In need of your expertise for a complete skincare overhaul!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and in need of your skincare expertise. I'm currently overhauling my skincare regimen and am feeling overwhelmed by the number of options. I'm hoping that you all can help me narrow down products based on my particular needs:

• A deep cleansing wash that is proven to reduce pore size
  • An exfoliator (on the aggressive side) to improve skin texture/smoothness and reduce pores
  • A serum or moisturizer that provides significant hydration
  • A face mask for deep pore cleansing
  • Eye cream that is proven to reduce puffiness and dark circle
  • Acne treatment to aggressively deal with light breakouts - ideally for the entire body
I appreciate any and all insight and recommendations around these needs! :) Dee

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not the products you use, but how and when you use them that makes a difference. For example, I exfoliate my skin every day, that's too much for some people. I like a 4-step routine. in practice, I combine steps 1 & 2, as I have done below. Also, if you have oily skin, don't be tempted to wash your face too much, twice a day is fine. Too much and you will strip your skin of its natural oil, and cause it to produce more, not exactly what you want or need.

1) Wash with a gentle cleanser and 2) use a face brush or cloth to gently exfoliate

3) Toner -- I use witch hazel with no alcohol in it

4) Moisturiser -- may add an eye cream or serum to my night routine

A deep cleansing/exfoliating masque once a week.

I like to keep it simple, there's a better chance I'll actually do it that way. My general rule of thumb when applying creams and serums is lightest to heaviest. Serums tend to be lighter, so that would go first. Creams are heavier, so they go next. That way the heavier product won't keep the lighter product from being absorbed by the skin. 

Of course, you have to evaluate and see how your skin reacts. Some people don't like to exfoliate every day, it irritates their skin. Also, if you haven't been exfoliating, you may get some flakyness at first, this is just excess dead skin cells sloughing off. If you get red and irritated, you are exfoliating too hard or too often.

And always wear sun screen, regardless of the weather or season. This will protect your skin and preserve all your hard work.

Hope this helps.

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and in need of your skincare expertise. I'm currently overhauling my skincare regimen and am feeling overwhelmed by the number of options. I'm hoping that you all can help me narrow down products based on my particular needs:

• A deep cleansing wash that is proven to reduce pore size
  • An exfoliator (on the aggressive side) to improve skin texture/smoothness and reduce pores
  • A serum or moisturizer that provides significant hydration
  • A face mask for deep pore cleansing
  • Eye cream that is proven to reduce puffiness and dark circle
  • Acne treatment to aggressively deal with light breakouts - ideally for the entire body
I appreciate any and all insight and recommendations around these needs! :) Dee
Keeping my skin feel hydrated throughout the day was a big challenge for me too. Ironically, I had just posted something similar replying to a post about ”my daily routine“, then saw your post trying to address an issue that I’ve been facing, so I thought I’d share again.

In general I have very decent skin, but I have problem areas that gets affected by eczema once in a while that cause red itchy, flaky patches. Mainly on the forehead, on the sides of my nose, on the jawline and on my neck. It was very frustrating. I used to put on various type of products that “claim” will lock in moisture all day. After toning, I would put on a hydrating essence , then layer it with hydrating serum followed by moisturizer. After finishing up with my usual makeup routine, I would spritz the whole face with this grape water mist to try and lock in everything. However, by the end of the day I will still see skin flakes all around the face. T-zone is all oily. I‘ve tried all sorts of face mask ranging from korean hydrogel mask to high end magnet mask, which feels really good during application, but just not seeing much results after the fact. Then just like you, always looking for something else that would do a better job. I recently decided to try Rodan and Fields after seeing numerous posts of success stories from people I know. So this is what I started to incorporate into my daily routine and have so far seen really good results in terms hydration. So this is something I use during the day, at night then I would incorporate the cleansing mask from the Redefine regimen. I particularly like this cleanser because it’s like a cleanser and mask in one. It applies like a mask, you leave it for few minutes to dry which will help with deep cleaning the pores, it also has microbeads that will exfoliate when you go wash off the mask... It really does leave your skin baby soft. In any case, with this regimen shown in the photo, my skin is still feeling hydrated at the end of the day. I tell you, I was taken by surprise at the difference that I saw compared to everything that I used to use. It’s actually less step but more effective. Feel free to visit the links below for more info and let me know if you have any questions. Thanks.

Step by step:

1. Applied the Redefine toner. (I don't usually cleanse my face in the morning with actual cleanser, just water)

2. Applied Active Hydration Bright Eye Complex around the eye, followed by the layer of Redefine Multi-Function Eye Cream

3. Applied Active Hydration Serum all over the face, followed by a layer of Redefine Triple Defense Treatment

View attachment 20987

Latest posts

Back