May 2018 No Buy, Low Buy, Project Pan

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I can't believe it's May already, and I've been working on this project since last December. This is a crucial month for me. I've been trying for years to successfully complete a No Buy and Project Pan. In 2007 and 2008, I started on New Year's and made it to the middle of May both times, and that was the longest I've lasted on a project like this. I want to break my own record. In both of those prior attempts, I was happy on my No Buy; I felt in control, and was making progress. Then May would arrive, I would see something I wanted very badly, and I would give in. I felt so bad when this happened, and then I was not able to get back on my project. It was like I had been under a magic spell that was broken, and I couldn't get back into the No Buy state. I would go back to my old way. I had not been on the No Buy long enough to make the lasting changes I want and need for my life. 

May goals:

• Pay off a debt of $443
  • I am still working on my Glossybox of face cream minis. I am using an average of three minis a month. I am currently using l'Occitane Divine Oil, in an adorable tiny glass bottle with a little dropper. I am also working on: Crabtree and Evelyn shampoo and conditioner minis; Clarins travel size cleanser; Natura Bisse eye cream foil pack; Doux Me masque deluxe sample; Borghese mascara mini; Mary Kay eye shadow duo sample card in Onyx; Estee Lauder eye makeup remover; l'Occitane Almond bath soap; l'Occitane Terre de Lumiere body balm deluxe sample; and Dollar General brand cotton pads. 
  • I MUST work hard on my second job this month! 
That's it to start! I hope to be back with good updates soon. 

Great goals @EdithS2! Keep going! You are doing awesome! I'm still on my no buy so I haven't been buying anything. Just using various samples and products I already have and it feels so good not to add to the stuff I already have. ?

Back with an update. I have achieved my goal of paying off my $443 debt this month.

Last month when I needed to buy some new cotton pads, I purchased the "Le Coton" from the Chanel site. Though extravagant, this has proved very useful, as they sent me a huge gift box at no charge. I was able to use the large gift box to consolidate the samples I still need to use. It's amazing that I've been working so hard since mid-December at using up my samples and I still have so much to get through. 

What's in my new Chanel box?

• A mini micellar water, cleansing oil, face bar, toner, and foil pack scrub.
  • Six eye shadow sponge applicators and two little boxes of Mary Kay eye shadow sample cards.
  • One mini shower gel and one mini bath soap.
  • A bag of Sisley samples. I had the Sisley Beauty Subscription from December 2016 through August 2017, and I loved it. I still have samples from May through August of 2017 - 3 face lotions; 3 perfumes; 1 body lotion; 1 hand cream; 1 eye cream; 1 toner; 1 face masque; 1 eye masque. 
  • 13 mini face creams - from Birchbox, Sephora, Yves Rocher, Mirenesse, and Petit Vour. It has been taking me about 10 days to use a face cream mini, so I am using about 3 a month. At that rate, I estimate that I will finish all my face cream minis around October. 
  • 2 mini eye creams.
  • 11 perfume vials. I really need to stop hoarding my perfume vials and use them before they evaporate and turn to alcohol. 
That's my Chanel box. I made use of all the wonderful extras they sent me. They sent me a little black folder with my invoice and a postcard. I used the postcard to make a checklist of my products to use up and will store it in the black folder. They also sent me samples in a little black drawstring pouch. The whole purchase was divine. Of course the cottons are as soft as little clouds.

Apart from the Chanel box, I also have a large makeup bag of mini conditioners and hair products, a large makeup bag of mini body lotions, and a large makeup bag of mini face masques to use up. 

One more week of this lovely month to get things done. I'm doing really well as I come to the last week of the month. 

I finished the last of my l'Occitane face oil mini last night. That means that this morning I was able to start a summer mini project I have been really looking forward to - using up several wonderful samples I have left from my May, June, July, and August 2017 Sisley beauty subscription bags.  From my May 2017 "May Flowers" bag I have: Eau Tropicale EDT sample spray vial, and mini of Sisleya Radiance Anti-Aging Concentrate. I am still working on some other samples as well, besides the Sisley ones. 

I had a really good month of earnings, and I think this week I will be able to complete my June goal of paying off the next credit card in my debt snowball a little early.

I've been happy, and last week a had a rare treat of Saturday off, and I realized at the last minute that a Royal Wedding was going on. I got to watch it live Saturday morning, and I had such a great day. I loved it! 

Last edited by a moderator:
I made it through May No Buy! That means I've broken my record, and this is the longest I've ever lasted on a No Buy. I'm still working on my goal to pay off one debt each month. I completed my May goal of paying a $443 debt, and today I completed my June goal early, paying a debt of $487.56. That's a total of $930.56 paid off this month. I have high hopes for June! 

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back