Splotchy Makeup

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
I recently discovered when applying my makeup that one side of my face, my cheeks and neck, become blotchy immediately after applying my makeup. I apply a primer beforehand to try moisturize this area with no luck. It's not dry skin and it makes my makeup look awful then. I've tried multiple different foundations with the same response and different ways of blending (oval brush, stippling brush, beauty blender, hands etc.)
Any help on this would be much appreciated!!!
  :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  :wub:

Hi!

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with foundations. Primers can be really tricky and some primers work better than others. Some primer/foundation combos don't work well together. The key is to make sure you are not mixing a silicone based primer with a water based foundation. They need both to be water based or silicone based so that they work together. I love the Smashbox primer water because it's water based and most of my foundations are water based.

Hi,

I recently discovered when applying my makeup that one side of my face, my cheeks and neck, become blotchy immediately after applying my makeup. I apply a primer beforehand to try moisturize this area with no luck. It's not dry skin and it makes my makeup look awful then. I've tried multiple different foundations with the same response and different ways of blending (oval brush, stippling brush, beauty blender, hands etc.)

Any help on this would be much appreciated!!!  :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  :wub:
"Blotchy skin" is telling you that you skin is trying to balance itself out, but it's not getting a chance to. 

Okay, first thing... Why foundation on your neck??? 

For starters, the neck is highly mobile and hot, also the skin flexes the most there, thus foundation / powder will cake and crease and become blotchy (break down), because of the heat and constant movement, you're wasting product there.

Okay to the cheeks...

A couple of things might be happening here. could be that you have combination skin and that one side of your cheek is drier or oilier than the other one, uncommon, but definitely not unusual.

However, I am betting that your main culprit is your powder. You didn't mention using powders. Powders can create blotchy areas (oxidize) if you're using it on the wrong type of foundation for your skin type (pH balance).

Which brings me to...

How much time did you wait before you tried different foundation formulas? 

This is very crucial, if you're using the wrong foundation for your skin type, it will react to your moisturizer (assuming you are using the correct moisturizer for your skin type to begin with) and it will react to your skins' pH.

When you try different foundations, you need to wait at least seven days before you try another foundation so that your skin can adjust itself to the new formulation. If you don't wait, your skin will react, and that reaction will look like excess oil production to the different formulations being placed on it. The oil is trying to "push" out whatever is covering / absorbing itself into the pores, and this could happen all over your face or just in certain areas.

At first a little bit of oil production is normal as the face is balancing it's self out to the new product. Normally after two to three days your skin will normalize it's pH level. If you still find that your skin is still oily after seven days then you know that particular foundation type is wrong for you.

Wait for seven days with a clean face before you try another foundation and try the whole process again until you find the correct foundation. I am not going to lie to you, but this is a long an arduous process to find the correct formulation, but the end results will be worth it as your face will feel like silk.

Going for a skin care and make-up consultation at a good counter like Clinique, Lancome, or Estee Lauder will definitely help you in finding the correct formulas in this testing phase as they are required by company policy to follow up on their consultation clientele. Avoid Sephora as they try to sell you different brands by putting it on your face. 

Good luck! Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok..so on the sides of my face i have really dry skin..i hate the way it feels..i hate the way my makeup, no matter what i use, looks splotchy after a few hours. I've tried everything from oil of Olay to every kind of mask to get rid of it..nothing has worked..until now..FINALLY! 

Only a week into using the Made from Earth Rosehip Serum my skin is getting so soft..i can still feel abit of the dry skin but its less and less every day..i can't wait to see what it feels like in 2 weeks!

There really is no smell..the little i can smell is actually kinda pleasant and soothing. Ladies..just get it..stick with it..its worth it..i will be rebuying when I'm out..There is finally some hope.

Latest posts

Back