Foundation questions

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So whenever I try to use foundation (whether it's powder or liquid) it always seems to loook terrible from close up. From about two feet away my foundation looks lovely, but from any closer I feel like it excentuates my pores and makes my skin look dry. Does this happen to anyone else? Does foundation always look crappy from close up? Or is there a way to fix it? Any help would be appreciated.

I would recommend trying out a different foundation. I use Kat Von D Lock-It Foundation and even up close I think my skin looks good when I use it. I would also play around with how you apply your foundation, I use my fingers and then blend it in with a makeup sponge, the beautyblender specifically. Brushes are a great way to apply foundation and get a nice, even application too.

It might be that your moisturizer doesn't go well with the foundation. Sometimes it's hard to find the right combo. Regular exfoliating and using a good moisturizer are the key to smooth makeup. As mentioned above, fingers or beautyblender work great. Brushes are good too but take a little bit more work and practice.

So whenever I try to use foundation (whether it's powder or liquid) it always seems to loook terrible from close up. From about two feet away my foundation looks lovely, but from any closer I feel like it excentuates my pores and makes my skin look dry. Does this happen to anyone else? Does foundation always look crappy from close up? Or is there a way to fix it? Any help would be appreciated.

i have some question about the best foundation which suits on my face. Because my skin is so oily, that's a reason i am not using any type of foundation. Please suggest me which can i apply on my oily face.

i have some question about the best foundation which suits on my face. Because my skin is so oily, that's a reason i am not using any type of foundation. Please suggest me which can i apply on my oily face.
I would try the Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Flawless Fluide. It performs well on oily skin and the people I have recommended this to say they've noticed less acne since switching. If you are looking for a cheaper option I would try the Neutrogena Shine Control Liquid Makeup. Both of these foundations contain rice which can help to control oil. 

Sounds like you need to try a new foundation and make sure you use a good primer. I use Lady Godiva Beauty Premiere liquid to powder foundation. My make up is always flawless. The mineral-enriched fluid foundation, with broad spectrum SPF 15 sun protection, goes on silky smooth and sets to a soft, powder finish. Perfects complexion and protects against damage. I love the coverage and the matte finish. Premiere is hypoallergenic, talc-free, wax-free, dye-free, fragrance-free, and paraben-free. It is also reasonably priced. Never skimp when it come to foundation. You want a good quality foundation and this is the best I have ever used. You can check it out at *affiliate links not allowed unless in signature please refer to Terms of Service* Have a great day and good luck!! If you have any questions please just ask. Thanks,

Sherry

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should try using a blurring primer such as the porefessional from Benefit? You might also be applying too much foundation or powder which makes it look cakey - or it could just be the foundation you're using doesn't work well for you. I always use more expensive foundations, my favourite being Too Faced Born This Way. 

Oily skin should always moisturise so don't forget that! It balances out your sebum levels. Don't use mattifying products all the time or else it'll make it you even more oily. Like I said above I really love my Too Faced Born This Way even with my oily skin.

It also depends on your skin. There not alwasy the fault of the foundation. If your pores are large, but also you feel your face dry, you clearly need to improve your skincare. just try to exfoliate your skin twice a week, use a hydrating face cream before applying a foundation and after that a pore minimizing base(porefessional from benefit or Pores no more from Dr. Brandt) just on that area, not on the entire face. Good Luck

It depends on everybody's skin type! And the thread creator's problems can come from so many things like your skin being too dry, an incorrect primer, an incorrect way of applying the foundation onto your skin, using the wrong kind of foundation, or EVEN putting the wrong kind of stuff ON TOP of your foundation, OR putting the stuff on top of it IN A WRONG WAY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrMdnXe0GOI

I actually made a video on foundation for like back-to-school kind of theme / time of year, but it's good for anyone! If you can be bothered watching it, go ahead, it is loaded with some good skin care + foundation knowledge and tips.

BUT...

If your skin is dry, you have to use a good moisturizing cream that you know works for you. apply it AT LEAST 10 minutes before you do your foundation. it can be even 2 hours before (maybe not 5 hours, re-apply it then, but it's not so strict). Simply make sure your skin without any foundation on it is nice and healthy, because putting any extra chemicals in form of foundation and other makeup can only make it worse if done poorly.

I personally prefer to apply my foundation with a beauty sponge, over a brush, because brush bristles tend to irritate a lot of sensitive skin types. If your skin is REALLY dry and it has dry patches, the bristles will just scrape them even more, creating dead skin excess. (make sure to exfoliate!). fingers in my opinion are a no-no (I talk about this in more depth in the video), so if you are looking to improve anything at all about your foundation game, try getting a good foundation brush or preferably a beauty sponge.

Once you've applied and blended your foundation, pay attention to what you're doing afterwards as well, as that will have a big effect on this too! If you are putting concealer on, or powders (setting, contouring, bronzer) make sure you are tapping everything in, rather than smearing it around as that will move the cream foundation around! the best way to lock your foundation in is to use a translucent SETTING (not finishing or HD) powder and tap that into your skin with a brush, LIGHTLY whisking away any excess after a minute or two.

this is probably a lot of info, but for any makeup mistakes it's very much a trial & error kind of discovery situation. be extra mindful of what you're doing and HOW, take good care of your skin, and you should see visible effects within weeks, if not days (or immediately, if it's down to applying technique).

I don't want to write anymore as a lot of text tends to scare some people away haha but if you want to, contact me for any more questions and i will be happy to help, or simply respond further here :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> and if you're up for about 30 minutes worth of YouTube, go to my video for A LOT of good foundation knowledge!

Try a pore minimizing primer around your problem areas and maybe a matte finish foundation they won’t executate the texture on your skin . Try Mabaline fit me or urban decay all nighter foundation and for a primer try benefit pore minimizing . Hope that helps .

Well, in that case, as fellow community members said, pore minimizing primer does help to a greater extent. And, yes the way you apply foundation always do the tricks. Try to blend it in patting through fingers and then apply loose powder using a brush to fix everything for long.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back