• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to MakeUp Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Hair removal in the bikini area.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes! I've had it done about 5 times. The results are GReAT...if you go to a legit place. I've had 4 good and 1 bad experience. Let me share...So the first 4 times were at a good place where I live here in San Diego. It wasn't the top most expensive place (stuff tends to be really expensive here in SD), but it was definitely better than the cheapcheapcheap places that make you wonder how they can get by. It was a cute boutique med spa.

Anyway, so I did underarms and...wait for it...Brazilian. Yup. Yes. It hurts. After the first session, it was amazing how much less hair grew back. They say it can be up to 50% less, but I'll be conservative and say maybe 30%-40% less. You can definitely tell. Even after that first session, when I shaved my bikini line, I got so much less razor burn like I normally would. It was cool. So, I did 4 more sessions total. I have like 2-3 random hairs that grow in each armpit now and maybe a couple in my whole bikini line. My actual lady part still has hair, it's maybe like 75% gone. I know that with 3 more sessions or so It'll be gone, but I'm actually happy with having a little ground cover there so I'm going to leave it as is. 

Now for the bad experience...

@ewoods So laser hair removal works best if the skin is light and the hair is dark. That's what makes me an ideal client. If your hair is lighter and your skin darker than mine, you'll have different results. The bad experience happened when I was tan. Yes, I stayed out of the sun for 4 weeks before the session, but I was still tan, even then. In fairness, the lady warned me. She said that the laser works by sensing the dark hair and zapping it. If your skin is too dark, it can confuse the laser and cause it to zap the skin instead. She said that she could do the session, but I have a higher risk of getting burned. I told her she could continue, thinking my tan wasn't so bad. 

The thing with the laser is that it does hurt. So even though I was getting burned, I didn't know it because I thought it was just the normal lasering pain. It wasn't until I got home that I could see little dots of redness where the laser had burned me in my bikini area, where I was tan. Not like 3rd degree burn, but not just like a sunburn, either. Luckily, it was a surface burn so I was crazy about salve and healing ointments so it wouldn't scar. It didn't, thank God! I was crazy about ointments and stuff, though. Every AM and PM I'd slather it on and walk around naked till it soaked in a little haha. 

In retrospect, I've learned not to have a tan whatsoever when lasering. Assuming you are a good candidate for laser, don't do it now, right before summer. Maybe do your first session in October/November and do it through till before next summer. 

And find a legit place. For the record, I'm not a fan of Laser Away. Their nurse isn't on site (she skypes you in the consult room...) and they're sales-driven. I feel like they'd recommend something for it's dollar amount and not necessarily because it's best for you. I went there for tattoo removal. (Tattoo is still there.) Also, they don't use the LightSheer laser machine which I know works for me. Hope this helps! 

Last edited by a moderator:
@ewoods So laser hair removal works best if the skin is light and the hair is dark. That's what makes me an ideal client. If your hair is lighter and your skin darker than mine, you'll have different results. The bad experience happened when I was tan. Yes, I stayed out of the sun for 4 weeks before the session, but I was still tan, even then. In fairness, the lady warned me. She said that the laser works by sensing the dark hair and zapping it. If your skin is too dark, it can confuse the laser and cause it to zap the skin instead. She said that she could do the session, but I have a higher risk of getting burned. I told her she could continue, thinking my tan wasn't so bad. 

The thing with the laser is that it does hurt. So even though I was getting burned, I didn't know it because I thought it was just the normal lasering pain. It wasn't until I got home that I could see little dots of redness where the laser had burned me in my bikini area, where I was tan. Not like 3rd degree burn, but not just like a sunburn, either. Luckily, it was a surface burn so I was crazy about salve and healing ointments so it wouldn't scar. It didn't, thank God! I was crazy about ointments and stuff, though. Every AM and PM I'd slather it on and walk around naked till it soaked in a little haha. 

In retrospect, I've learned not to have a tan whatsoever when lasering. Assuming you are a good candidate for laser, don't do it now, right before summer. Maybe do your first session in October/November and do it through till before next summer. 

dollar amount and not necessarily because it's best for you. I went there for tattoo removal. (Tattoo is still there.) Also, they don't use the LightSheer laser machine which I know works for me. Hope this helps! 

I cannot trust in laser over that so sensitive area. Never would trust enough in that procedure at least the user have enough borned child. And still I have some kind on fear on cancer issues.

Latest posts

Back