a tinted moisturiser now, as I have bought some expensive foundation brands and they end up at the back of a drawer since I can't get them to look smooth and nice on my skin :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Try to take out a small pump and apply it to the back of your hand. Blend it on your hand just a little bit to distribute the product.Distribute the product into the face and blend it with a brush or a sponge. I always start on the areas where I need the most coverage.[SIZE=11pt]my trick is to never apply the product directly into the face. This way gives you more control of how much product you are putting on and with these steps your skin will be evened out without looking cakey[/SIZE]

I can never get my foundation to look nice, it always looks bumpy/cakey.

My skin is normal/oily but mostly normal it's quite smooth with the odd breakout but however or whatever I do it always looks bad, I have tried every application tool from drugstore brushes to high end ones and beauty blenders, same for primers/setting sprays/powders and foundations. I get colour matched with my foundations and moisturise and and wash/exfoliate regularly.

What am I doing wrong!

Thanks in advance for any tips

It might be that you are too much foundation. Try to use it in moderation. Excess use of foundation makes your face look cakey.

hey, maybe you should try setting your face with setting spray in the middle of your makeup application, it makes your makeup less cakey and makes it look like skin.

Latest posts

Back