Brown or black mascara/liner?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello.

I seem to be one of those people that very easily looks clownish with makeup. Simple things that universally work for others make me look... overdone? Or just not right. It's taken me years to understand that less is usually more in my particular case. I'm a dark eyed, dark (brown) haired person which according to many people means I should go for black liner/mascara, and that brown is for lighter tones of hair/eyes (at least that's what I keep reading). While I haven't gone and tried a brown mascara or liner yet, I do know that black just somehow isn't looking right? Maybe it's all in my head (I do have BDD/PTSD and in general find it very hard to NOT feel like an ugly ogre) but usually what is an average amount of liner/mascara for others on me looks like I've just gotten ready for the circus. Or at least that's how I feel.

I should probably mention that while I have dark eyes and hair, my skin is more on the pale side. Could that be why black is looking too strong on me?

I am also a person with black eyes and black hair. I make makeup every day when I go out. This is one of my happiest things. I can become very confident when I finish makeup , and I can also attract men. I use very good cosmetics and will not damage the skin. It is also very easy to go home and remove makeup every night.

That totally depends on one's complexion. If you have lighter skin you can go with any of the mascara black/brown. For a person with black eyes and hair brown mascara will work perfectly, Else it totally depends on one's choice what kind of makeup they want to have.

Hello.

I seem to be one of those people that very easily looks clownish with makeup. Simple things that universally work for others make me look... overdone? Or just not right. It's taken me years to understand that less is usually more in my particular case. I'm a dark eyed, dark (brown) haired person which according to many people means I should go for black liner/mascara, and that brown is for lighter tones of hair/eyes (at least that's what I keep reading). While I haven't gone and tried a brown mascara or liner yet, I do know that black just somehow isn't looking right? Maybe it's all in my head (I do have BDD/PTSD and in general find it very hard to NOT feel like an ugly ogre) but usually what is an average amount of liner/mascara for others on me looks like I've just gotten ready for the circus. Or at least that's how I feel.

I should probably mention that while I have dark eyes and hair, my skin is more on the pale side. Could that be why black is looking too strong on me?
I was thinking lately that I am tired of black mascara. I once saw that Clarins had made a lovely soft grey mascara for the Russian market.  There is also the option of burgundy and navy blue mascara. Maybe even a clear mascara. I wanted to try blonde mascara - I saw Burberry had one - as the tips of my lashes are blonde. I think light lashes are pretty.  I have used brown mascara. I do really like it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello.

Skip the liner altogether. Go with a brown mascara, one coat. Two, if you want a bolder look.

In my opinion black suits the brown eyes and dark hair. I have not tried putting on brown eye liner or mascara but its good to try new things out. If that works on you, you are good to go. I always put black eye liner and mascara and i guess it does not look odd.

I use brown liner and black/brown mascara. It looks so much softer, yet still bold enough on my best light skin and chestnut hair color. I usually use an espresso color liner, I’ve even used brow penicils that were too creamy, within the soft brown or brown color range.

Latest posts

Back