Getting ready for No Buy 2019!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On December 11, 2017, I decided to undertake a one year No Buy for the upcoming New Year. I was so excited about it. In the weeks before the New Year, while having fun during the holidays, I worked on getting ready for my No Buy. My goal for the No Buy was to pay off some debts. I prepared for my No Buy by organizing all of my cosmetics, listing my debts in my journal, and beginning to use up a shampoo, a holiday scent shower gel, a cleanser, and a face cream foil pack that were almost finished already. They were items that had been sitting on my dresser forever. That really got me in the No Buy mood. 

Goal setting: My goal is always to pay off debts. In past years, I would always declare that "I am going on a No Buy to pay off my credit card debt." Since that is such a large and far away goal for me, I think it was easy to get discouraged and give up as soon as I came across a tempting item. I think this is one reason why my past New Years No Buys always crashed in May. I think this year was more exciting because I set a smaller specific goal. I resolved to pay off not all my debt, but one smaller credit card debt each month. That was exciting for me. The goal proved to be too big to fulfill after six months, but I was able to revise it as the year went on. I ended up paying off not all of my debt, but five credit card debts. That was great. For this year, I have a specific, doable goal of paying off another five credit card debts. It is specific, but realistic. I have a payment plan completely mapped out for each month. 

I will be doing last minute preparations on my debt goals and using up a few last minute items in the coming weeks. I'm excited for No Buy 2019! 

Love this!! Rooting you on!! I'm still on no buy myself as well and after the initial shock, I don't really miss the shopping. It's getting easier to not shop after so much time has gone on. To avoid temptations I delete emails before looking into them so that I don't get a chance to see something I really want. It's an easier decision not to shop when you don't take the time to look at all the amazing new beauty products. When I don't know what I'm missing out on it's not so difficult.

Love this!! Rooting you on!! I'm still on no buy myself as well and after the initial shock, I don't really miss the shopping. It's getting easier to not shop after so much time has gone on. To avoid temptations I delete emails before looking into them so that I don't get a chance to see something I really want. It's an easier decision not to shop when you don't take the time to look at all the amazing new beauty products. When I don't know what I'm missing out on it's not so difficult.
I can't look at anything, or I might crash! I watch You Tube every day, and when I see a video about Birchbox, or Ipsy, or something that would tempt me, I click "Not Interested" really fast. I have my You Tube trained so that it mostly brings up project pan or no buy videos. I used to love to follow the life cycle of the monthly beauty boxes from the speculation to the spoilers to the reveals but can't do so any longer. I used to stay up half the night doing that. I only go to a few safe web sites when I'm getting ready to buy shampoo, or cotton pads. Mainly just Yves Rocher or Nordies and Sephora. I usually just look at the samples page to see if there is a good free sample I can get. I won't look at the "what's new" page or anything else. I have to be really careful and keep my eyes down and it helps that I'm too tired from work to go out! Just one episode of just taking a peek at beauty box spoilers, or watching shopping TV just to have something to listen to while having my dinner have crashed some really good No Buys. 

2019 No Buy is already showing signs of success. In my credit card payment plan, I have two cards down to where they only have 12 monthly payments left, so they will be paid of by the end of 2019 with no extra effort. I have been working on getting credit card three to this level by making extra payments, and I had 13 payments left going into 2019. I thought I would complete an extra payment in January. But when I got my January bill, it said that I now have only have 12 payments to go, not 13. I guess my extra payments eliminated some future interest, allowing me to delete a whole month from my payment schedule. That made me very happy. So now I will begin 2019 paying extra on credit card four. ?

2019 No Buy is almost here. I am getting ready. I made an extra payment on my fourth credit card. On the payment plan I have mapped out, that was my goal for February 2019, so I am way ahead. I think it's good to have a goal that's a bit easy, as then I will get ahead on it and feel great about that. Also I am trying to clean and reorganize. I am not planning to throw anything away at all. I had my cosmetics on a large bookshelf, but I moved that out of my room. It was too bulky. After that it was a bit of a puzzle to find room for everything in my small and cluttered space. I have my shower gels organized by brand, range within brand, and fluid ounces. This weekend I hope to vacuum and clean and organize more.

I did a lot of cleaning and reorganizing in my room yesterday. It was hard work, but I found a lot of very useful things that had been lost and forgotten. 

• I found a Smashbox makeup pencil sharpener that had fallen under the sofa;
  • I found a pair of Anastasia mini tweezers that had fallen into a cardboard box;
  • In a bin of paper clutter, I found an old paperback I have really been wanting to read. I thought I had given the book away, and almost wanted to buy another one, so I was happy to find it there; 
  • I found some pink satin pillow cases I had forgotten about; they prevent hair from becoming tangled during sleep; 
  • I found a mini notebook - just the type I need for work - I was going to go out and buy one. 
The cleaning turned out to be like a mini shopping trip, with me uncovering things I need and want. It was a bit of good luck that makes me feel my 2019 No Buy will be very successful, along with the fact that I am two months ahead on my debt payment plan already! 

Last edited by a moderator:
My goal since this is my first full year focusing on reselling as I work my normal job is to make 400$ each month.  As well as stick with my budget each month. 

Also, I want to focus more on experiences this year and using up my older skincare items and hair care.

My goal since this is my first full year focusing on reselling as I work my normal job is to make 400$ each month.  As well as stick with my budget each month. 

Also, I want to focus more on experiences this year and using up my older skincare items and hair care.
That's awesome! That's a wonderful plan and I know it will be great! 

Latest posts

Back