Advice needed with foundation!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,  I have very dry skin and have been trying to find a foundation that doesnt make my skin flake up and dry up. However all the foundations that I tried(for dry skin- drugstore and high end) still make my skin flaky. I have attached a photo (hopefully you will be able to see it properly) of how my face looks. Epsecially around my nose and mouth. I apply moisturiser, primer and then foundation and I seal it with powder or setting spray. Does anyone know how I can stop this happening? 

Thanks 

20180307_152351.jpg

I'll just let you know what works for me in this case and it's up to you to decide..... May be you'll just try.....

1. Hydratation is the most important: 2 litters of water a day. On top of that for every cup of coffee consumed drink a cup of water.

2. Skin prep. Exfoliate. Depending on your skin of course.... But I go at least 1 time a week with a scrub. Also once a week I'll go for a cleansing mask. Usually it's clay of charcoal.... can be a peel-off mask.

3. Choose foundation you like. From higher end my fav would be Shameless by Mark Jacobs (the most beautiful one! better than my Dior Nude - same price point) The drugstore I like now is Wet'n'Wild Photo Finish!!! Soooo good! 

4. Oil!!! If you'll mix 1 drop of face oil (Kiehl's Daily Reviving Concentrate - the one I use right now, but you can find it in a lot of brands e.g. Physitian's Formula, Urban decay, Tart) into foundation (put some on the tray or small plate and mix together)

5. At the end of makeup use setting spray, moisturizing spray .... of your choice......

These are the steps working for me..... Hope it was helpful. Let me know! Good Luck!!

Thank you I will definietly try it. I do drink loads of water, but I don't exfoliate so maybe that's where I'm going wrong. Thank you for your advice  

Hey!

I have drier skin too and I had the same problem with flaking (especially when I travel).

The product that will work best for you is the Clinique Moisture Surge moisturizer and spray. They are life savers.

Also look into Sunday Riley's Good Genes treatment (very good for dry skin). You should try it with the oil, link is here

For primer I think the Laura Mercier primer will work well. Link to Sephora here 

Also for nighttime try the Laneige Water Sleeping Mask, link here

I use a cushion type foundation links here and here

I hope those help! You should also check out my blog, I have a lot of product reviews and 99% of my products are based for dry skin: https://www.upsnaapicks.com/  

I am a beauty guide for Limelight by Alcone. Our foundation is wonderful. It is 50% pigmented as compared to other foundations being around 18%. 

We also have a skin care product named Skin Therapist that is wonderful for dry skin. 

www.limelightbyalcone.com/whitneywlunsford I will provide some before and after pictures. 

I can help you with any questions you may have. We have had so many success stories from our products. 

22688914_10214764367003184_214581238204788718_n.jpg

13417005_10206615515648541_1493819438140138245_o.jpg

i suggest you a very simple natural tip that is focusing on skin cleanining & moisturizing : try moroccan rhassoul clay mixed with rose water and Argan oil. It will clean perfectly your skin and also moisturize it without leaving any oil residue. Apply the mask and leave on 10 minutes, then rinse. Dry lightly with cotton towel and apply 2/3 drops of argan oil on your face. you can use this mask safely twice a week.

For your makeup routine, apply 2/3 drops of Argan oil on your face, wait 5 minutes then you can apply your fondation. Your problem will be solved!!

I have the same problem, unfortunately. Any foundation looks good on my skin :(  I've tried everything. :(

Daily Reviving Concentrate - the one I use right now, but you can find it in a lot of brands e.g. Physitian's Formula, Urban decay, 

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back