OILY SKIN HELP!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone.. I suffer from really oily skin and sometimes I get dry and oily in one place.. anyways I can’t seem to find a primer, foundation, concealer or eye shadow base that will actually work. Everything seems to just sit on top of the oil and with one touch my foundation comes off completely and powdering my concealer seems to make its crack and show my under eye wrinkles more. I have the plouise base and use it exactly how you’re suppose to and still my eyeshadow creases. I’m a beautician myself and I can’t for the love of god find ANYTGING that makes my makeup sit on my face ... any advice would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is your skin care routine like? I used to have a very oily skin until I added skin care oils into my regimen. It sounds weird to put oil on an oily skin but it actually works as long as it's an oil product intended for oily skin so it doesn't cause breakouts. Also I really personally like the Pixi Glow tonic for keeping my pores clean and prepping my skin for moisturizer and foundation. I noticed that if I use a skin care oil before a moisturizer my foundation lasts longer.

Yeah! I can relate how frustrating it is, really. Thanks Reija! I learned new today. Will try my luck! 

Yeah, I agree with Reija, some products seem counter-intuitive at first, but the results do work and in the same vein as her suggestion, ensure that your skin care products say they are made for oily skin types. Also make sure that you're make-up is made for oily skin as well.

Since oily skins tend to break down make-ups faster, (that's the unfortunate reality) you also need to touch up your make-up more frequently throughout the day using either blot papers (the blue ones work best) or non build-able powders such as blot powders or no-colour powders. 

With concealers, less powdering is better (again this seems counter-intuitive at first) but concealers just need to be matte, not overly powdered or else your concealer will crack... As you've already found out. Also don't apply a thick layer of concealer, the thicker the product on your face, the more chance it will crack on you, especially around the eye area. There is a lot of pigment in concealers already for them to do their job, so no need to pile it on. And a light powdering will set it just fine. Just remember to lightly touch it up throughout the day.

Foundations can be applied with a heavy hand if need be, however less is more is the golden mantra of make-up application.

Good luck Tarah95

What is your skin care routine like? I used to have a very oily skin until I added skin care oils into my regimen. It sounds weird to put oil on an oily skin but it actually works as long as it's an oil product intended for oily skin so it doesn't cause breakouts. Also I really personally like the Pixi Glow tonic for keeping my pores clean and prepping my skin for moisturizer and foundation. I noticed that if I use a skin care oil before a moisturizer my foundation lasts longer.
This actually looks very useful. Thank you for sharing this.

oily skin can be so annoying! i've had oily skin pretty much forever. previously, it was dehydrated which just made the oil even WORSE, however even now when my moisture barrier is in tip-top shape, i'm still pretty oily.

pH balanced cleansers are one of the most important things to me. the second i start using a high pH cleanser, or something that lathers way too much, my oily skin goes into overdrive. bioderma sensibio micellar water, simple moisturising wash, la roche posay dermo cleanser, la roche posay micellar water for reactionary skins are some of my favorites.

a BHA is awesome! i love stridex ($8AUD) - it's a bit harsh but now that my acne is gone away, i only use it ever 3-4 days. i find it definitely helps with my oily skin and i can notice a difference in my oil production if i slack off using it.

using rich moisturisers and oils in the PM also help me a lot. my skin is very prone to getting dehydrated - so i try to keep on top of that. embroylisse lait creme concentrate ($29AUD), la roche posay toleriane rich ($29 AUD), rosehip oil ($8AUD) and shea butter ($13AUD) work amazing for me. they keep my skin smooth, moisturised but not overly greasy to the point i'm uncomfortable.

i've found in warmer months, i don't use moisturiser in the am - i just use a gentle cleanser/micellar water -> rosewater -> sunscreen. this really keeps my face a lot less greasy throughout the day, and because my skin is naturally oily the sunscreen provides enough moisture for the day and then at night i slather my skin in rich moisturisers and oils.

finding sunscreens has been tough, so far my two favorites are the biore watery essence ($20AUD 2-pack) and the la roche posay antheolios ultra light ($28AUD) - they're both light, lotion type textures that sink straight into my skin with no residue. alcohol denat is high up in the ingredient list if that's a concern for you, however it has not been an issue for me.

blotting sheets are a must - you can get them in all different stores or online for pretty cheap. i find most brands work about the same and in summer they're an essential for me.

overall, i find being gentle to my oily skin keeps it in best condition. i'm always trying and testing new products, since i have lots of friends and family in the beauty industry (so i get a ton of samples all the time, plus i always go and get my own samples too), so my recommendations are constantly shifting.

Latest posts

Back