Buying a Puppy is not only depressing but very hard to do apparently....

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Barbie2

So I have been looking at puppies every friday specifically Golden Retrivers. I went to the exact same kennel to look at a dog I was interested in buying.The dog was gone when I went to see it the second time.The other dog online it said she was sold when I went on their website so I go back to the same kennel and they have my dog I was soo excited / happy she was not sold yet.I was planning on buying the dog yesterday had the money and everything planned out the dog was 850 dollars so I go after work right and I get out of work at around 11:30 in the afternoon. It takes about an hour to get to the kennel from my place I get there some old lady was looking at my dog and I heard her say I just bought her to the rest of the 5 people looking at dogs. I literally wanted to cry right then and there and for those of you who dont know I have a disease and my life is not always easy at times it can be very difficult.I wanted that dog so badly I researched the breed the temperment everything the dog would have been perfect for me and my lifestyle.The old lady literally stole a dog from a girl who had a disease like I wanted to take her license plate down and literally call her and say I had been looking at that dog for the past 4 weeks.The kennel was full of puppies too and I looked around and said Im gonna go because I literally was depressed after that I cried for a good at least two hours after this happened to me.Imagine trying to get a dog getting excited  and to have your entire day ruined like that terrible old lady and  terrible day for me.

I feel like people dont think about getting a dog they just buy one on a whim .I imagine she just bought it out of the blue because everytime I was at the kennel and I was there ALOT no one was there but me looking at this particular dog.I was soo dissapointed I had my heart set on that dog and literally as I was standing near the dog she came over to me she didnt even like the old lady buying her lol.I literally saw an old woman buy my dog the second I got at the kennel I was parked right near her and saw her put the dog in the car and everything talk about bad luck.

I have thought about getting a service dog because of my disease other people like me have one but its soo expensive and it takes yrs to get one and the training is like doing a full time job and I would have to take classes with the dog and I work full time right now .Now I have to start from scratch all over again and start looking for another Golden retriver male / female dog.It doesnt help that its like christmas puppy buying season and everyone wants a dog just for the hell of it.They dont even think about it.I'am really depressed about the entire dog situation .It also doesnt help since the kennel is not getting any more goldens in anytime soon.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear that happened to you and sorry to hear about your disease. I have an autoimmune disease myself that I've had for over 20 years and it's hard at times. Have you considered looking at rescue dogs to see if there is a Golden retriever rescue group near you? you can search them online. Or have you visited dog adoption events at Petco/Petsmart locations? The adoptions are usually cheaper and many times the dogs are great. They just have been abandoned for one reason or another. We have two rescue dogs because I didn't want to deal with raising a puppy at the time because our youngest child was still so young and I had my hands full with him. The rescue group was great and we visited the dogs and brought the dogs to our house. The adoptions were way cheaper than getting a dog from a breeder. The other dog has some problems from possible being abused but he is still a great dog. The other dog is such a sweet heart. The dogs didn't know each other prior to us adopting them but now they are so bonded that they spend their days together playing and just being with us.

I have been looking at breeders in my area and I'am interested in Golden Retriver puppies and a lot of breeders have waiting lists I was really trying to get the dog before Christmas time when things get crazy .A lot of rescues near me have older Golden Retrivers and thats why I cant really do a rescue or a shelter.Plus I have bought a dog from the SPCA before this and the dog was great but he died soon after .I had the shitzu poodle mix for maybe a little over two years and it died in my backyard we saw the dog take its last breath so that was very sad / depressing for me and because of that I could never get an older dog even if it was a few years old and trained Plus the shelter told me my dog was  a puppy and we took the dog to the vet and turned out it was an old dog  and I had no idea the dog was that old.I have been to Petsmart /Petco and I have asked about dogs and they never have them in my area they are not big on adoption there they do adopt cats however they had a ton of them.I will get a dog but its just frustrating having to go through all of this in the process especially during the holiday season which is big dog buying season for families to get a spur of the moment dog.

Last edited:
I hope you can find one before Christmas to bring you a lot of joy. Dogs are great but emotionally can be difficult too. We had to put our older dog down about 5 years ago because he was getting older and had cancer in his eye. It was so sad. We waited a few years before adopting a dog and then we ended up adopting another one so that they could have company when we are gone. We probably should have looked into Golden retrievers too but didn't. Maybe someday in the future when our other dogs are gone. My cousin used to breed Golden retrievers and they are the sweetest dogs on the planet.  

Yeah my dead dog has been gone at least 5 to 7 years now so its been a while I didnt just go out and buy a new one right after that because I like to do my research and the breed for me that would work would be a golden retriver .I always had mixes before this and some of them were not well suited for me.I like calm submissive dogs and this will be the 1st time I would of had a purebred dog in my whole life.

Last edited:
Update - I still dont have a puppy lol I look everyday after work online and check on the kennels.They have golden retriver mixes but the litter only has 4 puppies so chances are I wont be able to get one. I work all week and the odds are not in my favor....I'am going to try and call and see if they can reserve a puppy but who knows.Most puppies are going quickly because people are buying them for christmas as a spur of the moment gift not thinking oh this will last me my entire life and I will have to deal with barking / pee / poop on my floor / carpet nonstop and moms buying them for their kids dont think oh wait my kids never going to take care of this mess I will have to do it   :rotfl:

Fingers crossed it all works out .....I have my eye on a new puppy.

Last edited:
Puppies are a LOT of work. A LOT of work. They take a lot of time to train (and not just potty training) and they take a lot of patience and understanding.

I don't know how old you are or if you live on your own or not but Reija does have excellent advice. If having the time and energy to properly train a puppy will be too much for you, you may want to put the same effort you're putting toward finding a kennel-bred puppy and see if you can't find one that's a little older (maybe a year?) who has already been potty trained and will sleep through the night.

That being said, I understand wanting a specific breed with a specific temperament. I had never had a dog in my life or even been around them. So when my husband and I went searching, I needed something I knew I could deal with.

It sounds like you have more experience with dogs than I did, though. So maybe talk to the shelters around you, tell them what you're looking for and see if they can't help you find a dog that's a little older. That's my plan when we get another dog. A rescue that's between 6 months and year would be perfect. I didn't sleep a full night for nearly two months when our second puppy came home with us. I don't want to do that again. 

Yeah a lot of places I'am looking at they crate train the puppies before they sell them to homes.Other breeders I have seen train the dogs too that way when you buy them you dont have to worry about training or messes all the time they train them to sit , stay , not to be on the couch like no sitting on the couch. I dont know I guess these people had really nice furniture and stuff  and they know to go to the bathroom outside already.The thing I like about golden retrivers is they are calm dogs very mellow personality the puppies I was looking at a while ago they are all since bought they were all good dogs the personality was laid back not hyper and I never heard even one of the puppies bark once and I saw these puppies for two months.When you pet them they just stare up at you and sit down.They have a really good disposition .

Last edited:
II iPPlease don't ever buy from breeders!!!

I'm sure this person, has a dog now.  I'm very passionate, about this subject. So many beautiful souls, are put to sleep, simply bc we our nation, doesn't have enough homes , for them all.

Breeding is NOT necessary , Shelters there are perfectly fine, beautiful animals there. All kinds.

It's also great place, to volunteer. Even just to go cuddle. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have so much more, to say, but I won't, lol.. All I can say, is don't shop, go to shelters.

Remember give them each some time. Some have been locked, in cages, for a long time and need, a chance , to move around, wiggle, get used to you.

Animals are the greatest gifts, I personally can't wait to get breeders off the street, they're not needed.

Rescue Cats/ dogs are the best. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Animals are for life~

Back