New Project - $20 a Day

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not exactly a no buy, but a challenge. To give up online shopping  :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> and to operate on a cash basis. To withdraw seven twenty dollar bills each week ($20 per day) from the ATM to cover groceries, eating out, cosmetics, and entertainment. To leave all other money in bank to cover bills. I wonder if I can make this a fun adventure, and if this will actually allow me to enjoy things more?? This is kind of a necessity for me now, but I am trying to make it a creative endeavor. 

So with this plan I CAN buy beauty products, but not online, as I will be operating on cash, and they will have to be in budget.

Not only do I have debt, but I have had my card hacked recently from online shopping. That was a truly awful experience. 

I will try, but I am not a frugal person at all. No, not at all!!!  :blush2:

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this challenge/project @@EdithS2! Sorry to hear you had your card hacked. I've cut back on my purchases as well out of necessity recently and in the beginning I was very frustrated and mad about it but after a while I didn't even feel it and now I'm happy to put things on my wish list online instead of buying things. The problem with online shopping is that it's so easy to just put the number in and not really think about it until you get the bill. I did buy a new body cream during the Sephora triple points event but it was out of a necessity. I wanted two lipsticks as well but knew I couldn't buy them so I happily put them on my wish list. Please keep us posted on your project! Rooting you on!!! 

Online shopping gets me all the time, I do it whenever I'm bored which is often at night or during work lol. Last night ordered my son a $25 build a bear.. didn't need it and Christmas is not for another 4 months lol. I've cut way back on my beauty purchases though since I have a giant stockpile to go through. $20 is not much for all of that but it sounds like a fun plan. 

Amazing how I have come to live the digital lifestyle so much! I tried to give it up, but then I wanted to get a book I remembered having back in the 1980's, so I got a used copy on Amazon for a few dollars - one of my favorite things is buying vintage books like this. And then I wanted to watch a film so I needed to rent it from Amazon. And how to live without beauty subs - they are such a good deal compared to buying things at the store. 

Even when I went to research the cash diet, I went on You Tube and there were all these videos about using a certain type of wallet to organize one's cash. I did not know this was a thing. There are all sorts of lovely handmade cash diet wallets and accessories on Etsy. Soon I was thinking I want to order one! This just made me discouraged as my cash diet research just reminded me of how I like Etsy and online shopping so much. 

I did take cash out for my food budget and that seems helpful. So much easier to keep track of. So I will keep that up - But I did sign up for Birchbox again. Seems like I will be using a cash diet for food but I will still need to be digital with my beauty and entertainment. 

one of my favorite things is buying vintage books
I love doing this too! Sometimes I'll find a book I want to read and will order it used through Amazon. Many times it's cheaper than kindle books. I do love my kindle though too.  I do the subs too but trying to scale back although I did sign up again for Julep. Cash diet sounds like such an interesting concept.

Latest posts

Back