Adhesive for beauty project

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm doing a photoshoot and was highly inspired by Jordan Liberty's skull. I wanted to do something like this, with the spikes. I've tried to use eyelash glue to do this but it doesn't hold. I'm also afraid that spirit gum will be too harsh on the face.

Any recommendations?

673a7c1ab6c35ddec4876131eee3b8cd.jpg

Eyelash glue will work such as Duo, It's a latex-based adhesive. Make sure the Duo is semi dry before you glue anything. Spirit gum will work, and no it's not harsh on the face. (You're thinking of rigid and flexible collodion) again make sure it's extremely tacky before you glue anything to it for maximum adhesion. Pros-Aide will work best, again ensure it's dry on both surfaces before you start gluing anything for best results.

For best results the key strategy here is any adhesive that you use has to be almost dry to dry before you start gluing anything to the face. For specific instructions you'll have to search online for them as it's for Professional Use Only, and manufacturers assume professionals know how to use the product already, as make-up adhesives are a two step process before they become activated. And each step is completely different for each type of adhesive, hence the limited directions on the bottle/packaging, 

Also make sure you have the correct remover! Also this look you're trying to reproduce is around the eye area, so be very extra careful around the eye area. All the adhesives I've mentioned say not to use around the eye area including Duo, but with going slow and being very careful it will work. Ensure your model has his/her eyes closed. If you're a novice make sure you have a few bottles of eye drops (Visine) handy and a pitcher of cool water close by just in case you have to wash an eye out.

If you get adhesive in their eye, I am not gonna lie, it's gonna hurt, hurt like in a sharp drilling burning kind of way. The model's first reaction is to grab their eye and rub a closed eye. Ensure they don't. Both of you need to keep calm, let them gasp and breath deeply. If you are calm, they will become and remain calm as well. Talking to them in a calm voice usually helps, also talking about what you are doing helps them remain calm.

Tilt their head back, try to force their eye open with one hand while squeezing an entire bottle of Visine in their almost open eye, if it's an open slit, that's ok, as long you see their eyeball. Start flushing with the Visine from the tear duct (inner corner), try prying their eye more open as you begin with the eye wash. Two bottles are a good flush for the initial wash. While their head is still tilted back get a pitcher of cool water and start flushing their eye out by slowly and steadily pouring the entire pitcher of water over their eye, ensuring you avoid their nose and mouth, tilting their head slightly to the side will help in this. If your model is ok at this point, let them flush their eye out at a sink for about 15 minutes. Don't worry about your floor, you can mop that up later. Let's hope this scenario won't come down to this.

Why not flush from the sink in the first place? It's the time to get to the sink and the body / face angle will be awkward for both of you. Best to start flushing at your station first, then move to the sink for the completion of the eye wash.

Apologies if I am being preachy, and I am guessing you're not a novice either based on the look you're going to do.

Good luck with your photoshoot.

Back