moldy makeup brushes?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My white brushes have black little dots over them and ive tried washing them but it doesn't help. I ask my friend and she said they were moldy.... but as I search the web I can't find anything about mold on makeup brushes. I have rarely used them but maybe its because I keep them in a closed tiny makeup bag?

My white brushes have black little dots over them and ive tried washing them but it doesn't help. I ask my friend and she said they were moldy.... but as I search the web I can't find anything about mold on makeup brushes. I have rarely used them but maybe its because I keep them in a closed tiny makeup bag?
sounds like it could be mold. I think it's best to air out brushes. I keep mine in cup(s) with the brushes facing up. It could be that some moisture has built up inside the bag and it has affected the brushes. Have you tried soaking them in rubbing alcohol and then washing them and drying them really good after?

sounds like it could be mold. I think it's best to air out brushes. I keep mine in cup(s) with the brushes facing up. It could be that some moisture has built up inside the bag and it has affected the brushes. Have you tried soaking them in rubbing alcohol and then washing them and drying them really good after?
It's best to completely dry your brushes laying them flat as opposed to placing them upright. IF you're washing your brushes with a soap and water solution, as any water in the bottom of the bristles will cause the hairs/fibres/bristles to expand and will eventually cause the ferrule to crack and/or separate it from the handle, or worse, the entire brush head will come off the ferrule.

However, very slightly damp bristles (washed with a brush cleaner and / or 75%) are perfectly fine to dry upright. Just to add, 99% doesn't kill mould, but 75% will kill it. 

Also don't air dry your brushes in a humid environment like a bathroom. Air dry them in well-lit, room temperature room. As mould loves wet and dark places to flourish. 

There's a little crack on the barrel of my brushes? How do i get rid of them? I hope I don't have to buy new ones. Should I be concerned? 

Back