Say Hi from Michigan

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, My name is Julie. Now I have had some problems (acne) with my skin face. Hence, I join this forum with the hope of finding out the solution to address this. I think that the bad situation I had recently is due to the dense frequency of make - up.

Hey Julie! @Julienguyen

I've had ongoing problems with acne, too, and just over the past year it has gotten a lot better. There are many things that can cause acne, so it's hard to say that what has worked for me will work for you, since I don't know what the root cause is for you. It could be hormones, makeup, stress, diet, or a combo of these things. For me, I noticed more breakouts around my period. If I had a weekend full of fun and I didn't wash my face before bed, I'd wake up with a pimple or 2. I noticed, too, that if I ate grease-y foods or dairy, that irritated my acne, too. So I think a lot of things go into it. 

That being said, here are some of the things that I have done that have really helped me:

1) Drinking lots of water. Drinking a lot of water helps detoxify the body from the inside out. It's hard for me to remember to drink water, so I got a big reusable cup with a straw and try to keep it with me and filled. For some reason, I drink more when it's out of a straw! Avoid unhealthy, grease-y, sugary foods.

2.) Using non-comedogenic makeup and face wash ONLY. Look for "non-comedogenic" on the label and don't use it if it doesn't say it. That means it won't clog pores. Try easing into a lighter makeup routine for a while and give your skin a day off at least once a week. :)

3.) Wash face every AM and PM, without fail. For me, foam cleansers or light scrubs work best to take off the day's makeup. I prefer natural products, so I like Alba Botanica's ACNEdote Face and Body Scrub in the PM and any super-gentle wash in the AM. I don't scrub insanely...only gently. Pat face dry. If you're frustrated with your acne, I know it's easy to want to scrub like you're gonna scrub it off. I've been there. It doesn't come off. Don't do it!

4.) I used to use toners, but many are too harsh and have lots of chemicals that end up irritating acne more than the salicylic acid or whatever is helping. I like witch hazel, though. It's super mild. 

5.) People think that oil is what makes you break out. Wrong! Only some. Others can actually help balance your oil production if it's kicked into overdrive and causing acne. I've been using Pomegranate oil with a natural vitamin C serum for a while. Check out : https://thebestorganicskincare.com/a-list-of-non-comedogenic-facial-oils/ for a list of oils that won't make you break out. I put mine on before bed. A little goes a long way! (I'm not advertising anything, that's just the best source that came up when I googled "Non-comedogenic Face Oils," and it explains the ratings, too. 

6.) I use a salicylic spot treatment on big honkers overnight. 

7.) No picking! That spreads bacteria below the skin and just makes matters worse. It's the hardest thing ever, I know. But it leaves scars, which are harder to get rid of than pimples. Let them heal naturally; after a while, they'll extract on their own in the shower. 

Maybe I've forgotten something, but those are the biggies. I've seen a huge improvement in my skin. If yours is really bad, consider going to a dermatologist. I would try healing it yourself first though, as the things they prescribe are pretty hardcore on your body. 

Hope this helps! Good luck!

OMG, thank you so much for your very detailed instruction. I really appreciate that and will follow step by step. 

OMG, thank you so much for your very detailed instruction. I really appreciate that and will follow step by step. 
Hi all, My name is Julie. Now I have had some problems (acne) with my skin face. Hence, I join this forum with the hope of finding out the solution to address this. I think that the bad situation I had recently is due to the dense frequency of make - up.
I think maybe you can paint Vitamin E on the acne scars. That is useful for me, Hope also useful for you!

I used to use toners, but many are too harsh and have lots of chemicals that end up irritating acne more than the salicylic acid or whatever is helping. I like witch hazel, though. It's super mild.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back