HELP! at wits end with foundation

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi I am so frustrated i thought id see if there was any help out there for me.

Throughout the day my foundation is patchy and looks as if there are dry patches along with really oily patches on my face.

I use a lot of skin care products 

Night:clinique Liquid exfoliater, garnier misceller water, Estee lauder essence, Estee lauder serum, Estee eye serum.

Morning: was my face with an exfoliating sponge and witch oil free face wash, Clinique moisturizer, ginzing eye cream & Eucerin SPF 30 face moisturizer.

for my make up ive tried several different primers including becca oil controlling but this made it worse

Ive tried porefessional - no help

make up for ever - no help

mac prep and prime - no help

So i gave up with primers and just apply foundation directly onto my skin with a make up sponge then my nars creamy concelaer and then laura mercier translucent powder.

I have an idea that because my skin is quite oily that is the reason its patchy as the foundation slides around my face?

Any advice is appreciated!

Hi! Welcome to MUT! Foundations can really be a pain to get right. I'm wondering if you should add a moisturizer for night time. I used to have  combo to oily skin and once I started adding heavier moisturizers my skin changed for the better. I also cut back on skin care steps and that seemed to help. For night time I use Neutrogena makeup remover wipes and just apply essence/serum and moisturizer and some nights only moisturizer. I'm thinking your skin might be over dry which is causing the patchiness and the foundation not lasting as long. Also what foundation do you use? Foundations can be so different too and it's tricky to find one that works for your skin. I would also check the moisturizers you are using in the morning because it could be that they are incompatible with the foundations. I've found that certain moisturizers make the foundation separate and not last as long. If the moisturizer has silicone and the foundation doesn't, it can cause problems. Also do you use a toner beside the micellar water? Toners are important for balancing the PH of the skin after washing. Clinique has a good one that is for dry oily skin. I think it's #2 toner. I used to use it for years. I used the makeup remover cleanser from clinique too which is great and not over drying to the skin when my skin was more oily.  

It could also be the foundation you are using. I have foundations that apply flawlessly and then separate at the end of the day while I have others that don't budge. Kat Von D Lock It Foundation is my favorite foundation, perfect color, nice full coverage, applies beautifully to the skin without needing a lot of product. I actually mix it most of the time with my Becca Backlight Priming Filter to give it a dewy glow.

Latest posts

Back