Home Treatment for Frizzy Hair

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Frizzy hair is a common complaint for anyone with natural curls or waves. High humidity, dry hair and damage can all contribute to frizz. While expensive salon treatments can temporarily treat your frizzy locks, you can get better hair at home. Change your hair care routine to bring frizz under control without spending all your time drying or flat ironing your hair.

Choosing Products

Home treatments for frizzy hair include changes in your washing routine, different hair products and deep conditioning treatments. Choose products designed for dry or curly hair, selecting those with emollients to moisturize your hair, humectants to help your hair absorb moisture and protein to smooth the hair shaft. Naturally curly hair is quite often dry and can be more fragile than straight hair, according to NaturallyCurly.com. Typical hair care routines and products may make frizz worse, rather than better.

Wash Correctly

Many curly hair experts, including Lorraine Massey and Deborah Chiel, authors of the book "Curly Girl," recommend you reduce or eliminate your use of shampoo to keep your curls at their best. Replace your shampoo with a light, sulfate- and silicone-free conditioner. Work the conditioner gently into your scalp, rinse and follow with a heavier conditioner, if desired. Changing your washing routine may dramatically reduce frizz and make your curls more manageable.

Add Shine

Many frizz smoothing products on the market contain silicone. While silicone may smooth the shaft of the hair and enhance shine, it can weigh down your curls and be difficult to wash away. Consider replacing silicone-based shine enhancers with a small amount of coconut oil. Liquefy the oil between your palms and rub into the ends of your hair, suggests Candida-Cure-Recipes.com. As an alternative to coconut oil, try all natural shea butter.

Special Care

When you have more time available to care for your hair, take time for a homemade deep conditioning or protein treatment, recommends (link removed). Olive oil or coconut oil are ideal for dry hair, but you may want to try mayonnaise or an olive oil and egg treatment for damaged curls. Work the homemade conditioner into your hair and cover with a plastic shower cap. Leave in place for 15 minutes to one hour, then wash out over the sink or tub. Take time for a deeper treatment like this as often as once a week to reduce frizz.

Safe Styling

Changing your styling methods can also keep frizz at bay. Use a gentle, alcohol-free gel on your curls. Avoid rubbing the hair with a towel. Try gently piling your curls on top of your head and wrapping with a soft T-shirt rather than using a towel. Detangle gently with a wide-tooth comb or your fingers, then work a generous amount of gel through your hair. After you scrunch product through your hair, allow it to air dry, keeping your hands out of your hair to prevent frizz, suggests NaturallyCurly.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
My daughter is the one with shoulder length curly hair and I will send her the link to this page so she can read it for herself.

What has worked for her so far is

• not vigorously drying her hair with a towel, just patting it to remove excess water then
  • using Karmin Heat Protection & Shining Spray applied mainly to the ends & partway up the hair length then leaving her hair to air dry
  • she only combs through her hair when it is 100% dry using a wide tooth comb

<p>My daughter is the one with shoulder length curly hair and I will send her the link to this page so she can read it for herself.What has worked for her so far is

• not vigorously drying her hair with a towel, just patting it to remove excess water then
  • using Karmin Heat Protection & Shining Spray applied mainly to the ends & partway up the hair length then leaving her hair to air dry
  • she only combs through her hair when it is 100% dry using a wide tooth comb
Hi, I am a curly, and I would recommend not combing her hair when it's dry. Only comb when hair is wet and with a leave in conditioner in it before combing
I follow the no sulfate no silicone routine now for 8 years and it has changed my hair for the better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I am a curly, and I would recommend not combing her hair when it's dry. Only comb when hair is wet and with a leave in conditioner in it before combing

I follow the no sulfate no silicone routine now for 8 years and it has changed my hair for the better.
Thank you I've passed on your comment to my daughter, she also thanks you & wants me to tell you that she is combing her hair when wet after applying the Pro-naturals Moroccan argan oil (her leave in treatment), & then leaving it to air dry. She confirms the shampoo is sulfate free (also Pro-naturals) and her hair is defintely looking much better than it did a year ago.

Thank you I've passed on your comment to my daughter, she also thanks you & wants me to tell you that she is combing her hair when wet after applying the Pro-naturals Moroccan argan oil (her leave in treatment), & then leaving it to air dry. She confirms the shampoo is sulfate free (also Pro-naturals) and her hair is defintely looking much better than it did a year ago.
You are most welcome. Glad to hear that her hair is looking much better. She will find over time that it will be less frizzy and have more defined curls with the leave in conditioner. If she wants a little more hold she can add a silicone free gel after the leave in conditioner by just rubbing it on her hands with a little water and scrunching the curls with her hands. Most important with sulfate free shampoo is that you don't use anything with silicone in it as silicone leaves a film on hair over time and a sulfate free shampoo won't wash it out. Glad I could help.

You are most welcome. Glad to hear that her hair is looking much better. She will find over time that it will be less frizzy and have more defined curls with the leave in conditioner. If she wants a little more hold she can add a silicone free gel after the leave in conditioner by just rubbing it on her hands with a little water and scrunching the curls with her hands. Most important with sulfate free shampoo is that you don't use anything with silicone in it as silicone leaves a film on hair over time and a sulfate free shampoo won't wash it out. Glad I could help.
Have sent the above to daughter.  Both my daughter & granddaughter have curly hair but my husband & I have dead straight hair, genes must come from another generation, wish I had curly hair!

To have good hair one should have happy, healthy, stress-free lifestyle and healthy food. Every day exercise, food with a good amount of proteins, nutrients and vitamin, green leafy vegetables, fresh fruits, milk, curd, dates, and jaggery.no to tobacco or smoking and avoid fast food. If you are deficient in some vitamin you must correct them by taking vitamin supplements.

Latest posts

Back