Where to start learning

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am new to the makeup skill and I'm not sure where I should start learning. Should I start learning foundation and contour first? There is so much to learn and so little time!

I would just start with some mascara and eye shadow. Play with different eye shadows and see what you like best. Use a lighter shade on the whole lid and darker in the crease. If you want to try foundation contouring, you can start with a tinted moisturizer and set it with powder and then contouring on top. With contouring blending is very important. Instead of contouring you can just do a little powder blush or creme blush before applying the powder. A little lipstick or lipgloss and you are good to go.

Foundation, mascara, brow pencil, black eyeliner, blush, eye-shadow, lipstick/lipgloss and makeup remover are the basic items to start with. 

You can watch makeup tutorials on Youtube and start mastering the techniques of these. 

You can go for a beauty blender instead of the brush as it's easy to use and gives a more natural finish than the brushes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a beauty guide for Limelight. We have a collection called Simply Pretty. I think it is an awesome collection for first time makeup users..

You can view it on my website at www.limelightbyalcone.com/whitneywlunsford 

Limelight_cosmetics_collection_simply pretty_small_V2.jpg

@Sadie'sSuppliesMakeupHey Sadie! When I first started wearing makeup, I started with eyeshadow, a light B&B cream, a light powder, and some tinted lipglosses. I liked Clinique stuff because they felt light on my skin and natural. I know that sometimes, when you first start out, you can feel kindof "Clown-y" and not like yourself when you wear makeup. That's why I suggest easing into it and going natural at first. You want to accentuate your natural beauty, not cover it all up. :)  That's better than trying to put a lot on all at once, leaving the house, and feeling all awkward and weird. Plus, some techniques take a bit of time to learn. Like eyeliner. That came later for me. It was so tricky! My trick when I apply eyeliner is setting down both of my elbows on the table while I do it, and I'm really close to the mirror when I do. I still watch videos every now and again to get new eyeshadow ideas. Now, my daily routine is vitamin C serum primer, tinted bb cream, powder, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, a little eyebrow fill in, and a little bronzer. It takes me about 10 minutes. For special occasions, I'd do more. 

My number 1 advice is whatever you do or start with, make sure you feel completely comfortable in it, so your personality can still shine through! 

Latest posts

Back