January 2018 No Buy, Low Buy, Project Pan

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Happy New Year! 

It just passed midnight in my time zone, so I am officially on No Buy!

As soon as midnight struck, I made an online debt payment to my smallest debt. It's a debt of only $27.32. I paid $13.66 tonight, and I plan to pay the remaining $13.66 Friday. It seems really small, but it's something I would usually just let go, pile up, take a few months to pay off, just doing the minimum, while getting all the latest beauty boxes with my extra funds instead. I have a bad habit of letting debts pile up. 

I am going to work on my foil samples to begin the panning process. I have seven face cream samples, one eye cream sample, one throat cream, two foundations, four body lotions and five conditioners all in little sachet packs. I am starting with easy goals to give myself early momentum. I have a bad habit of letting beauty products pile up. 

I'm glad No Buy is here, and I think I will let go of a lot of stress and gain a lot more enjoyment out of life while on it. 

Best of luck to everybody in the New Year! 

Happy New Year! I’m officially on no buy too! Thanks so much for the inspiration! I really need it! I’m going to focus on using my foils and other samples. I have the first batch in an old Birchbox container ready to be used. This time I really want to stick to this. I have a bad habit of starting a no buy and not sticking to it. I will do it this time because I want to save the money and I really need to use up my stash. Looking forward to 2018!

Tuesday, January 2

Almost 6 am, and time for a long hard work week; holidays over.

I was dreading this morning, but I feel happy! Yesterday instead of shopping online, I found some great films to watch. I discovered a new tea at the grocery store to bring to work (a canned iced tea that is traditional Japanese Green Tea - in the sushi department). I love iced tea. (Food does not count as part of the No Buy.)

I'm looking forward to using some beautiful samples this morning, which I would otherwise be hoarding. I have a grapefruit shower gel and some nice face cream. I love grapefruit scents. I'm excited for Friday, when I will pay off that first little debt and get it out of my life. It's going to be a great feeling. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I am happy and doing well on my No Buy! 

• I have paid of my smallest debt, which was $27.32. I had one payment of $13.66 due in March, and one payment of $13.66 due in April, but I've paid them off already, and that debt is gone! It's a great feeling to have that done, even though it's little.
  • I've been enjoying using up products. It is cozy to use up lotions and creams on cold January days. In general, I find the organizing activities that go with this project very relaxing. I'm using my foil samples, cutting them in half or quarters to scrape the last drops of product out, then taping them back into one piece with Scotch tape when they are empty, so they will be neat and easy to keep track of in my empties bag. I'm looking forward to posting them in the official used it up thread at the end of the month. 
Plans for the rest of the month:

• My next debt is $42.93. I have three payments of $14.31, due February, March, and April, but I am planning to make the payments in the remaining three Fridays of this month.
  • I am going to have extra time for myself this coming week, so I'm going to try to add more products to my routine and use more. I'm looking forward to it. 

Great progress EdithS2! You are such an inspiration! Thank you for sharing this and helping others to be inspired and do the same. I've noticed that this time being on no buy myself doesn't feel disappointing. I'm happy to do it an don't feel as frustrated when I see something I might want to buy but can't. I still like to window shop online but just looking at the things seems to be enough. I want to really organize everything I have. I have the samples and things I want to use all organized but I want to go through all my actual makeup products that seem to be everywhere.

Almost halfway through January, and I'm doing really well. I had so much money left at the end of this week, I was able to pay off my second debt, in the amount of $42.93. That amounts to $70.25 total extra debt payoff for the No Buy so far. Next goal is to pay my next largest debt of $76.98; I plan to pay $25.66 on each of the next three Fridays, and have it gone by the end of January. 

I'm making good progress on my Birchbox full of foil samples. Each one has a couple of uses. I'm enjoying using them up. I feel more relaxed. I'm able to watch lots of films and TV programs, which I was not able to concentrate on before I began the No Buy. I just relax in my room before and after work and enjoy my samples while watching films on my computer. I cancelled Netflix for the No Buy but have a few weeks to go before my last month ends, so I'm watching all I can. 

Future plans: I thought I might continue this No Buy every month until I feel caught up with paying off debts and using up products, then continue here forever with a Low Buy Maintenance Plan. The Low Buy Maintenance Plan would consist of me buying replacements only, plus subscribing to one or two beauty boxes. Looking forward to that.

I love this @@EdithS2! Great progress for you!!You are such an inspiration. I've been enjoying using my samples too. I had 3 used up this week and it feels great. Love reading about your progress. 

I did great on my no buy until Monday when I took my daughter to Ulta for her birthday. There, I spent $15 on unallowed purchases. I had the Nyx Milk pencil on my list for ages and saw it in store and picked up two other colors I didn't need. I also grabbed a setting spray, but since I'm almost out, that was allowed.

Back on the wagon again! My rules are that I can still have my subs (I have Julep (although, I skip most months), Fortune Cookie Soap Co, and Rickys NYC), and I can purchase an item when I am using the last one in my inventory.

I'm still doing ok with my no buy. I've had trouble deciding what subs to let go though. I think I'll just stick with Petit Vuor and Birchbox. I cancelled Macys which I should have done long time ago. I also cancelled Sephora. I need to cancel IPSY still and I have to think what else. I can't seem to keep track of the subs very well.

I don't have subs now, but later on, I am going to let myself have Birchbox again, and maybe Sisley. Can't wait. That will be allowed after I've used up more samples. It's so hard to narrow down sub boxes, but I foresee myself needing skin and hair samples more than makeup samples in future. 

I paid off my debt number three of $76.98! That makes $147.23 of extra debt payment so far. Next debt to work on is $77.51. 

There is still some time in the month - one more payday and two more Sundays. Since New Year's Eve, Sunday has become my day to use a masque. Still time to get a little but done before February. I can pay maybe $25 or so on my next debt before February, and maybe finish a few more little items. I am almost to the end of a really large cleanser I've had for years; I'm working on a clay masque in a sachet, a conditioner packet, some skin care packets. Hope to finish the month well so I can start anew in February and do even more. Thanks so much for your support, @@Reija and @@jesemiaud

Amazing progress @Edith2! I love your debt pay off plan! Thanks so much for sharing your progress here and helping others! You are such an inspiration. Thanks again!

I'm keeping Birchbox only because of the points and my teenager likes a hair product from there which I can order at a discount with the points. I like to order hair care from there as well because of the points and get it cheaper that way. I'm also cancelling Box of Style. I really like the box because it does contain items that I woulddn't normally buy and I'm in such a different place than Rachel Zoe so it's fun to get a glimpse of her lifestyle and have it be a total splurge, luxury item. But I have to let it go because of the price and truly many of the items in the box don't fit my lifestyle because it's so far from hers. Like this last box, I didn't really use the items because I didn't have any lavish parties to go to over the Holidays. So not my lifestyle. lol 

thanks EdithS2 for all the inspiration. i’m trying to de-clutter and using up my sample stash is a start. i think i am going to make a birchbox of ones to use first and have an initial goal

@@mandys nice to see you here. I am getting my plans ready for February. I need to start using my deluxe/travel samples next. I used almost all my foils, except for hair conditioners. I have baby fine hair and they take me forever to use. 

I am so grateful for support I have received here. It has helped me, and I have done well in No Buy January. I did not spend money on anything except bills, food, gas, and essentials, and I was able to save a final total of $164.86 extra money to pay off debts.

I used up all of my skin care foil samples except for one eye cream, all of my body lotion foil samples, my foundation foil samples, and some other things. I learned some new things about what products I want and need in future (see The Official Used It Up Thread for all of the details). 

I feel happier, more at peace, and feel I am doing something to take control of and improve my life. I was able to relax more this month, and watched tons of films and TV shows, something I could not focus on when I was shopping all the time. 

I am very pleased with how this month has gone, and I am preparing to commit to a great February No Buy. Will start a new thread soon with goals!  :luv:   :king:

Latest posts

Back