Makeup brushes : For what ?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Makeup Talk,

I read many posts about makeup brushes. I have never used them, except blush on my cheeks and a beauty blender to apply foundation. Which makeup brushes do you use? And for what?

Can someone explain to me the basics? (Without giving details of makeup artists)

Thanks,

Cathy

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did you use a blush brush to apply your blush instead of a sponge or your fingers? The reason you used a blush brush is for a quick accurate placement of colour that looks diffused.

The same reason is true for other make-up brushes that you would use for say liquid eye liner, eye brows, shadows etc. So you can have an overall clean polished look.

Typically there are three sized brushes: Small (for shadows), Medium (for blush), Large (for powder). The smaller the brush, the finer the detail you get, like replicating eye brows hairs for example, or doing a cat eye liner look. Medium brushes are for blushers. Larger brushes give you a softer finish, like powdering, even foundation placement. For example the surface area of your Beauty Blender that touches your face would be the same size in area as a foundation brush, and you would use that same Blender application technique as you would with a foundation brush. So already you know how to use a foundation brush... And a blush brush. 

I know you just wanted the basics without going into too much detail. Going into the basics of what each brush does would be too long and too time consuming here, as there are so many sized brushes out there and what they can do, as one brush can have three different uses, for example a lip brush can be used for lips, as a concealer brush and as a liner brush. It all depends on how you use it. Perhaps someone else on this forum will give their basic reasons as to why brushes... I am also curious as to their reasons as well. Hth Cathy. 

Sorry, I did not see your message. Thank you so mush for these explanations ?

So, do your recommend the blush or the beauty blender for liquid foundation ?

Girls on youtube use blush, so I suppose it is better ?

I would like to try it but blushes are a bit expessive and I am not sure of the result.

Cathy

Sorry, I did not see your message. Thank you so mush for these explanations ?

So, do your recommend the blush or the beauty blender for liquid foundation ?

Girls on youtube use blush, so I suppose it is better ?

I would like to try it but blushes are a bit expessive and I am not sure of the result.

Cathy
Based on your first post, you already use blush on your cheeks. Do you use your fingers or a blush brush for that? Based on how you worded it, I guessed you used a blush brush. But on your second post, you now say you've never used it... ?Just a little confused... 

As for the Beauty Blender, are you happy with the results you're getting now? If so, then keep using it. But if you want to try something different, you can use a foundation brush to see how you like it. 

You also expressed reservations in terms of cost or expense, yeah, make-up is expensive, (not gonna lie to you on that), but that's the price of doing make-up, whether you're using drug store brands like Revlon or Cover Girl or luxury brands like Givenchy or Tom Ford, the cost adds up, but the results are priceless.

Just to clarify, make-up is meant to have all of its components used to create a complete a look. For example; foundation, concealer, eye shadow, eye liner, mascara, lip liner, lipstick, blush, powder, highlight, etc. You wouldn't just use blush all over your whole face... (I am getting that based on your girls' YouTube comment) as that sounds confusing. For example, better, better in terms of what? Do you mean blush is better than foundation??? Can you please clarify that for me, thanks. 

I use the following brushes while applying makeup:

• Eye shadow brush as it blends the eye shadow well
  • Eye liner brush
  • Blush
  • Lipstick brush(not often)

Back