Starting again on a project ....

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found myself once again in the mood for a project pan/no buy. I perused the latest project pan videos on You Tube. There are so many wonderful projects going on now - they have gotten so creative. There are projects based on holidays, specific movies, music. I thought of doing a finish 13 by Halloween project. But I have so much trouble picking out products for these specific types of projects. I just have trouble selecting what to use, my choice never seems good enough, as I am too perfectionist. I just second guess and it's too overwhelming to decide what to use.

I decided to go with a program that worked for me in the past - first using all foil samples and sheet masques, anything single use; after all those are used up, use all deluxe samples (from all those sub boxes!); then finally use full size items after all samples are gone. By categorizing based on size of products, I do not have to make so many decisions, and by starting with foil packs and going up in size, I start off with things that are quick and easy to use and build momentum quickly at the beginning. 

I live in Florida and experienced the Irma storm -- the week before, trying to stock up on groceries and gas, when everything was running out and there were huge crowds everywhere, worrying about my house and things and job being gone. Last weekend, hearing the wind, missing my favorite foods and beverages, missing days of work, no power, taking a shower with a flashlight. I was so fortunate and had no damage to my house, only missed two days of work and was able to make up one, only was without power two days.

The enjoyment I felt when I got back to work (I had been so terribly bored), got to go out to eat again, and got power back in my house was amazing. It's a great feeling I would like to hang on to, this feeling of gratitude. In this spirit I hope my new project will be successful. I had a lower paycheck this week due to missed work (though I am so lucky I had enough for bills and food) so can't shop right now, and my credit is maxed out now. So can't shop at the moment anyway. 

so happy to hear things are getting back to normal for you after having to experience all that and you are ok. Your project sounds amazing! Wishing it goes well for you!!

I have packed away my full and deluxe size products, not to be looked at until I finish all my foil samples. Of course, I had to keep back a few basic full size items that I need to use along with foils, such as face cleanser and shampoo. I am hoping I will finish all my foils and then open my deluxe sample box and I'll have forgotten what I have, things will seem new to me and it will be like a new haul for me. 

I have begun by using a few foil samples from l'Occitane-eye cream, face cream, shampoo. I realized I have 15 masques [including sheet masques, pore strip, sachet masques like Montagne Jeunesse, eye masques] to use. I have s Glossybox full of Mary Kay samples. I was overwhelmed with those until I organized them. I have a plethora of eye shadow samples on little cards. They are fun to go through; they remind me of paint samples. I alphabetized them from Azure to Vintage Gold, and in doing so I reflected that my obsessive nature, which gets me into trouble with my beauty shopping, makes me a good project panner when I set my mind to it. 

Other things to use are foils from the Sisley Beauty Subscription that I had earlier this year, and the Tatcha 7 day sample set I started and never finished, as well as many foils from Yves Rocher purchases. There's much fun to be had.

Also the goal is to pay off a debt during this time. Just as I start with my smallest beauty products, I begin with my smallest debt. 

It's been a week now and I'm doing well on my project. I made an extra payment on my smallest debt, and I used the following samples this week:

1. Packet of l'Occitane Divine Cream

2., 3. Two packets of l'Occitane Divine Eyes

4. One packet of l'Occitane Repairing Shampoo

5. One card Mary Kay Mineral Eye Color Azure

6., 7. Two cards Mary Kay Mineral Eye Color Blue Metal

I inadvertently cheated in using the eye shadow cards. They said "One Application" on them so I rubbed off one entire side of the square for the left eye and one side of the square for the right with a sponge applicator. Then I thought I was using too much and realized I need to take only a tiny bit from the card for one application, and these cards are probably enough for a week of use each. I'm working on a third Blue Metal card now. 

The l'Occitane samples have been nice. I am working on finishing a l'Occitane Divine Oil packet now. It was a tiny packet, but I emptied it into a little pot, and it's lasting quite a while. I only use it at night.

This week, I am looking forward to making another extra debt payment, and to using some Mary Kay skin care packets. I have mostly makeup cards, but I also have a few skin care packets as well. I have a few packets of cleanser, moisturizer, eye cream, microdermabrasion treatment, and Satin Hands set. I'm looking forward to using those.

I feel happy on my project. It has given me peace of mind. It's relaxing and therapeutic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great job on your project! I've gotten to the point that I don't have any foils. I do have some sheet masks that I am slowly working through. I have a few bath bombs too, but my daughter lost the plug to my bath tub (I know...how does one do that?) so I've been unable to take baths lately. That's all of my one-time use products. I'm also using my deluxe size products now, but I have a LOT to go through. 

Sounds like the project is going great. You've already used 7 products in one week, that's awesome! I'm also to the point where I have no foil packs, but I do have tons of sample size and deluxe sample size products. In particular, I have several masks and skin care products. I like the 13 by Halloween project idea, I think I may join you! I need to take a look at what I'd try to use up and then make a decision. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

How lovely and inspiring to hear from you ladies! I'm looking forward to the time when I will be through my foils and can work on my deluxe samples. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back