Need Advice! Building up kit, need opinions!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am currently attending MUA classes in Honolulu and need advice with building up my kit. I’ve heard buying everything in Palette form always helps but some of them are pretty pricey. I was thinking of just getting a good drugstore foundation in different shades but I feel like it would take up space. I might just bite the bullet and purchase an RCMA foundation palette but I’m being really indecisive at the moment. To any MUA(either starting out like me or have years of experience) which would be better in the long run and also any words of advice as far as building up your kit goes? I’m very overwhelmed Lol 

A big reason as to why I held off for so long building a kit because I was extremely overwhelmed, doubted myself thinking I didn’t have what it takes to be able to do it, or have the money to build it... but over time I bought things here and there and now have a decent kit. Is foundation your biggest concern at the moment ? 

I am currently attending MUA classes in Honolulu and need advice with building up my kit. I’ve heard buying everything in Palette form always helps but some of them are pretty pricey. I was thinking of just getting a good drugstore foundation in different shades but I feel like it would take up space. I might just bite the bullet and purchase an RCMA foundation palette but I’m being really indecisive at the moment. To any MUA(either starting out like me or have years of experience) which would be better in the long run and also any words of advice as far as building up your kit goes? I’m very overwhelmed Lol 
I agree. purchasing everything in palette from is both economical in terms of space and in cost (in the long run).  What would 48 bottles of foundation look like in your kit vs 48 shades of foundation in a palette the size of a small iPad? Yeah you can do the 3 bottle foundation method, but again a foundation palette... Way more options.

Save your kit space for bottles like 99%, brush cleaners, adhesives and adhesive thinners / removers, hand sanitizer, skin prep and removers. (Until the industry invents these things in solid form, and in palette form, bottles only for these things. They are working on it though like with make-up removers). Don't forget about your kit incidentals like Q-Tips, Kleenex, cotton pads, balls, paper towel (blue and white), sponges (white, black, orange, yellow, red, and beauty blenders), etc. these things take up a lot of space. 

Compacts take up less space than loose powders do. Also, they are less messy. 

However, your tear, sweat and dirt kits (yes they are separate kits), are a combination of loose, palettes, and bottled products, including the specific tools for each kit such as brushes, sponges, socks, blowers, wipes, droppers, etc. and removers.

For your airbrush kit, medium sized bottles work in most situations, unless there is job specific colour or colours, then you would need large and refill sized bottles. Don't forget your thinners and cleaners, these should come in large bottle formats, and hot towels for removal.

Your skin prep kit should include bottled products in liquid and in cream formulations.

Your facial hair kit should include compact, loose, palettes, and bottled products.

Make sure when you pack your kit, keep bottles tightly closed (but don't over-tighten!) and in an upright position. Experience has taught me to store bottles in Zip-loc bags and then store them in my kit. Keep like products together, example, adhesives in one bag, removers in another. Unless they are a kit unto itself, such as 3rd Degree or Green Marble SeLr ageing system.

Latest posts

Back