April 2018 No Buy, Low Buy, Project Pan

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, hope this post finds you very well. 

I am beginning another no buy (replacement of any needed essentials only) and project use it up (focusing on deluxe samples) for April 2018. I'm going to spring clean my life. 

Products I'm using up to begin the month:

• Mary Kay eye shadow sample card - Real Teal
  • Estee Lauder Eye Makeup Remover - left over from the 2014 Holiday Blockbuster makeup set!
  • Skin Iceland Glacial Facial Wash mini - from Ipsy
  • Tocca Bianca Body Scrub mini - great Birchbox sample
  • 111 Skin minis - I received a mini of the Cryo Activating Hydro Gel in a fabulous Space NK GWP last May. I also received a mini of the line's Space Defense Bright Eye Lift Gel in an Ipsy Offer last year. I was excited to try the line. The products originated with a plastic surgeon in London who worked researchers studying the skin of astronauts, as aging is highly accelerated in space. I used the products last night and I'm not in love with the scent or the way they feel on my skin, but I'm going to use them all up. 
By not buying anything but essentials, I'm hoping to spring clean from my life another credit card this month. This particular card is not particularly good in terms of fees and interest rates, so I want to pay it off and close it completely. I have already paid my minimum payment for this month and my balance now is: $376.85. Yesterday I received in the mail my statement showing the zero balance from the card I paid off last month. How clean and crisp the paper appeared, and how good it felt to look at it. I felt I had worked hard to earn that paper, and felt proud. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Having a rough time on my No Buy. I think I will have to abandon my goal of paying off one debt a month. I feel quite bad about that, but something's up with my job. I think my office will be closing, but I can't tell exactly what's going to happen. Luckily I have work lined up with my second job, so it won't be the end of the world, but for now, my only focus has to be getting ahead on bills in case there is a gap in paychecks. I can't pay extra debt now. 

To make it seem like this is a fun part of my project instead of an unfortunate circumstance, I set up on my calendar, in pretty inks, a layout of my bills for the month to check off, and on the side a list of the products I am working to finish this month. 

Also Yves Rocher sent me a spring catalog with beautiful offers, and I really want to buy. But I don't need anything at all, so I can't justify it. I really am enjoying my 111 Skin eye and face gel samples, however. They are really unique and great products! The face gel is supposed to be like a cryotherapy treatment for the skin. It is very soothing, calming, healing. I love having samples because I get to try these expensive products that are way out of my budget range. 

Give yourself a big hug @EdithS2! Love yourself unconditionally. You are doing the best you can and you are doing amazing with your no buy! It's ok to feel down or have to change course if circumstances arrive. This was the biggest learning curve for me. I used to be all or nothing but once I changed my mindset around that, my urges to purchase and do stuff lessened. It's not easy everyday but just know that you are doing great! If you are feeling uneasy about your job situation, follow and honor your intuition and paying off the bill can wait. You are doing amazing!!!

Give yourself a big hug @EdithS2! Love yourself unconditionally. You are doing the best you can and you are doing amazing with your no buy! It's ok to feel down or have to change course if circumstances arrive. This was the biggest learning curve for me. I used to be all or nothing but once I changed my mindset around that, my urges to purchase and do stuff lessened. It's not easy everyday but just know that you are doing great! If you are feeling uneasy about your job situation, follow and honor your intuition and paying off the bill can wait. You are doing amazing!!!
Thanks so much for your thoughtful words. I got my extra paycheck from my second job and I did pay off that credit card bill I wanted to eliminate this month [$376.85]! I just have to wait for it to post, and close my account. So my goal is accomplished for this month. Now I will work on my month's bills and products I'm using up with peace of mind. 

I'm blessed because I adore my second job. They invited me for more work too. It's AMAZING to have two paychecks. What a difference it makes. 

I thought I would do a little update, as we are about halfway through April. I had such fun early this month discovering the 111 Skin brand through my samples. What an interesting brand. I have moved on to my sample of Clarins UV Plus, which came in my May 2017 curated Birchbox. I am still enjoying my plan so much, but at the same time, feeling a bit more longing to shop and be lazy. I bought a book, which is not a necessary item, but I wanted it very badly, and my library does not have it - it was $4.99. Then - and I feel a bit bad about this - I decided I was running low on cotton pads, and purchased some from Chanel that cost $20.00! I got to choose two samples with my order, and opted for the Gabrielle fragrance and eye makeup remover. I'm sure I'll really love the special cotton and use it all up, however. I am still going through the process of closing my credit card that I paid off this month. I'm going through my samples at a good pace, not too fast, and not too slow. I keep sailing on. 

Still working on things!

I finished my Clarins UV Plus sample. Now I'm finishing some samples from the L'Occitane Summer Treasures Beauty Calendar that came out last May. It was like an advent calendar box, but had a beach scene. I am using the Peony Perfecting Cream and Terre de Lumiere Balm, and also the Almond Soap, which I think is from the Winter 2016 L'Occtiane calendar. 

I got my Chanel cotton pads and samples, but have not looked at them yet. They came in a large Chanel gift box. When I opened the gift box, I saw a layer of tissue paper and an impressive looking black seal. It was too pretty to open, so I did not open it. I'm using it to motivate myself instead. When I finish my current pack of cotton pads [generic Dollar General ones], I will open that box. Hopefully I'll have more progress to celebrate by then. At that time I will take inventory of samples I have left in my project, and reorganize them all in that Chanel gift box. Until then, the box shall remain untouched.

Money. I'm glad I paid my credit card off at the beginning of the month. It was worth it. They are trying to talk me out of closing it, so I will be around to pay a $99 annual fee. The bank told me I was unwise when I called to close it, that it looks good on my credit report. I told them sincerely I do not trust myself with the card. They laughed at me. I stood my ground. They finally closed it and said if I do not call to reinstate it by the 25th, it will be closed for good. It will be nice not to have that bill to pay next month. I have other credit cards that are far better. 

I made it through No Buy April! I did pretty well, though I sense myself becoming a little more tired, lazy, and tempted. I try not to look at beauty promos online (I don't dare), but sometimes I get promos in the postal mail, and they tempt me! They make me want to order! Yves Rocher is killing me - I love their new summer collection, "Maracuja". I must wait until I need to replace something. I'm tired and it's hard to work two jobs, but I want to succeed at it, so badly! But I paid a credit card off this month. I'll be back for a May No Buy, and I have more plans. See you in the lovely month of May, in a few hours. 

Latest posts

Back